PDA

View Full Version : Need help pricing very large acreage grass.

kthhayes
12-07-2004, 11:51 PM
I have been in this business going on my third year, and I have cliants who have from very small yards, to 5 ac. I would like help in getting a successful bid for a government job. One property is between 15-20 ac the second is 20-25 ac, and the third is 35-40 ac. I will be picking up the bid packet later this week, and do not yet have the exact acre total. It also apears that on of the sites is a cemetary. Can anyone help me please?

GrassBustersLawn
12-08-2004, 12:05 AM
Yes, don't bother if it is a government job. They go to LOW BIDDER everytime, have a ton of rules that apply to YOU & they are SLOW PAY!

You will be bidding against people that have less of an idea on how to bid then you! (Seriously.) Someone will take it for so low that you are better off mowing your smaller properties. You will make more money. Also, do you have BIG equipment to do BIG areas? Cemetaries EAT MAN HOURS with trimming!

Better to not waste the time jumping thru all the bidding hoops (packet pick-up; review sites; put together proposal; go to bid opening) - only to not get the job, or WORSE to get it and not make money!

They are a big time vacuum - they will SUCK UP lots of time for NO REWARD!

On the other hand, if you REALLY THINK YOU NEED IT BAD, go to the agency letting the bid. Ask to see LAST YEARS bids & award. IT IS PUBLIC INFORMATION, they have to show it to you! THen you can see just how cheap it went and what ball park you will need to be in to get it. Then you will understand what I'm talking about!

Mike

Runner
12-08-2004, 05:15 AM
20 acres would go for around 400 bucks, but being that it's a gov. contract, it will probably go for cheaper.

jvr
12-08-2004, 02:04 PM
Don't know if it will help in your bid but I do a cemetery thats a little over 3 acres and charge $125 an acre. I have two people running string trimmers and only one ZTR running. usually cut and trim in about 4 hrs.

rodfather
12-08-2004, 03:02 PM
Don't know if it will help in your bid but I do a cemetery thats a little over 3 acres and charge $125 an acre. I have two people running string trimmers and only one ZTR running. usually cut and trim in about 4 hrs.

12 man hours for $125 :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: . You're kidding I hope...

Gatewayuser
12-08-2004, 03:24 PM
quote: 12 man hours for $125 . You're kidding I hope...

3 acres times $125 = $375

Gatewayuser
12-08-2004, 03:27 PM
kthhayes
Where is this in Cinnci? Don't worry I won't bid.

rodfather
12-08-2004, 03:27 PM
That's still peanuts for 12 man hours of work.

Gatewayuser
12-08-2004, 03:30 PM
Yes, that is still way to cheap for a Cemetery I get $300 for a Cemetery and it takes only 3hrs. and they told me that I was low priced!!!