PDA

View Full Version : Home Depot Selling Classen

bob
12-07-2004, 08:05 PM
My local Home Depot has a big laminated 3-ring binder full of equipment. Little Wonder ,Classen, Honda, and Bluebird to name a few. You can buy skid steers ($17K) and all kinds of gasoline powered equipment. None of these items are acually at the stores location. I guess basically, their just acting as a middleman for any large company that wants to sell more items.

Lazer_Z
12-07-2004, 08:17 PM
I saw the same thing once. I was waiting on a rental list to be printed and just started to look through the book. And your right they do have all the big names in the book.

Shuter
12-07-2004, 08:28 PM
Home Depot Rental stores, inside of the Home Depot store, sells off their rental equipment every couple of monthes.

Mo Green
12-07-2004, 08:28 PM
One thing to consider with buying from Home Depot or Lowes is the availibility of service if the equipment breaks down. They normally have to ship the items to be repaired out to a seperate facility, thus causing a longer delay in getting back your stuff. Just food for thought.

illday
12-07-2004, 08:48 PM
Is the catalog available online?

Lazer_Z
12-07-2004, 08:51 PM
Is the catalog available online?
I don't think so I think you can only see it at your local HD provided they have a rental department.

Mindless
12-07-2004, 10:04 PM
bob,

Local HD rental store near me sells new Classen lawn equipment to include split-drum aerators. You won't see the equipment in their store. Equipment can only be ordered from that 3-ring binder you mentioned. Open up a HD credit card and receive 10% off of price.

green_man
12-07-2004, 10:41 PM
with all the sales volume Home Depot can offer a manufacturer, sometimes they (and probably Wall-Mart and others) sell equipment that has been made specifically for Depot to meet certain specs (low price). it may not be comprable to what you can get at an independent store. DeWalt, for example.

no, I don't think Bluebird or most manufacturers are in bed w/ Depot this way, at least not today, but a Honda GC engine is not the same as a GX. my point is to make sure you check out the specs and know what you're buying...and don't be surprised when YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

battags
12-07-2004, 10:49 PM
One thing to consider with buying from Home Depot or Lowes is the availibility of service if the equipment breaks down. They normally have to ship the items to be repaired out to a seperate facility, thus causing a longer delay in getting back your stuff. Just food for thought.

How right you are.... :angry: :angry: I've been fighting with Lowes over getting my pressure washer fixed. I just purchased it a few months ago and the pump is shot already. Finally I got a repair number (under warranty) and have to drop it off at the store where I bought it. They say I'll have it back in 12 - 14 days. We shall see.......

Brian

65hoss
12-08-2004, 08:02 AM
A couple of years ago I used my trailer to pickup some stuff at Lowes for my sister. The trimmers and blowers were on the racks. The guy loading the stuff told me if I ever needed a new mower come see him. I told him I use ZTR's not tractors. He smiled and said I can order you just about anything you want.

BladeRunner1967
12-08-2004, 08:16 AM
There is a 3 ring binder in every Home Depot store. Most likely at the Pro Desk, if the store does not have a Tool Rental. Home Depot can sell any of the products it rents out. Most of the Garden products you can buy out of the book come straight from the manufacturer, but check the pricing. There is high margin in it for Depot. Also you can special order anything out of the Echo catalog. Pricing is the same as dealer. With 10% off coupon it's nice for a part-timer like me that can't get a dealer discount. The items that are returned in my store in Pennsylvania get sent to some place in Jersey to be fixed. Cost's a fortune to do this. They have lost several of customers tools and we had to give them a new one. LOL

out4now
12-08-2004, 10:41 AM
Classen, don't they make pickles? Just kidding. Bout time they started to see that the junk they sell to homeowners just won't cut it with a contractor. Smart move on their part. Was this at a H.D. Pro or a regular outlet?

ztoro
12-08-2004, 01:06 PM
My home depot sells the stuff but most of it is serviced through another dealer that is local... If it can be repaired you take it the service shop.. If it cant HD gives you a new one..... No a bad deal at all...

txlawnking
12-08-2004, 01:19 PM
How right you are.... :angry: :angry: I've been fighting with Lowes over getting my pressure washer fixed. I just purchased it a few months ago and the pump is shot already. Finally I got a repair number (under warranty) and have to drop it off at the store where I bought it. They say I'll have it back in 12 - 14 days. We shall see.......

Brian

Most if not all pressure washers that HD and Lowes peddle are NOT commercial grade.. the closest one that either sell is their @ 3500psi machine, which does have an 11 or 13hp GX series Honda, and either a GP or Cat pump, it is in no way an optimised machine...Psi ratings sell press washers to those who aren't in the know.. ( BTW, I'm not implying you Don't).. Whereas, It's actually the GPM that does the cleaning, in combination with the psi.. There's a formula that escapes me at the moment, but you can figure out " cleaning units" which is a much better way to compare machines.

Also, if you check them out carefully, they use the cheapest, junkiest parts on the rest of the machine..Examples:

Brass fittings
sorry unloaders
And the cheapest sheetmetal frame and wheels W/O bearings. Junk Junk Junk..

I agree, Unless you are an experienced mechanic, and don't mind wrenching and paying for parts on a waranteed machine in order to avoid major hassles at the chain store.. Avoid big ticket equipment from HD or Lowes...

Markf
12-08-2004, 03:06 PM
Gentlemen,
Green Man is correct regarding the specs may be different then what you would buy from the dealer. Similiar to Whirlpool making a washing machine for Sears. However, what I would do is get the model number of what HD has to offer and call the manufacturer directly and inquire as to whether or not they have a different product for HD versus the industry. Also, how does this affect the warranty. Can you take it to any authorized repair shop, or must you always go thru HD? Judging from what has been said, and my own experiences with HD, I would tend to stay clear of letting HD handle my equipment.
Mark

battags
12-10-2004, 10:12 AM
Most if not all pressure washers that HD and Lowes peddle are NOT commercial grade.. the closest one that either sell is their @ 3500psi machine, which does have an 11 or 13hp GX series Honda, and either a GP or Cat pump, it is in no way an optimised machine...Psi ratings sell press washers to those who aren't in the know.. ( BTW, I'm not implying you Don't).. Whereas, It's actually the GPM that does the cleaning, in combination with the psi.. There's a formula that escapes me at the moment, but you can figure out " cleaning units" which is a much better way to compare machines.

Also, if you check them out carefully, they use the cheapest, junkiest parts on the rest of the machine..Examples:

Brass fittings
sorry unloaders
And the cheapest sheetmetal frame and wheels W/O bearings. Junk Junk Junk..

I agree, Unless you are an experienced mechanic, and don't mind wrenching and paying for parts on a waranteed machine in order to avoid major hassles at the chain store.. Avoid big ticket equipment from HD or Lowes...

Your absolutely right. The trade off comes in quality vs. $$$. I got a 3000 psi machine with 5hp briggs for under $300 after the mail in rebate. Now I'm told the new pump will cost me $150. I couldn't get a 5hp Briggs alone shipped to me for that amount.

Does anyone know of a quality pump that I can mount to that engine instead of replacing it with junk?

Brian

txlawnking
12-10-2004, 10:34 AM
Does anyone know of a quality pump that I can mount to that engine instead of replacing it with junk?

Brian

Unfortunately, NO. If you paid less than three bills for it, I would be led to believe it is one of those little vertical shaft machines, which look like they use bastard pump setups any way.. Five HP to make 3000 psi = No volume..You need more like 4-5 gpm, and 3000 psi, which will take @ 16 hp.. A machine like I described is a serious cleaning machine, especially if it happens to be a hot water machine as well..

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but there's just no free lunch with Press. washers..

battags
12-11-2004, 02:29 PM
Unfortunately, NO. If you paid less than three bills for it, I would be led to believe it is one of those little vertical shaft machines, which look like they use bastard pump setups any way.. Five HP to make 3000 psi = No volume..You need more like 4-5 gpm, and 3000 psi, which will take @ 16 hp.. A machine like I described is a serious cleaning machine, especially if it happens to be a hot water machine as well..

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but there's just no free lunch with Press. washers..

It's a horizontal shaft and is advertised at 2.8 GPM. Trust me, it's all the cleaning power that I need. I just want it to be reliable....

Brian