PDA

View Full Version : leaf plows on wright stander or walkers

snap12.5
12-07-2004, 07:43 PM
can anyone post pics of their wright standers or walkers with leaf plows attached??? closeups of mounting bracket will also be appreciated. thanks

Shady Brook
12-08-2004, 12:22 AM
I don't have an pictures, but I would be fearful to put a leaf plow on a Stander. Mine breaks traction to easy compared to my Riders. With fall conditions soil is often soft, leaves often damp and heavy which could likely result in torn up turf. Just a thought before you make an investment. I think the walker may be a good option though.

Good luck

gogetter
12-08-2004, 03:04 AM
can anyone post pics of their wright standers or walkers with leaf plows attached??? closeups of mounting bracket will also be appreciated. thanks

Did you check JRCO's website? I thought they had pics of their stuff on different mowers. I know I've seen a pic of a plow on a Stander in one of their ads somewhere.
Also they have detailed diagrams of their mounting brackets.

snap12.5
12-08-2004, 04:04 PM
thanks for the replies - shady brook-you are saying that the standers dont have enough traction??? maybe they are not heavy enough. or does the plow dig into the lawn to prevent movement??? i would think that the riders would lose traction as well since i think they are equally weighted.

gogetter
12-08-2004, 06:13 PM
thanks for the replies - shady brook-you are saying that the standers dont have enough traction??? maybe they are not heavy enough. or does the plow dig into the lawn to prevent movement??? i would think that the riders would lose traction as well since i think they are equally weighted.

You don't really have to worry about the plow digging in too much. The height is adjustable, and it does have the casters.

Mine is mounted on a 36" belt drive wb. My tires will spin if the ground is too wet and if I'm pushing too big of a pile. It wasn't a constant thing, just when those two things happened at the same time.

When it happens, I either drop some of the pile, or slow down the tires and push a little to help things along.

If you were on a Stander, and absolutely had to, you could use one foot off the back to give it a nudge to help it along. Once it gets going, it's not a problem.
Or you can just drop some of the pile as I stated and then you won't have to "push" at all.

Another quick note. When using it on a wb, I have to keep stopping and putting it in nuetral to go around front and lift or lower the plow.
But I saw a guy with one on a ZTR rider, and he had a chain hooked up to it and the other end of the chain was in his hand.
He would pull back to raise the plow, then use his foot to kick it forward (using the chain to control it so it doesn't SLAM down).
This was definitely more slick then my wb set up. Quicker and easier.

But even on my wb, it's still better then raking the pile onto a tarp and dragging it!!!

Shady Brook
12-08-2004, 08:22 PM
Snap

From my experience my stander breaks traction very easy without a load in the front. It is prone to rut due to all the weight in the rear, and prone to loose traction because the tires are narrow compared to a Z's, at least this is my guess. The weight distribution should be better due to more weight over the rear tires, but yet it still will spin the tires very easy to me.

Just my opinion.

Good luck

impactlandscaping
12-08-2004, 08:33 PM
Shady-What Standers are you using? We did lots of leaf cleanup this fall with our 48's and never experienced any problems like you mentioned.

Shady Brook
12-08-2004, 08:47 PM
I do have a 36" stander which would exagerate the problem. I would be suprised that a 48 would be a great deal better, but am glad it is working well for you.

impactlandscaping
12-08-2004, 08:56 PM
I was going to order 2 JRCO plows, but decided to wait.We didn't even use plows on the Standers, just some of the deeper accumulations piled in front and were carried across the yards, constantly being sucked under the decks, getting mulched, and what was left was placed at the driveway for the Trac Vac. The leftover leaves on the lawns were quickly sucked up with Grass Gobblers.

snap12.5
12-09-2004, 12:07 AM
some good tips.
about the standers - a 36 has tires that are only like 1-1.5'' narrower than a 48''. is that really going to make a difference??? i would assume that a 48'' would rut as well since its tires are only a little wider. how much wider are the tires on lazers?

impactlandscaping
12-09-2004, 12:14 AM
I'm not sure about the Lazers, but I think the tires on my Standers are 10 X 20 or maybe 22. I run about 18-19PSI in them. No rutting problems, either. I weigh 240 and my other 2 guys are 195 and 260.

LawnMowerBoy48
12-09-2004, 01:23 AM
I have a 61" Stander and have had no problems loosing traction. I don't have the leaf plow but I do have the dethatcher. I have pushed large piles of leaves using that and have not had a traction problem.

theturfsurfer
12-30-2004, 09:54 PM
as far as plowing leaves with a walker, no attachment is needed. simply approach a plie of leaves and push starting out slowly. have the blades off and when you are done pushing piles lift up the deck and remove any leaves that are trapped underneath.

LawnScapers of Dayton
12-31-2004, 07:05 AM
I just about burnt up my Stander this fall when leaves got in behind the muffler and caught fire. I was pushing a very large pile when this happened. It was like slow motion.....saw it happening, couldn't stop it. Luckly I was able to get the burning leaves out.

Derek

Itsgottobegreen
01-01-2005, 11:04 AM
My one stander has a cart mounted to it to push my little wonder blower. It has no problems pushing that. I just use the front of the machine to push piles of leaves. Only once I did catch some leaves on fire from doing that. I plan to build a leaf plow for one of the other standers next year.