PDA

View Full Version : Blade Grinder ?

bntt68
12-07-2004, 08:16 PM
I recieved my Oregon grinder today and have a couple of questions. I am having a hard time turning the adjustment wheel for the angle of grind. I have the two lockdown nuts loose. It is very tight. They also did not include how to set up the guards on it. Any help would be appreciated. THANX Brent

bntt68
12-07-2004, 09:07 PM
ANYONE? please help

Smithers
12-07-2004, 10:57 PM
dont know.....but ask travis, the redmaxman....or call the company where you got it from and ask them.

if nothing helps....just asking on here to bring this post back to the top.

twwlawn
12-07-2004, 11:19 PM
I recieved my Oregon grinder today and have a couple of questions. I am having a hard time turning the adjustment wheel for the angle of grind. I have the two lockdown nuts loose. It is very tight. They also did not include how to set up the guards on it. Any help would be appreciated. THANX Brent

I have one, the adjustment knob at first is stiff, just turn it down quite a few times then back the other way, it will loosen up. The guards, the little ones are mounted on both sides of the grinder shield, the T guards are mounted under each side of the table, their is a bolt underneath. Hope this helps, if not PM me.
twwlawn

bntt68
12-08-2004, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the help. I am headed to look at it now.

Smithers
12-08-2004, 11:35 AM
tww

how do you like yours? what kind of blades can it sharpen? i am thinking about getting a grinder for my straight/gator blades or just getting meg-mo's all together.

also, does the oregon "hold" your blades at the correct angle, and all you have to do is put the blades, and they are sharp? or do you have to tell it the angle?

bntt,

give me an update when you start using yours.

Expert Lawns
12-08-2004, 01:04 PM
what model do you have? i love my oregon grinder. time and money saver

twwlawn
12-08-2004, 08:29 PM
[QUOTE=petrentz]tww

how do you like yours? what kind of blades can it sharpen? i am thinking about getting a grinder for my straight/gator blades or just getting meg-mo's all together.

also, does the oregon "hold" your blades at the correct angle, and all you have to do is put the blades, and they are sharp? or do you have to tell it the angle?QUOTE]

I have the model 88-023. Works great, I sharpen gators and high-lifts with no problems. Curve mulching blades, I use a hand grinder on the curves and the straight edge I sharpen on the Oregon with both hands to get that bevel edge. As far as meg-mo's, I don't have them.

To get the correct angle bevel, you have to adjust the grinding wheel up or down, once that is done, lay the blade down flat on the platform level and run it back and forth. The key to all this that I have found and done is to make sure you have the grinding wheel adjusted to the proper angle. I used a new blade to give me a angle or close to what it should be. I run it through then make more adjustments as needed. Give me a yell if you need more help.
twwlawn

LLandscaping
12-08-2004, 09:41 PM
I was wondering what is the website for Oregon.

Smithers
12-08-2004, 09:54 PM
The key to all this that I have found and done is to make sure you have the grinding wheel adjusted to the proper angle. I used a new blade to give me a angle or close to what it should be. I run it through then make more adjustments as needed. Give me a yell if you need more help.
twwlawn

Thanks, tww, i sure will once i buy it. i would feel really bad to spend the $600-$1000 on a magna matic grinder.

So, let me get this straight...you use a new blade to figure out the angle of the grinder that will be applied on the blade that is about to be sharpened. hmm, that's pretty smart. What do you do when the grind stone gets warn out a little? Can you bring it down, but still keep the angle? i guess what i am asking is....how do you keep the angle as you go along? i know it takes a lot of sharpening to get deplete the material.

LL, i dont think they have a website....at least, i have not been able to find one. I hope someone here can tell us.

Does anyone else know if you can sharpen Meg-mos with Oredon Grinder?

sildoc
12-08-2004, 11:00 PM
They used to be up at the top. Try this link. http://www.oregonchain.com/index.htm

LawnBoy89
12-08-2004, 11:01 PM
I worked at public works over the summer for the summer program for kids and I was in the parks department. They just use a bench grinder...Is this very hard? I would think that would be a money saver over spending over $200 on a blade sharpener. I figure you can just practice on an old set of blades and see what you can do.

bntt68, let us know what its like to use one and if you really think its worth it.

sildoc
12-08-2004, 11:21 PM
I worked at public works over the summer for the summer program for kids and I was in the parks department. They just use a bench grinder...Is this very hard? I would think that would be a money saver over spending over $200 on a blade sharpener. I figure you can just practice on an old set of blades and see what you can do.

bntt68, let us know what its like to use one and if you really think its worth it.
Oh it is worth while. In time saved. Excessive grinding using hand or bench grinder. Ease. Oh yeah well worth while.

twwlawn
12-09-2004, 12:54 AM
Thanks, tww, i sure will once i buy it. i would feel really bad to spend the $600-$1000 on a magna matic grinder.

So, let me get this straight...you use a new blade to figure out the angle of the grinder that will be applied on the blade that is about to be sharpened. hmm, that's pretty smart. What do you do when the grind stone gets warn out a little? Can you bring it down, but still keep the angle? i guess what i am asking is....how do you keep the angle as you go along? i know it takes a lot of sharpening to get deplete the material.

Does anyone else know if you can sharpen Meg-mos with Oredon Grinder?

If the Oregon did not work, I would have gone after the Mag 8000 or 9000. When the grinding wheel gets warn down some, it is real simple, you turn the adjust wheel down so the grinding wheel will sharpen the correct bevel edge of the blade. If your in the need for a blade grinder and don't want to spent the big bucks, get the Oregon model 88-023 from Travis, he has a deal going on right now.
In my prior post, I did not know or have meg-mo's and I called a LCO owner that lives up the street from me and he uses meg-mo's, he came down with them and try-ed them on my Oregon and they got a nice cutting bevel edge. He uses a RBG grinder. Now we know. Any more questions, be glad to help.
twwlawn

Smithers
12-09-2004, 09:18 AM
He uses a RBG grinder. Now we know. Any more questions, be glad to help.
twwlawn

tww, thank you so much!!!!..

just one last question....i have heard/read of RBG grinders. who makes them and do you have a link to their website? every time i read about it, noone gives a link or more information.

that settles it.....if the Oregon can sharpen Meg-mos, i will get it. The other day i went to a client's house whose lawn i cut a month ago, and the tips of her grass looked yellow, shreaded, not cut. i need to sharpen my blades more often.

Did you take the knives off of your buddy's meg-moes, or you sharpened them while assembled?

thanks tww!!

twwlawn
12-09-2004, 10:11 AM
tww, thank you so much!!!!..

just one last question....i have heard/read of RBG grinders. who makes them and do you have a link to their website? every time i read about it, noone gives a link or more information.

that settles it.....if the Oregon can sharpen Meg-mos, i will get it. The other day i went to a client's house whose lawn i cut a month ago, and the tips of her grass looked yellow, shreaded, not cut. i need to sharpen my blades more often.

Did you take the knives off of your buddy's meg-moes, or you sharpened them while assembled?

thanks tww!!

RBG grinders - www.rbggrinders.com

I learned a long time ago about having the right bevel angle on the blades and also use sharpened blades is a must to get that clean cut. Makes a big difference. The meg-mo's were still assembled. Glad to of helped out.
twwlawn

Smithers
12-16-2004, 10:57 PM
bntt68,

did you use your Oregon Grinder? How do you like it?

Why didn't you purchase a magna matic instead of the oregon? i am on the market and want to make the right decision.

also, dont know if a magna matic ballancer is worth buying. any thoughts or comments?

Drew Gemma
12-16-2004, 11:14 PM
My dealer told me they use an RBG grinder it has lasted 20 years and they have a huge following. They have used many different grinders they swear by the RBG. I found one he recomended for about $350

Smithers
12-17-2004, 02:27 AM
drew, where did you buy it from? website?

i was on their site and they have quite a few models...which one did you get?

Travis Followell
12-17-2004, 07:00 AM
They have RDG blade grinders in the mow more catalog. I'm not sure where else you can get them.

Drew Gemma
12-17-2004, 11:22 PM
I have the rbg 1214 it is the wide frame grinder. I found it on a surplus website I took a risk on it but it works for me. I would contact RBG here is their number. 1-800-354-5888. They are actually owned by Wall Industries they make a lot of heavy duty grinders and milling equipment. Different machines require diff. types of wheels I found so far the ruby is the best. I sharpen brush hog blades with it these things are huge and they tend to heat so you gotta be carefull.