PDA

View Full Version : What's Better?

jtrice11
12-08-2004, 11:11 AM
I'm just starting out. I live near Minneapolis Minnesota and have narrowed down my choices for buying equipment. I am debating on wether to go with a eXmark Laser Z (27hp Kohler), Toro Z (27hp Kohler) or Kubota Diesel. Which brand do you guys think is the better value??

I also am thinking pretty seriously about going with STIHL brand blowers and trimmers.

Mo Green
12-08-2004, 11:59 AM
how many, and what kind of accounts do you have?

out4now
12-08-2004, 12:04 PM
Just looked and the exmark has a diahatsu. Don't know anything about their small engines. Kubota and Yanmar make good small diesels. If you decide to go with diesel I'd look at the Kubota. Gas engine, probably the exmark with a Kawi.

JCW-G
12-08-2004, 12:14 PM
jtrice11,
Since you are asking which of the three is a better value, we would need to know the prices of each. If the three are your only choices, I would go with the kubota. Plus include the answer to the question posted by Mo Green.

jtrice11
12-08-2004, 12:55 PM
We have 1 commercial account that is 50 townhouses, a property developer with 4 small office buildings, and a small handful (less than 5) residential accounts. We plan to get as many additional accounts as possible.

The toro guy tells me the toro is a better unit than the eXmark, and he has one that is 800 dollars cheaper. The Kubota is about 2 grand more than both.

JCW-G
12-08-2004, 01:23 PM
Well sure the toro guy is going to "talk up" his product, he needs to make money just like everybody else.If you talk to an exmark guy he would do the same for his product,and so on. There is a reason mowers cost more or less than the competition, it is quality. Just remember you get what you pay for. Good Luck

JCW-G
12-08-2004, 01:24 PM
[QUOTE=JCW-G]jtrice11,
Since you are asking which of the three is a better value, we would need to know the prices of each.

rgjlawn
12-08-2004, 02:06 PM
we have used kubota for 18 of our 27 years, new ZD is by far the best. it is more money but fuel is better and they also have a new stripping kit for them.

TClawn
12-08-2004, 02:25 PM
what kind of deck is on the toro? if it's the SFS, RUN!!! I've seen people in the shop MANY times. in places where there is one weld there should have been two. overall the sfs is, in my opinion, fabricated cheaply. I do not have any experience with the turbo force deck, but, I've heard good things about it.

If I were you I would go with eXmark.

jtrice11
12-08-2004, 04:09 PM
The Toro has a turbo force deck on it. I was pretty surprised by the differences the Toro guy showed me in this 2 inch thick book he had. It was diagrams of comparisons between the eXmark and the toro on virtually the same model. The Z and the Toro Z force--The gussets, welds, the gauge of steel used, wheels, bearing housings etc...were all superior on the toro. Also the Toro had twin tanks with one fuel feed, the eXmark had 2 tanks with seperate feeds, needed to be changed via a petcock. I know, a super minor detail but the Toro did appear to be superior. But I've read alot about eXmark and they seem to be popular and reliable. The eXmark dealer has a deal where if your mower goes down, they give you one while yours is being serviced. A nice option to have.

JCW-G
12-08-2004, 06:14 PM
If the exmark dealer will give you a loaner,be sure it will be comparable to the one being serviced.

TLM
12-08-2004, 07:17 PM
I use a Lazer 60' 27hp and it's the best. The gas tanks hold about 6 gal per side so it runs me for the week about $60.00 (1.70 per gal) however the diesel would be much chepper in the long run OR you could get the diesel and run vetetable oil in it. The oil you could get for free.....
I'm going to change my big diesel truck over to vetegable oil and save about 5 grand a yr in fuel cost

Travis Followell
12-08-2004, 07:30 PM
Personally I would go with the Toro because of the deck. The adjustable baffle is a very nice feature that lets you fine tune the mower to your specific cutting requirements and that means a better quality of cut and its $800 cheaper. If you want to spend more then the Kubota's are good too. I have heard very good things about them. You really couldn't go wrong with any of the three that your considering because they are all good mowers.

LawnBoy89
12-08-2004, 07:32 PM
You can run vegatable oil in a deisel engine?

Do you get it at the dump?

I would personally go with the eXmark, it's a popular unit and I've never heard anyone complaning about it. And if you get to use one while yours is being serviced is also a great idea, for both the company and the customer.

locutus
12-08-2004, 07:43 PM
We have 1 commercial account that is 50 townhouses, a property developer with 4 small office buildings, and a small handful (less than 5) residential accounts. We plan to get as many additional accounts as possible.

The toro guy tells me the toro is a better unit than the eXmark, and he has one that is 800 dollars cheaper. The Kubota is about 2 grand more than both.Talk about having all your eggs in one basket. I wouldn't buy anything until I became more diversified and you must know that any dealer is going to give you a biased opinion on equipment.

Envy Lawn Service
12-08-2004, 07:47 PM
Which Kubota are we talking about? ZD21, the new ZD25 or the ZD28?
Also which deck are we talking about? The stamped tractor type deck or the Pro-Deck?

Travis Followell
12-08-2004, 07:53 PM
Which Kubota are we talking about? ZD21, the new ZD25 or the ZD28?
Also which deck are we talking about? The stamped tractor type deck or the Pro-Deck?
Envy, which type Kubota deck is the best? I looked at both at the dealer the other day and I actually liked the Stamped deck on the compact tractors better than the pro deck on the ztr's but thats just me looking at them. Never used either one.

TLM
12-08-2004, 08:03 PM
[QUOTE=LawnBoy89]You can run vegatable oil in a deisel engine?

Do you get it at the dump?

Go here and ck it out
http://www.greasel.com/
http://www.greasecar.com/

Envy Lawn Service
12-08-2004, 08:30 PM
Envy, which type Kubota deck is the best? I looked at both at the dealer the other day and I actually liked the Stamped deck on the compact tractors better than the pro deck on the ztr's but thats just me looking at them. Never used either one.

Well Travis, personally I think it depends on how you set it up and the conditions you are cutting in. But the Pro Deck is certainly built a lot stronger.

I see one guy here with the Pro Deck. It seems to cut really clean, discharge clippings are finely chopped and there is no clumping. I see a lot of the the stamped decks on tractors, front mowers and ZTR's. The majority seem to cut very poorly. They puke clumps, windrow pretty bad or leave that hayfield look behind. But on the other hand I see a few that seem to cut really well.

So I'm confused personally. I'm starting to think it might be more about setup and maintenance.... or maybe cutting speed. But if I were given the choice, I'd probably still go with the Pro Deck.

By the way, I looked at one of those BX2230 Kubota tractors with the 60" belly mower on it a while back. Not bad, and the versitility of a tractor is always nice...

oldturf
12-08-2004, 10:23 PM
I would go with the toro, I use them and I am very pleased. That said though, all three have strong support in the market. You will probably be happy with any of the three. Let the dealer decide for you. Go with the best dealer. If their is no preferance in dealer then go TORO. I do not think the new deck with the adjustable baffel can be beat.

Envy Lawn Service
12-08-2004, 11:24 PM
Now boy, that's a hard decision, they are so much the same, yet so different and these days you can often get either from the same dealer....

My 2 cents is this... The Toro Z557 is without question much stronger built. The front frame rails are larger and the deck is all 7 guage as apposed to the 10 guage eXmark deck. The spindles also seem to be way stronger. The adjustable baffle, quick remove pulley shields, rubber discharge chute, single deck belt and large diameter controls are also nice features.

My dislikes are the offset on the 60" deck, which some people prefer, the left side control panel location and the black fuel tanks.

However, I'm more impressed with the people at eXmark and honestly the only thing I don't like about the eXmark is the welded in fixed deck baffle.

I would have a really hard time choosing between them.

jtrice11
12-09-2004, 10:05 AM
I think I'm going with the Toro, I can get a 557 with the 27 hp Kohler engine and a 60 inch deck, one with 80 hrs on it, for 6400. THe guy really wants to get rid of it. My other option is the eXmark with 25 hrs on it for 7200. I have to get a collection system because there is a ton of money in fall clean up around this area. Lots of mature trees, and billions of leaves.

Rhett
12-09-2004, 10:17 AM
Mow with both units and pick out the one you like best. Everyone will have thier own preferences. As far as going with the Stihl hand helds and blower I would definetly shop around. I have found that all of my Stihl equipment is hard to start. Tend to have carb issues on a regular bases. Thier top of the line 420 blower, as stated in a different post, has the power of a Barby and Ken hair dryer. Sad thing is it is just a few bucks cheaper than the Pb 651 or the 8000.

jtrice11
12-09-2004, 11:01 AM
ewe, appreciate the word of warning. I will shop around.