PDA

View Full Version : Incident today makes me so glad to be a self employed LCO.

QualityLawnCare4u
12-08-2004, 12:22 AM
Four weeks ago I started a part time job driving employs around in a van for a non profit organization. I would go in 20 minutes early every morning to get everything set up for the day paperwork etc. I got called in by the employer (who is also a pastor) and was told he did not like me being in his office when he was not their and did not like me calling him Mr, his title is @@@ so and so. I told him that I assumed I was trying to be productive and he told me he had no respect for people who makes assumptions. I stood up and told him "well, I guess you have no respect for me" and throwed him the keys and gas card. He then went to back tracking and told me I had made his life a lot easier since he did not have to do all the extra work and just did not want me in the office till he was their. I had a horrible flash back to years ago when I worked for a azzhole who told me not to call him mr his name was Dr.(education degree) I have zero use for people like this who think they are important. There is no way in Hades Im going to go back to work for someone else as long as Im able to crawl out the door. This just reminded me of how bad I hated the rat race. I also told this dude that I was not going to starve to death without this job but was doing it for the good it does my community but I aint taking no crap, nope, nada, never again. I think this guy feels threatened by anyone who might know a little more than him being he is so young (early twenties) I left and went to my worst yard and was happy the whole time I was blowing off 4 inch deep leaves by myself with no jerk standing over me. Nope, never again the rat race. Also the way this guy treats the other employs makes my blood boil.

lawnman_scott
12-08-2004, 12:29 AM
yeah, there is no way I could ever work for someone again. That would last 10 min max.

Mo Green
12-08-2004, 12:42 AM
His title is @@@ so and so..... what does this mean?

The way I see it, if a man spends 8 years in college to get a Phd., I'll call him doctor. No problem.

HOMER
12-08-2004, 01:04 AM
His title is @@@ so and so..... what does this mean?

The way I see it, if a man spends 8 years in college to get a Phd., I'll call him doctor. No problem.

So will I until they expect me too. When they demand to be called that then there went all the respect I might have had for them.

My first name is my name and I don't expect anyone to call me Mr. Homer or Mr. anything. Respect can be earned without using titles.

Sir mowsalot
12-08-2004, 01:23 AM
Hey there,
first off congrats on going out on your own. Secondly, this so called pastor that likes to be referred to as Dr or whatever title is nothing but a total hypocrite. You should go back and have him read Matt. chapter 23 and have him pay special attention to verse 7 although in that verse the lord says they love to be called rabbi, his point is is those hypocrites love titles and this man is a exactly as the lord is pointing out. Nothing but a hypocrite.

Runner
12-08-2004, 06:14 AM
That's funny how some people are. I have several doctors that I work for, and many of them even have me call them by their first names. The only ones I will really give a title to at ALL times are judges. Then, it is Judge so & so or Your honor.

TURF DOCTOR
12-08-2004, 07:13 AM
To me takeing the first step was hard,i would never work for somebody again.Good for you i never forget what my job was like.

QualityLawnCare4u
12-08-2004, 07:14 AM
I need to make the title thing a little more clear and my point also. This pastor does not have a Dr. degree has another title "captain" so and so. Also I do not mind calling any person professor or Dr. or whatever its when they get a arrogant attitude about it does it become a problem. What his problem is another employ who has been there for years and has keys to the workplace and the employ let me in and this pastor feels threatened by this employ (I did not know this at that time but later found out), I was warned berfore I started working that the pastor has a problem with "feeling threatned" when somone makes a decision to blow there nose or take a crap without asking him first. He has what I call "dictator attitude". Sorry I did not make my point more clear. This just makes me so happy that Im a one guy show!!

PMLAWN
12-08-2004, 08:26 AM
Poorman- from reading a lot of your past posts, are you sure that you want to throw away a job? It appears that they are hard to come by in you neck of the woods.
Also, if he is a pastor I think his title is Rev. or Pastor ____, And yes if he has been to school to earn the title it is respectful to address him by it.
As far as a Pastor working at a "not for profit" His title is about all he gets as most of the people who work in that capacity make very little for their efforts.
I see a lot of people write on this forum that they hate working for the man and it is so great to be working for themselves, unless you are paying yourself you are still working for someone else and they call the shots. Sure you can walk from a job but you also walk from the money.
Work (or life) is not always easy, Put youeself in the other's shoes and try to work with people instead of fighting. In the end, I think all will be happier.

Smithers
12-08-2004, 08:57 AM
i see what you all are saying, and the guy could have been a jerk. But from what i was able to get out of it.....the pastor simply did not want poorman in the building/room before the pastor himself was there.

Maybe poorman just started and he has not earned the "respect" yet. But the comment ""i have no respect for people that make assumptions" is very arrogant.....

poorman, have you ever worked for anyone else? any similar problems?

65hoss
12-08-2004, 09:30 AM
I have had customers for several years that I didn't even know they were doctors. They always used their first name to me. "Hello...this is Jay"...or "Hi, this is Karen". Sometime later a referral from those people would call and say "you work for Dr. Jones"...I would usually have some dumb look on my face I'm sure.

If someone is hung up on their title, they usually have a self-esteem problem.

Mark McC
12-08-2004, 09:30 AM
People with PhDs all put their pants on one leg at a time...those who wear pants, anyway.

My last job as a writer included some God-awful notetaking at these committee meetings for the National Children's Study. You never met a group of more conceited, self-worshipping individuals. They by and large see themselves as atheistic, but the truth is that they tend to worship the mug in the mirror as ardently as any Muslim, Christian or Jew worships Allah, God or whomever.

Frankly, the whole lot of the self-important morons (PhDs, CEOs...you get the picture) of the world can rot. The world will not come grinding to a halt if these cretins were to suddenly disappear. Try saying the same thing if all the farmers, plumbers and construction workers were to suddenly disappear.

moremowing4me
12-08-2004, 10:07 AM
In this little piece of country the only people that I respect from the moment I meet them are my elders. Other than that it must be earned. I have four children that are very respectful to me and others. I would not put up with them disrespecting me nor would I have put up with it in poormans situation. I dont care who you are if you think that you are better than me then I have no use dealing with you in any manner.

GreenQuest Lawn
12-08-2004, 10:18 AM
I have had customers for several years that I didn't even know they were doctors. They always used their first name to me. "Hello...this is Jay"...or "Hi, this is Karen". Sometime later a referral from those people would call and say "you work for Dr. Jones"...I would usually have some dumb look on my face I'm sure.

Same thing here, If they call and say "this is Dr X" then that is what I call them, one the other hand if they call and say "This is joe shmoe" then I use that title, I have plowed for a Dr for 4 years now and I deal always on a first name basis. Of course that is at his house, now I suppose I would call him Dr if I were to plow at his office. Then again, I am sure if he called for work at his office he would use Dr X.

Most people I do not think really care. Best thing to do is just ask what they would like to be called, BUT on the other hand a degree does not give the person the right to act better than anyone else, I may not have college degrees but no man or woman will make me feel inferior to them. Its just not happening.

Garden Panzer
12-08-2004, 10:22 AM
just behead the bastard..... he's earned his afterlife!
:realmad:
:cry:
:dizzy:

:waving:

GreenMonster
12-08-2004, 11:02 AM

I think Hoss hit the nail on the head. Some people have real ego issues.

I just did a hardscape for a young couple. He's a financial planner, she's a computer engineer. They were two of the most unfriendly people I have ever worked for. Sometimes, you get the the impression that people put themselves above you cuz you are doing manual labor -- something that they are much more worthy of.

Then, when they pay me -- keep in mind this guy is a financial planner, gave me the whole sales pitch about how he could help me out with my finances -- he asks me to wait 2 days to cash a $3000 check. Yeah, sure pal, sign me up :rolleyes:

blair smock
12-08-2004, 11:50 AM
This is why i am striving to go full time nxt spring, take care, Blair

QualityLawnCare4u
12-08-2004, 11:54 AM
[QUOTE=petrentz]i see what you all are saying, and the guy could have been a jerk. But from what i was able to get out of it.....the pastor simply did not want poorman in the building/room before the pastor himself was there.

Maybe poorman just started and he has not earned the "respect" yet. But the comment ""i have no respect for people that make assumptions" is very arrogant.....

poorman, have you ever worked for anyone else? any similar probleM

Yes Petrentz, I was a office equipment technician for 22 years and I have worked for the worst of the worst, had the worst customers you could have. Nothing like a 3 AM phone call to drive 100 miles to put a ink roller on a cash register because someone was to lazy to open the package to do it.(A 30 second job) My old job had a guy with a Dr. Degree in education and I dont wish this man on anyone. I was the only employ to ever make it past 5 years working for him, so I know how to handle people. I guess after working for myself for 6 years I just had a bad flash back. This job is only 4 hours a day and it dont pay squat. If I was making big bucks I could shut my mouth a lot easier.Like I said had no problem with the chief until he came back with that no respect comment, sorta insulted me and my skin aint as thick as it used to be. I did pick up a new account today for EVERY week that will way surpass this part time job and Im gonna keep hammering away at it to stay in this biz.

Mo Green
12-08-2004, 11:57 AM
Yeeah, the whole "Captain" thing is a bit much. I've never heard of a pastor wanting to be called Captain.

QualityLawnCare4u
12-08-2004, 11:59 AM
This is why i am striving to go full time nxt spring, take care, Blair

Hey Blair, you go for it! Wish you the best. My customers are all important to me and I will do everything to make them happy UNTIL they become a self centered jerk. Then my bad side will come out. After my last job I made myself a promise NEVER AGAIN!!

QualityLawnCare4u
12-08-2004, 12:08 PM
I went in this morn (not early either) and the chief comes in not in a good mood. An emply wwho was supposed to be at one place went to the wrong location (a slight misunderstanding) and his face turns red and he starts hollering "why dont people have enough sense to do what I tell them" I calmy looked at him and asked him if he would like one of my "dont get mad pills" I forgot to add he also throws temper tantrums, yes, like a kid. Dont think he liked my way of trying to disfuse the situation. Thank God for grass and leaves and straw!!!! I told him if he keeps getting upset like that he will have my heart problems in a few years. I would not tell someone this I did not know but I have known him for about 2 years and done yard work for him, but not spent any time with him. Did not know he was that way or would have turned down job when asked. Anyway if I can make it 3 more weeks its over anyway.

Runner
12-08-2004, 01:11 PM
You could have just said to him. "You must have just assumed that that he knew where to go. I have no respect for people that just assume."

meathead1134
12-08-2004, 01:22 PM
I think Hoss hit the nail on the head. Some people have real ego issues.

I just did a hardscape for a young couple. He's a financial planner, she's a computer engineer. They were two of the most unfriendly people I have ever worked for. Sometimes, you get the the impression that people put themselves above you cuz you are doing manual labor -- something that they are much more worthy of.

Then, when they pay me -- keep in mind this guy is a financial planner, gave me the whole sales pitch about how he could help me out with my finances -- he asks me to wait 2 days to cash a $3000 check. Yeah, sure pal, sign me up :rolleyes:

now that is funny

GreenMonster
12-08-2004, 01:29 PM
now that is funny

No, it's like Laraul & Hardy --

Comical, but not funny.

John Gamba
12-08-2004, 03:52 PM
I had a horrible flash back to years ago when I worked for a azzhole who told me not to call him mr his name was Dr.(education degree) I have zero use for people like this who think they are important. .

Great attitude Danny! Merry Christmas!!!!

John G.

Sir mowsalot
12-08-2004, 04:03 PM
^5 brother, you get it.
Not only self esttem problems, but other mental baggage or whatever else is screwy with someone who needs to have a title. I cant stand it when people think that somehow drs, or senetors, or congressman, or god knows what other titles someone goes by are somehow better, or as if a title makes someone something, good grief charlie brown

leafitalawn
12-08-2004, 04:28 PM
tell him that you like to be called "emperor"

Markf
12-08-2004, 04:54 PM
I left the corporate world (Engineer and Lawyer) and never did I ask to be called Dr. I now teach math in a high school. There, you do have those that wished to be called Dr. I guess that makes them think they are a few steps above the rest. I recently went thru spinal fusion. My doctor called me Mark and I called him Gerry. If he wanted to be addressed as Dr., then he should have been respectful in kind by addressing me as Mr. (By the way, I didn't called him Gerry UNTIL AFTER the surgery. Mama didn't raise no fool!!)

HOOLIE
12-08-2004, 04:54 PM
Sounds like this boss is lacking in people skills, a very important facet of running a business that, unfortunately, many bosses come up short in. My old boss was like this, he'd blow up over almost anything at the drop of a hat. A lot of good employees quit (including me) because they grew tired of his childish antics.

QualityLawnCare4u
12-08-2004, 06:22 PM
Great attitude Danny! Merry Christmas!!!!

John G.
Thanks John, :) I hope you and your family have a great Christmas too!

RedWingsDet
12-08-2004, 08:19 PM
I dont know, I have different views on calling people doctor if they have a PHd.

My dad has a PHd. and ALOT of people call him Mr. He doesnt care one bit at all and doesnt expect people to call him Dr., and never will. I have wayyy more respect for people who dont care if people call them Dr. or not. Now dont get me wrong, I can see how somepeople get upset if they call them Mr., they did spend all that time, money getting it, but still, if someone doesnt know that you have the phd, what do you expect. And like my dad, he doesnt ever really tell people he has the phd unless they ask. Now, If I talk with people, who i know have phd's, of course ill call them Dr. But if you dont know they're a Dr. they shouldnt get mad at you.

But I guess its all about the persons personality and their cockyness a-hole-ness IMHO. LOL.

lampeslawnservice
12-08-2004, 09:41 PM
I have several doctors that I take care of not once have I had to call them DR. Not out of lack of respect though. The way I look at it is I respect each and every one of my customers the same. I respect them, but more in actions than in words. Heck one even invites me inside to have a beer with him every time he see's me. My fiance is a nurse and she can't believe how I get along with him. She says he's one of the sticklers at the local hospital. I just say "I treat him like everyone else." Maybe he enjoys just coming down to earth and letting his guard down.
Another Dr. which I have never called him anything but his first name highly recommended me to four other Dr.'s he is associated with and guess what they are all on a first name basis.

YardPro
12-08-2004, 10:54 PM
he's sluming

LOL
(joking of course)

exmarkdude
12-08-2004, 11:41 PM
You know what Phd. stands for? PILED HIGHER AND DEEPER!