PDA

View Full Version : Lawnkid pic thread

lawnkid
12-07-2004, 08:34 PM
Heres some pics of our lawns in the begining of the year right after spring cleanups. I believe this was the second cut and we had the lawns chemically applicated the week after. Sorry the pictures kinda suck. My camera isn't the greatest. Feel free to give any comments.

blankenshiplawncare
12-07-2004, 08:40 PM
Keep up the great work.

lawnkid
12-07-2004, 08:42 PM
Here's some more, this lawn is kinda bumpy so the lines aren't the straightest. Notice my lazy partner standing there :p

lawnkid
12-07-2004, 08:43 PM
I have more but will post them tomorrow cuz I have homework to finish up. Sorry

John P.
12-07-2004, 08:59 PM
Is that your white pace trailer? is it the 6 x12?

pgiambat
12-08-2004, 12:51 AM
They look like sweet cuts to me!!

MidSouthLawn
12-08-2004, 04:28 AM
Keep up the good work, on the lawns and in school...

splatz100
12-08-2004, 05:25 PM
what are you using to do the cutting?

LawnBoy89
12-08-2004, 06:20 PM
what are you using to do the cutting?

I was going to ask the same thing, they look good what are you using?

lawnkid
12-08-2004, 11:34 PM
Thanks guys, the trailer is a Pace American 8x16 Summit. I wish I woulda bought bigger cuz I'm adding one for sure, maybe two riders this spring. I am using a 99 Scag 52" hydro w/b with Pro-One sulky, single baldes, no stirping kits, just stock. I have two hydros, here's are some more pics.

lawnkid
12-08-2004, 11:39 PM
The first two from the previous post were from a bruch clearing job we did. No match for two Echo PAS-260's with brush blades and a brush hog. :cool: The others are of the daily maintenace rig. The truck is a 99 Ford F-350 7.3L stroker. And also thereis the 96 Scag 52" hydro w/14hp Kawi and single wheel Velke. Here's ome more of the racks and other equipment.

Eric 1
12-09-2004, 09:10 AM
Wow, thats a nice rig! :cool:

FrankenScagMachines
12-09-2004, 01:55 PM
Real nice setup and you guys do great work too :waving:

Pic 5 on the first post- man those have got to be the shortest stripes ever :D :p

Those Scags are good ones... I had one just like your '96 (same motor, deck size was also a hydro) but without the safety bail levers on the handlebars... great machine just worn out and underpowered. The motor was great and strong... man so reliable would start anytime too, just not big enough for the job. Ran a sulky like on your '99 model Scag there, then the last week or two that i had it i ran a Pro-Slide.

How hard was it to train your helper to run the w/b? The guy thats been working for me this year I think i'll train him on the w/b next spring... i guess it varies depending on the guy but all i expect are straight stripes and minimal turf damage when turning... i think i'll start him off just walking then let him move up to the ProSlide when i feel he's ready for it.

ALarsh
12-09-2004, 06:54 PM
Nice equipment! Do you owe anything on the truck/trailer/equipment? If so, how much?

lawnkid
12-09-2004, 11:22 PM
Austin,
Everything was paid for with cash and not money is owed. Everythign wa spaid for witht he first 3 weeks of opening the business with the large amount of lawn installs we did this year. too bad I didn;t have the camera to show b4 and after pics. I am in the process of purchasing my own camera soon.

Lux Lawn
12-10-2004, 03:14 PM
lawnkid
Looks good,keep up the good work nice equipment for someone your age.
I saved your pm you sent me about the Scag if I know of anybody I will let you know.

stevesmowing
12-11-2004, 12:07 AM
nice trailer. Did you get it used or new? What did it set you back?

bettergrass
12-11-2004, 12:11 AM
nice work...thats probally one of the better cuts from a scag machine that i have scen on here

splatz100
12-19-2004, 09:14 PM
who makes those trimmer racks?

TClawn
12-19-2004, 10:16 PM
you need to be wearing ear protection! if you ever get tinnitus you will never have ANY peace.

snap12.5
12-19-2004, 10:21 PM
is that a grass discharge blocker on the one scag?? did u fabricate it yourself?

jimslawns
12-19-2004, 10:53 PM
Isn't he wearing hearing protection?? As well as eye protection and long pants? Looks like all he needs is some nice matching shirts to make "the look" :cool2:

TClawn
12-19-2004, 11:27 PM
Whoops, I thought that those were the straps for the eye protection.

ALarsh
12-20-2004, 04:21 PM
Austin,
Everything was paid for with cash and not money is owed. Everythign wa spaid for witht he first 3 weeks of opening the business with the large amount of lawn installs we did this year. too bad I didn;t have the camera to show b4 and after pics. I am in the process of purchasing my own camera soon.

Where did you get my name from? ;)

racerkxv
12-21-2004, 11:22 PM
Hey, I'm young and just starting out and looks like you are probably the same age however your business looks as if its way ahead of me. I'm only doing 7 lawns and I'm looking to make the jump to buying some serious commercial equip and bringing in more business. Any suggestions or comments on how you made the jump?

DSIM
12-22-2004, 09:59 AM
lawnkid,
very nice setup & work!

Eric 1
12-22-2004, 04:13 PM
Hey, I'm young and just starting out and looks like you are probably the same age however your business looks as if its way ahead of me. I'm only doing 7 lawns and I'm looking to make the jump to buying some serious commercial equip and bringing in more business. Any suggestions or comments on how you made the jump?

The search feature has enough info to keep you busy 24-7 for a year.

lawnkid
12-28-2004, 10:13 PM
Hey everyone sorry I haven't been on much, been plowing.

splatz100,
I made the trimmer racks myself spending about $30 at Home Depot for the grips, found wo old pieces of wood laying around, and screwed the pieces into the trailer wall and then the grips went on top of that. They work real well. Not really for theft prevention but more of an organized look and keeping them clean and out of the way.

TCLawn,
I make sure all of my guys wear eye and ear protection at all times. Otherwise OSHAA would be on my ass for the safety of my workers.

snap12.5,
yes on the older Scag I welded a chute discahrge blocker to use mainly when going around beds and next to houses. It was very cheap to make and has held up well over the last 4 years.

ALarsh,
I know who you are, where you live and what you are doing at ll times, :D just kidding, I found it on here somewhere.

racerkxv,
well it has been a long process and let me tell you it was worth it. This past year has been a big sarrifice for me using my free time and dedicating it all to my business. Instea of going out and haning out with my buddies I'd be working late sometimes til 10 pm just to finihs jobs and make sure everything would get done and look great. My best advice to you would probably to stay organized,( bill appropriately at at the right time, know how to manage your crew, keep costs low, and aways look for ways to speed things up). also, don;t try growing too fast. I am lucky to have a great family who is willing to help out in times wher eI was really busy when I shouldn;t have taken on jobs just for the money. Look at jobs realistically and say to yourself, can I really do this job, is it worth doing, and am I making any money off of it. and always always do quality work and make communicate properly with customers. Make sure you are both on the same page and agree on things. Cutting lawns for me mostly pays bills. I make probably about 20% of what I collect for mowing. It's the landscaping part that brings in money for me. Patios, retianing walls, new lawns etc. If you have any more questions pm me anytime and I'll try to help.

DSIM,
thank you for the compliment

Keep the comments coming guys & gals

I'm off to bed to go salt again early. Talk to you folks later

Lux Lawn
12-29-2004, 10:55 AM
Lawnkid
Are you plowing and salting for yourself this year?

lawnkid
12-31-2004, 02:39 PM
Hey Larry,
No I'm not plowing for myself this year. I work for Pirc Company. I dirve the salt truck. The F-450 with a 8.5 ft. Western on it. i am basically just saving now for tweo more trucks I will be adding hopefuly next year. How'd you like that big strom we just had. i worked everyday from Dec 17-December 29. Put in over 130 hours of plowing and salting. I went out for the first time yesterday with the guys in over 3 weeks. the girlfriend has also been complaining but very understanding. She's a sweetheart. Hopefully I'll see you around sometime.

Everyone have a Good time tonight but be safe. Happy New Year.

Lux Lawn
01-01-2005, 12:06 PM
Hey Larry,
No I'm not plowing for myself this year. I work for Pirc Company. I dirve the salt truck. The F-450 with a 8.5 ft. Western on it. i am basically just saving now for tweo more trucks I will be adding hopefuly next year. How'd you like that big strom we just had. i worked everyday from Dec 17-December 29. Put in over 130 hours of plowing and salting. I went out for the first time yesterday with the guys in over 3 weeks. the girlfriend has also been complaining but very understanding. She's a sweetheart. Hopefully I'll see you around sometime.

Everyone have a Good time tonight but be safe. Happy New Year.

I didn't like it at all but I made some extra cash that came in handy around the holiday's.