PDA

View Full Version : Tool Help

danslawncare
12-07-2004, 10:28 PM
How many of you guys have welders? What type, both brand and amperage...arc or mig? I'm wondering what type i should get, i know how to arc, but mig seams nice (for the thin metal) and easy....but SOOOOO expensive.

As always i apprechate your help! :waving:

Travis Followell
12-08-2004, 07:05 AM
Really depends on what you'll be welding. If your welding thicker metal go with an arc welder. Arc welders are a little more messey because they have a lot of spatter and slag to chip off. MIG welders are good for thinner metal and is a very clean process but like you said they are very expensive. If you want a mig big enough to weld thicker metal you would have to get a miller 210 or 250. They will weld 3/8" steel for the 210 and 1/2" steel for the 250 is the maximum thickmess for each machine. The cost is around $1600 for the 210 and $2000 for the 250 but you probibly don't want to spend that much.

sildoc
12-08-2004, 05:17 PM
I have the Lincoln 135 mig. Runs off 110 outlet. Nice for the small stuff and does good on repairs up to 1/4" thick metal. I don't need much more than that. If I have a really big weld to do I run it down the the Local welder and he only charges roughly 5 bucks an inch give or take the size of the job.
I was able to weld up a very sturdy gate for my trailer last winter with the one I own now and could probably build a 3500lb trailer if need be. but if you are wanting larger material to weld definitely go with the biger welder. It will more than pay for itself in a max of 5 years. Mine paid for itself in about 6 months with little extras that I built onto the trailer and trimmer/ blower racks.