PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a 32" Stander tomorrow...Help!

ZaK18
12-08-2004, 02:17 PM
My local Wright dealer just got in the 32" Stander and is offering it at $3899. Is this a good price?
I have always used 21" and Here's my number one concern, tires are the same width as the old 36" (which Ive heard have problems with rutting) Am I going to have the same problem?
I know its personal preference but would I be better off going with a walk-behind or Gravely 34Z instead
If you have any input please respond, Thanks :)

GreenMonster
12-08-2004, 02:26 PM
my input is that YOU are not really sure what you want to go with. I think you should consider all the factors a little more carefully for a while before making your decision.

My experience has been that you shouldn't jump into $4000 decision without giving all factors due consideration.

Good Luck!

snap12.5
12-08-2004, 02:52 PM
in order for you to realize the true potential of a wright stander you should get at least a 42'' because of the wider tires and wider cut. 32'' doesnt sound like it would be worth it. if you need something small to get through gates, buy a walk behind and then save the money for a wider stander for the large areas.

Fareway Lawncare
12-08-2004, 03:17 PM
I'd Be Very Worried about Rutting w/the 32"...36" I used was Terrible...I hear the 36" is using Wider Tires Now so Should be Better.

Can you get the 17hp Kaw or just the 15hp ?!?

Check out the 32"Wright Velke Mower before Buying the Stander & post some pics of the 32" if you Get a Chance !

leafitalawn
12-08-2004, 03:49 PM
If your area is like mine (north of houston), small gates for all yards, then yes, the 32" stander sounds like an excellent idea. I'm going to get one myself within the next week or so. The price your dealer has sounds real good. The retail on those are $4999.

If you decide to get one, let me know how you like it..

ZaK18
12-08-2004, 03:57 PM
my input is that YOU are not really sure what you want to go with. I think you should consider all the factors a little more carefully for a while before making your decision.

My experience has been that you shouldn't jump into $4000 decision without giving all factors due consideration.

Good Luck!

Thanks for your input/advice. I had been planing on purchasing the 32" stander since I first heard it was comming out 6 months ago. Almost all of my 60 lawns are small and have 36" gates, this size mower would be Ideal. Now that I am ready to purchase I'm having second thoughts. Many of my customers I got because I use pushmowers and I CAN NOT leave ruts in there yards

ZaK18
12-08-2004, 04:05 PM
I'd Be Very Worried about Rutting w/the 32"...36" I used was Terrible...I hear the 36" is using Wider Tires Now so Should be Better.

Can you get the 17hp Kaw or just the 15hp ?!?

Check out the 32"Wright Velke Mower before Buying the Stander & post some pics of the 32" if you Get a Chance !

The 32" is only available in the 15hp Kaw :cry: But my dealer insists that it has more than enough power. I remember reading about how the standers were underpowered, but thats the same engine on the Gravely 34Z, and I havent heard anything negative about that machine.
I cant understand why the stander is so bad about rutting. Its a good bit lighter then the small Z's

gogetter
12-08-2004, 05:41 PM
I cant understand why the stander is so bad about rutting. Its a good bit lighter then the small Z's

It would just be because of the narrower tires on the smaller Standers.
The best you can do is to make sure you keep changing your pattern each week. And not just change direction, but change your tire tracks. Move over just 6 inches in one direction or the other from time to time.

Keep us posted.

Norm Al
12-08-2004, 05:43 PM
you can get a lesco for about $1400.00

coonman
12-08-2004, 09:14 PM
We had the 36inch stander last year. Had terrible problems with rutting. We tried everything changing patterns etc. Don't even think about using it after a rain. We had too many complaints about the ruts. After a while it just ended up sitting on the trailer and we went with the 21's. On the smaller residentials we found the walk behinds much more efficient and there is no worry about ruts. We sold our Stander this year and bought a couple more Toro 21's. That was the best move we made for the year.

Itsgottobegreen
12-08-2004, 09:21 PM
The 32" is only available in the 15hp Kaw :cry: But my dealer insists that it has more than enough power. I remember reading about how the standers were underpowered, but thats the same engine on the Gravely 34Z, and I havent heard anything negative about that machine.

I got 17hp of the 52". So I am sure its not under powered at 15 hp kawi.

Any 32" mower will rut. My metro ruts if its really wet. I plan on buying one when my metro dies. Which I hope is soon since I want a 32" stander ASAP.

You will be the only guy in town with one. Can you can bragging rights. :p

Mo Green
12-08-2004, 09:25 PM
you can get a lesco for about $1400.00
Is this a stander or walk behind?

nitrotim
12-08-2004, 09:26 PM
52" Wright Stander 23hp -Grassgobbler Turbo

Itsgotto
begreen I am real close to buying one of these I am just curious if scalping is a problem with the fixed deck as oppose to some of the other standers (JD-GD) with a floating deck. Thanks

Itsgottobegreen
12-08-2004, 09:30 PM
Nope. The wheel base is so short on the stander that it can't scalp. The JD with the long wheel base scalps.

I have only scalped once. Only because the tire fell off. Last time I use a 3/8" drive and stocks to tight the lugs nuts up. Impact gun all the way from now one.

ZaK18
12-08-2004, 09:39 PM
We had the 36inch stander last year. Had terrible problems with rutting. We tried everything changing patterns etc. Don't even think about using it after a rain. We had too many complaints about the ruts. After a while it just ended up sitting on the trailer and we went with the 21's. On the smaller residentials we found the walk behinds much more efficient and there is no worry about ruts. We sold our Stander this year and bought a couple more Toro 21's. That was the best move we made for the year.

Thanks Coonman, Thats the kind of answer I was looking for ( well...Not really :) ) I'm so glad I started this thread or I might have regreted this purchase. Looks like I need to rethink everything.

ZaK18
12-08-2004, 09:49 PM
[QUOTE=Itsgottobegreen]I got 17hp of the 52". So I am sure its not under powered at 15 hp kawi.

Any 32" mower will rut. My metro ruts if its really wet. I plan on buying one when my metro dies. Which I hope is soon since I want a 32" stander ASAP.

Hmm...any mower, heck even a 21" will rut in the right conditions. I have never owned a larger mower, so I have no experience, but are you saying that a 32" will rut worse then a larger heavier unit?

impactlandscaping
12-08-2004, 10:03 PM
Zak-I think you need to go into the dealer and tell him you want an on site demo, and take it to some of your accounts and mow with it. That is going to be the only sure way to tell if the Stander is right for you or not. Our dealer hasn't got any in yet, but I am waiting to try one out as soon as they do. If you do buy it, be sure to let us all know how it went, and what you like / dislike about the new 32".

SouthernYankee
12-16-2004, 02:44 AM
I was wondering what the verdict on the 32" wrigth stander was....did anyone demo or buy one.....how did it go??

rodfather
12-16-2004, 07:49 AM
4 grand for a 32" mower??? That's nuts!!!

moremowing4me
12-16-2004, 08:54 AM
4 grand for a 32" mower??? That's nuts!!!

It is unless that mower can save you time and money. I bought the gravely 34Z this past year and it will have paid for itself by next year, because of gated props and tight spaces in residential yards.

brucec32
01-01-2005, 10:38 AM

It's ground pressure that matters, not gross weight. pounds per square foot of surface area contacting the ground. A heavier unit with fat tires might leave less rutting, in that case.

Fatter tires do tear turf worse than thin ones if you pivot a tire.

brucec32
01-01-2005, 11:26 AM
It'd be great if Wright would find a way to make the stander useable as a walk mower in some situations. Probably would require a complete redesign due to balance and safety issues. But imagine the sales of a walk mower you could also stand on!

I'd also say to Rodfather's assertion that $4000 is too high for a 32"....it all depends! I had the same questions myself when shopping that size mower. If your $4000 small mower produces at say, twice the rate of a 21" walk (factoring in things like fatigue to operator, ability to power through tough grass, etc, as well as the added time for turns on the 32" vs. a 21"), then you are basically saving one employee. Also, two 21" commercial units cost about $2,000. So, for your additional $2,000 investment you are saving $12-$15/hour or so day in, day out. In about a month you're at break-even.

All this assumes you actually need a 32" mower and can't use a bigger one, of course. In my case I found the 32" wb I bought was too small, a 36" would have been better for 90% of the lawns I handled.

DSIM
01-01-2005, 11:54 AM
For the last 2 years I used a 32" lesco wb. It would rut because of the narrow tires. I cant imagine the extra weight of the operator on top of that. I would not buy it. I would rather have a 36" with a sulky but better than that my fastrak 36 z. :)

ZaK18
01-01-2005, 12:02 PM
Bruce, thanks for your imput.
I have held off purchasing the 32" stander after hearing mixed reviews. The new 36" may be a better choice with the wider tires. My only concern with either of these standers is that they are known to leave ruts.

I am a solo operator and nearly burned myself out last year mowing 60 weekly accounts with 21" proline. I would love to be able ride, and for once enjoy working. The stander might be the perfect mower, or could very well be a $4000 nightmare.

I have 2 months to make a decision between the stander or walk behind :cry:

Pecker
01-01-2005, 01:29 PM
Someone mentioned the Wright Stander 32" is a fixed deck. . .is this true? I will never, ever, neverever, ever buy a fixed deck mower. All mine are floaters because cut height varies from lawn to lawn. . .

ZaK18
01-01-2005, 07:37 PM
Someone mentioned the Wright Stander 32" is a fixed deck. . .is this true? I will never, ever, neverever, ever buy a fixed deck mower. All mine are floaters because cut height varies from lawn to lawn. . .

Unfortunintly the 32/36" Standers are fixed decks.

PMLAWN
01-01-2005, 07:52 PM
ZaK18 60 lawns with a 21 WOW, get something! Look at a W/B with a velke
We use a few 36" proline hydros with a single wheel velke (we found the single easier to back up). I think that would make your life so much better.
Demo Demo Demo!!!

ZaK18
01-01-2005, 08:32 PM
ZaK18 60 lawns with a 21 WOW, get something! Look at a W/B with a velke
We use a few 36" proline hydros with a single wheel velke (we found the single easier to back up). I think that would make your life so much better.
Demo Demo Demo!!!

I was very fortunate last year to have enough business to max me out. **WOW** is an understatement for mowing 60 lawns a week with a 21". I would typically work between 12-14 hours a day 6 days a week.
My wright dealer wouldnt let me have a on-site demo on the 32" Stander, and
in DFW The market for WB's is dead, and most dealers dont have any in stock, so its hard to demo one.
I plan on narrowing down my search on lawnsite then going from there.