PDA

View Full Version : Renting equipment

spcfoor
12-07-2004, 11:41 AM
Does anyone here rent equipment to do a job? I am going to rent a billygoat leaf blower for this weekend in order to do 3 leaf cleanups.($60 for 24 hrs.) I am a part-timer hopefully going full time next year. I can only work on the weekends now since it gets dark at 1630.

spcfoor
12-07-2004, 12:10 PM
I'm sorry but it gets dark at 1730.

GreenMonster
12-07-2004, 12:35 PM
yeah, I'm real sorry to say, it gets dark at 16:30 here :cry:

rodfather
12-07-2004, 01:22 PM
I rent a tractor and brush hog a couple of times a year. I used to have one but sold it due to only needing it infrequently. You're alwys better off renting until purchasing is justified by enough use.

Blessed 1
12-07-2004, 03:52 PM
Does anyone here rent equipment to do a job? I am going to rent a billygoat leaf blower for this weekend in order to do 3 leaf cleanups.($60 for 24 hrs.) I am a part-timer hopefully going full time next year. I can only work on the weekends now since it gets dark at 1630.

I rent Log Splitters. I do my leaf clean ups with to Echo PB 650's, mulching then bagging. I hear ya on the getting dark. It gets dark here @ 1730 as well. I work on my regular job till 1700 so I am constrained to working weekends and to make it worse, my job is going to work this Saturday. It doesn't pay for me to turn down overtime @ $40 hr (on my butt) to work my tail off for $60/hr and have to pay help and expenses out of that.

1MajorTom
12-07-2004, 05:02 PM
You're alwys better off renting until purchasing is justified by enough use.

Good advice, that's what we do. Matt always rents a chipper and a stump grinder when needed, just not worth it for us to buy one.

Husky03
12-07-2004, 05:07 PM
I have rented a bed edger for the couple big mulch jobs I did this season. I can't see buying one anytime soon unless I start mulching a lot. It gets dark to the point of not being able to work at 5:45 here. It is great fun getting out of school at 3:00 and trying to get some work done :rolleyes:

Mo Green
12-07-2004, 05:24 PM
As long as you price you leaf cleanups right, $60 isn't bad. Sometimes you have to spend money to make money.

spcfoor
12-07-2004, 05:33 PM
I have one priced at 125 and the two other are but the hour at 35 per hour with a two hour min. They will probably take 3 to 4hrs to do. The customers almost had a fit when I told them 35 per hour. I don't know what other people charge here in tulsa but I thought I was cheap. maybe to cheap.

TLM
12-07-2004, 07:17 PM
Sometimes renting it all week works out better. I rent my Bill Goat for one month and I will get all coustomers serviced in that time. Also some rental stores will sell used equipment at a good price - might give some a call.

spcfoor
12-07-2004, 07:32 PM
I never thought of them selling their used equipment. I may ask

Mo Green
12-07-2004, 07:51 PM
I have one priced at 125 and the two other are but the hour at 35 per hour with a two hour min. They will probably take 3 to 4hrs to do. The customers almost had a fit when I told them 35 per hour. I don't know what other people charge here in tulsa but I thought I was cheap. maybe to cheap.
Don't tell customers your hourly rate. Your sure to get flak everytime you do. The best way is to look at the job, figure how many hours, other fees, and add a little more because it usually takes a little longer than you may think. Then give the customer a price. No need to justify your price. I base my leaf jobs on $45 per hour. Then add dump fees and travel time.

Gatewayuser
12-07-2004, 09:56 PM
I have a friend who will rent me a 48" Bobcat rider for $10 per hour next year, and he will maintain it also. Is that a good deal? Or would I be better off just buying a mower? :help:

Gilla Gorilla
12-07-2004, 10:13 PM
I have rented a fair amount of stuff so far this season. Today I rented a Toro Dingo to dig 39 18" holes about 16 inches deep beside a street that had a ton of gravel backfill and rocks in it, it did great especially when I only had it away from the rental store for 2 1/2 hours and was only charged $178.00 for it well worth the money in this case.
I am actually going to buy a one man power auger tomorrow from Home Depot rental dept. It retails for $467.00 and they are selling it to me for $213.00 I figure that it will be great for using when it comes time to plant one gallon containers or even three gallon plants but will have to round the hole out some with it then do a little finish digging with a shovel possibly. I have a guy that wants me to plant around 100 american boxwoods that are one gallon so it should come in handy then.

If you are looking to buy used equipment then I would find a Home Depot that has a rental department in it, they have been very fair to me when I bought some of their used equipment.

lawnranger44
12-07-2004, 10:18 PM
We rent a bed edger every time we do a mulch job. VERY profitable. payup
We are able to do two or three properties in 4 hours and only have to pay $30 for the rental.