PDA

View Full Version : New method for cleaning parking lots.

dmc456
12-07-2004, 11:35 AM
While visiting a manufacturing plant in Mexico this morning, I noticed their "grounds crew" and that is a loose term cleaning the parking lot.

There were 4 guys cleaning a parking lot the size of HomeDepot with small kitch brooms and dust pans. They were sweeping up the small pea gravel that collected on pavement. They weren't even push brooms. Just think how much money was saved using little $10 brooms instead of one $400 backpack blower.

My guys are gonna love this idea. I can't wait to tell them we are selling our blowers.

I might have to use this next season to help my bottom line.

KathysLGC
12-07-2004, 11:39 AM
Cool will you ship to CT and if so how much d :blob3: o you want for the blowers?

Mark McC
12-07-2004, 11:40 AM
Pull your tongue out of your cheek when you say that, eh?

out4now
12-07-2004, 11:53 AM
Believe it or not we had to do that at the school sometimes before an event. If the wind had been blowing that day the custodians had to go out there and hit the curblines to dress them back up before things started. Persoanlly I thought it was completely ridiculous but the admistration didn't.

dmc456
12-07-2004, 12:40 PM
Last year, at the same place, I saw the Maintenance crew hand pulling weeds from a gravel area about 30k sqft by hand. This was a decorative area and I couldn't believe they didn't spray them with roundup or something.

These guys were there all week hand pulling weeks and taking them away in buckets.

out4now
12-07-2004, 01:01 PM
Last year, at the same place, I saw the Maintenance crew hand pulling weeds from a gravel area about 30k sqft by hand. This was a decorative area and I couldn't believe they didn't spray them with roundup or something.

These guys were there all week hand pulling weeks and taking them away in buckets.

Can't say we ever did that.

dmc456
12-07-2004, 01:03 PM
If I even joked about doing this I would get linched or be doing it myself.

Kelly's Landscaping
12-07-2004, 07:13 PM
30k sq ft the pain was so bad I did not see the job and my knees just screamed. Thatís just asking for agony picture their bloody finger tips and knuckles from that job I did 100 sq ft last year and let me tell you NEVER AGAIN.

PTP
12-07-2004, 09:20 PM
I was in Honduras last year. Over there, lawnmowers are almost non-existent. They go get themselves a machete, get on their hands and knees, and have at it. They do this by the acre.

Man, am I spoiled or what?

walker-talker
12-07-2004, 10:18 PM
Reminds me of a Bolivian chic I use to date. She came over while I was roto-tilling the garden. She had no idea what a roto-tiller was, let alone the purpose of one. She was absolutely amazed at the piece of machinary.

Aaron Marshall
12-08-2004, 12:33 AM
As long as you are not self employed and get paid by the hour, who the hell cares anyway!!! :blob3: LOL
Aaron

dhess
12-08-2004, 12:44 AM
My guys are gonna love this idea. I can't wait to tell them we are selling our blowers.

I might have to use this next season to help my bottom line.

I had this joker come up to me one time at one of our properties ranting and raving about how we were poluting the environment, destroying the ozone, using up fossil fuels, increasing smog, killing the salamanders (its an austin thing), and even killing old elderly grandmothers.

Well ok all is true except the killing elderly grandmothers :)

Anyway he went on and on about how we should be using brooms and rakes instead of blowers ect blah blah blah.

I kept calm through the whole thing and of course told him that I would take that into consideration and thanked him for bringing that to my attention and I would bring it up at our next board meeting.

He then just drove off furious...

Ohh yeah I forgot to mention he was driving an SUV. :rolleyes:

arborist-28
12-08-2004, 01:09 AM
sometimes you got to have @ it with whatever tools are available ... sounds like the mexican men where determined to get the job done one way or another ...lol ...c

arborist-28
12-08-2004, 01:09 AM
Actually that is an old method hahaha ....c

YardPro
12-08-2004, 07:53 AM
if you could pay your guys $200 per month for 60 hrs a week, then why yould you spend the money on machines either?????

guess you haven't been to south america much.

I got the biggest kick out of seeing 4 guys mowing a yard with macheti's