PDA

View Full Version : Wrong # in phone book

cajunboy
12-07-2004, 12:59 PM
This is my first year in the business and placed ad in the yellow pages and when the books came out this fall. In one book my ad was listed twice in yellow pages one with the correct number and once with the wrong number. And then in the white pages a totally different number. 3 different numbers. In the other book it was correct in the yellow but still wrong in the white. They still want me to pay for the one book that has the yellow pages right. A new book doesn't come out until september so this will be my first full year in the business. I am not going to pay them a penny because I feel they have cost me alot of business. Do you think I have the right to some kind of compensation. I have never sued anyone and am not a sue type person but I have a family to feed (5 boys). Or should I just try again next year. Thanks for your comments

Fantasy Lawns
12-07-2004, 01:11 PM
They can have all those numbers call forwarded to the correct number

work_it
12-07-2004, 01:14 PM
I can see where you would have a strong legal case. The question is, "How much did the ad cost you?" The reason I ask is it's the difference between small claims court where you can represent yourself, or finding a lawyer. Take into consideration that they have the money to drag it out in court as long as they want which will end up costing you a ton of money in lawyers fees. Even if you also try to include your lawyers fees in the law suit there's always a chance that you either won't win the case, or you win the case and won't be rewarded the reimbursement for the fees.

I would try to work out something with them where you pay 60% of the ad with the correct number.

cajunboy
12-07-2004, 01:15 PM
They tried and the numbers were taken already and they were not willing to give them up so the phone company said.

work_it
12-07-2004, 01:16 PM
They can have all those numbers call forwarded to the correct number
That's a good idea in concept. The problem lies where the number may belong to another individual or business who doesn't want to forfeit it.

work_it
12-07-2004, 01:18 PM
LOL, you posted that a couple seconds before mine. Guess I could see that one comming.

cajunboy
12-07-2004, 01:18 PM
It wasn't alot of money for the ad but this being my first full year I am trying to establish some customers and it seems like it will take a little longer now. I still plan on doing door hangers but I am not paying for the ad.

work_it
12-07-2004, 01:34 PM
The reason I suggested that you try to work out a reasonable compromise with them is because:
1) they can destroy your credit
2) if your area is like mine you can't hardly get invited to bid on a commercial property unless your business is listed in the yellow pages.
3) if you turn into a total pain in their .....side (yea, that's it...side) they may refuse any future business with them.

Just remember, being a business owner means that you should also show a high level of diplomacy. That always works in your favor if you have to go to court.

Norm Al
12-07-2004, 01:43 PM
you had sign to proof read the ad? was it correct if the proof? if not you shouldnt have to pay!

cajunboy
12-07-2004, 01:47 PM
Thanks for your advise Earth Management. I never really consider sueing them because of going to court and I would like to do business with them in the future but it just ticks me off. Hopefully I will get enough business next season that I wont have to use them at all. The part that sucks is that the phone book is only printed once a year and there is nothing they can do at this point to correct it. I wrote a letter to the company letting them know that I was upset and I did not feel that I should have to pay for it so I will see what happens.

cajunboy
12-07-2004, 01:50 PM
as far as the ad goes it was correct once but they printed it twice in the yellow pages and one is not correct. and in the white pages it has another number. So the ad is correct but the customers don't know what ad is correct.

out4now
12-07-2004, 01:52 PM
Might not hurt to look at a lawyer. Some give free consulataions. Did they breech contract? Sounds like it. Maybe you are entitled to punitive damages? Check the contract closely first,you may have inadvertently agreed to mediation which means you can't sue. Credit cards do it all the time. Long run is they can destroy your credit rating and you can't do a thing except sit there with the mediators while they do it. You may stand a better chance of paying and then battling to get money back because if you don't with hold payment they can't say you didn't pay. If you paid for a service that was not provided as in the contract you may have a better chance possibly? Don't know that's a tough one.

walker-talker
12-07-2004, 02:29 PM
Did you sign off on it?? Like Norm Al said, usually that have a proof. When I have vinyl signs made for my truck door it was the wrong number....and sure enough, I signed off on it. The lady admitted making a mistake also, so they re-did them at no charge, but I got lucky. I felt it was ultimately my mistake and I should have paid if it came down to it.

impactlandscaping
12-07-2004, 03:17 PM
I looked at the contract for my YP ads, and it says if there is any phone number discrepancy after printing, after proof approval, they will issue a full refund for the ad. Re-read your contract and see if you have a clause in it like that...If not, unfortunately, you are pretty much going to have to go after the printer, not the YP Co., to resolve any printing issues. They cover themselves really well....

grass-scapes
12-07-2004, 06:06 PM
you had sign to proof read the ad? was it correct if the proof? if not you shouldnt have to pay!

Heck, mine was wrong this year too. Not the large ad, but the smaller one. They blamed it on the phone company. So, I had 2 numbers, side by side, one right, one wrong. They refused a discount or reimbursment since I didn't have to pay for the one that was wrong anyway. all business lines get a free line listing in the phone book yellow pages....thats the one that was wrong.

I did proof my ad and it was right but I still wonder how much business it cost me

beransfixitinc
12-07-2004, 08:07 PM
What gets me is this... Your white pages listing comes straight from your phone company, be it SBC,SAGE,AT&T, or whomever. If your information with the phone company is not correct, then when it comes out in the phone book, it will of course be incorrect there also. Maybe you were not dealing with a reputable yellow pages company. When we decided (were forced) to place a yellow pages ad, there were approx 3 proofs sent to us before they finally got it right, and that is the one I signed off and sent back. Now, had it been wrong, I highly doubt they'd be getting a cent of our money.

Something else that surprises me is how customers can be so blind in the white pages. In the white pages, we have a yellow listing, which is the little larger bold wording with a yellow background, supposed to make it stand out. Well, to the point of annoying, there have been numerous calls to our fax line (which ended up in the phone book also, and is right above our yellow background listing) from people that show up at our shop and swear every time they tried calling us all they got was a bunch of beeping and screeching. US: So, we ask them, well, what number did you call? CUSTOMER: XXX-XXXX ! US: Well, the reason you got the screeching is that is our fax line.. Did you try calling the other number? CUSTOMER: What other number? US: The number in the phone book below that number. CUSTOMER: There was no OTHER number! (at which point we hand them a phone book and request they show us where they found our number) CUSTOMER: Here is the number I kept calling! (with their finger covering our voice number) US: Ok, now look under your finger.
Never seen so many people turn blush pink.

Fight the yellow pages people.

cajunboy
12-07-2004, 08:54 PM
They did send me a proof and everything was correct but I did not have to sign anything and send it back. Like I said one is correct and the other right below is wrong. First number **5-5962 which is correct and the other ad **6-5962 Looks like same business with 2 numbers. All I can do is hope they call the correct one. But I never signed anything. And as far as the white pages im not sure how that works because my business line is a cell phone. and the number printed in the white pages as **5-5968. Its all screwed up.

HOOLIE
12-07-2004, 09:44 PM
Perhaps you could negotiate a deal for next year, such as a discounted rate or a larger ad for the price of a smaller one. Like others said, I'd check your contract, I'm sure there is some provision for this scenario in it.

I did this with a little community newletter, I paid to run my ad for 2 months, they screwed up and didn't put it in the first month. They gave me the rest of the year for free. I wasn't looking for that much compensation, but since they offered...

fixer67
12-07-2004, 09:53 PM
This will not fix your problem but it may save you from losing a little business. Go to the people that the wrong number belong to and give them your right number and ask them very nicely to give any one who calls them asking for you the right number until you can get the mess fixed. Most people would understand and would do this if you ask nice.

Kelly's Landscaping
12-07-2004, 10:00 PM
I got talked into some local advertising our first year in business they said fax us your card so we did. Then the so-called directory came out only it was nothing but a damm book cover I was pissed but our ad was on so I calmed down. After looking at this for more then 20 mins with my partner it occurred to us what was missing our name?!?! The ad place never double-checked with us and the fax did not read our name, which was in green ink instead of black. They reduced our price of course that was of little help since after seeing their product we knew we would never get a single call from it 2 years later we have still been proven right. A 150 dollar lesson which we got to learn not once but 3 times our first year in business I'll share it with you Do Not Take calls from telemarketers and never buy anything from these thieves. If you wanted it you would have called them.

cajunboy
12-07-2004, 10:13 PM
I would like to know what Bobbygedd would do in this situation. Boy am I opening a can of worms :dizzy:

desert rose gardening
12-07-2004, 10:24 PM
Who looks in the white pages for a service anyway? Your new in the bizz so they don't even know your name to look it up in the white pages. At least you will get some calls since they managed to get one of the yellow numbers right. I know theres fine print in my contract with sbc yellow pages add. Those Bozo's! they screwed up two out of three on yours, I hope you don't have to pay.

lpwhandyman
12-07-2004, 11:41 PM
I would like to know what Bobbygedd would do in this situation. Boy am I opening a can of worms :dizzy:
GRRRR.....finally a thread without him in it and you ask for it? What are you thinking? LOL Here, I'll help you with your withdrawal.....I'd hit them with a shovel and throw them to the back of the bus. Then ya wanna know what I'd do next? I'd go home, drink a case of beer and sharpen my shovel for the next low life scrub. Am I close?

tiedeman
12-08-2004, 01:09 AM
the answer is in the proof. Whether you approved it or not.

arborist-28
12-08-2004, 01:18 AM
really does suck though your out a years worth of advertising basically ...c

NickN
12-08-2004, 10:11 AM
Try contacting them and see if they will mail out a correction for the number.
By doing this,you're guaranteed that everyone will see your ad as they'll have to open the envelope to see what's inside.Have them put a sticky label,with your phone number on it,inside with your ad and what page it can be found on in the phone book.Then people will have the option of sticking the label with your ad.At the least,they'll see you're in business and that there was a mistake with your phone number.
Don't know if they'll do it or not,but this may be a blessing in disguise.