PDA

View Full Version : bentgrass spreading

snap12.5
12-08-2004, 03:40 PM
has anyone noticed those lighter mat like patches of grass taking over people's lawns. ive talked to trugreen and they say to use roundup several times but that does not seem to get rid of it. once bentgrass gets in your lawn it seems like you are stuck. in ohio it seems like almost everyone has these bentgrass patches forming. does anyone know how it spreads? or how to take care of it???

KenH
12-08-2004, 04:18 PM
Impossible to selectively rid a lawn of creeping bentgrass....Spreads aggressively by stolons.

TClawn
12-08-2004, 05:13 PM
you have to spray it with roundup. no other method is known for killing agrostis spp. (creeping bentgrass)

I'm gonna try salt on it later today. I have an extremly salt tolerant lawn (you can water it with ocean water) and have used salt as an herbicide for just about everything. the only thing it does not kill is nutsedge.

lawnguyland
12-08-2004, 05:20 PM
Bentgrass is spreading around here. Could be in the seed mix or wind blown or bird pooped onto the lawn!
Not too sure about that salt idea though. Ever hear of "salting the earth"? It's not a good thing. Oh wait, I am sure, don't salt the lawn.

red raider04
12-08-2004, 06:58 PM
it would probably be to expensive to use, but a fairly recent study was conducted that showed isoxaflutole and mesotrione applications control bentgrass spread in golf course roughs.....these are pretty restricted chemicals though. if you really want it gone, cold steel may be the only alternative if the roundup apps don't get it. what's worse is monsanto will be trying to release a roundup-ready bentgrass sometime in the not-so distant future!

wmsland
12-08-2004, 08:03 PM
Are you sure that it is Bentgrass and not Nimblewill, they really resemble each other and it is almost impossible to control.

TClawn
12-08-2004, 08:08 PM
Not too sure about that salt idea though. Ever hear of "salting the earth"? It's not a good thing. Oh wait, I am sure, don't salt the lawn.

yes, I've heard that it is not a good idea. but my grass (seashore paspalum), is VERY salt tolerant. as long as I don't kill the soil in the beds with salt I'm fine.

Drew Gemma
12-08-2004, 08:45 PM
Ohio here bent grass yes a pain but it can be managed. Round -up 2 or 3 times then over seed in fall. Reason it is so hard is look at how it grows. It spreads from rhizomes. Plus this plant pretty much grows paralle when mowed at normal lawn heights. I have had so many customers tell me they pull it out by hand and it just keeps coming back. I tell them why and they look at me like I am crazy. Oh well the next year they pay me to get rid of it.

upidstay
12-08-2004, 09:03 PM
Bentgrass is a royal pain. Had a customer dump me because I couldn't get rid of it in one season. (even though I warned them it would be a long battle) Try using roundup and then an acid like Scythe. Mix them both good and strong. I like to use more RU than is recomended for really tough weeds. Seems to work a little better. Let the Round Up sit for a day and then whack it with the Scythe. Will most likely have to reapply later. ALdo, a sod cutter works well too. Cut out the offending patches, overlapping a foot or so and reseed/sod. Bentgrass is almost as hard to get rid of as moles!! Good luck

YardPro
12-08-2004, 10:39 PM
Bentgrass is a royal pain. Had a customer dump me because I couldn't get rid of it in one season. (even though I warned them it would be a long battle) Try using roundup and then an acid like Scythe. Mix them both good and strong. I like to use more RU than is recomended for really tough weeds. Seems to work a little better. Let the Round Up sit for a day and then whack it with the Scythe. Will most likely have to reapply later. ALdo, a sod cutter works well too. Cut out the offending patches, overlapping a foot or so and reseed/sod. Bentgrass is almost as hard to get rid of as moles!! Good luck

get the roundup quick pro.

same benefit.
has diquat for the fast leaf necrosis

snap12.5
12-08-2004, 11:01 PM
thanks for the replies. Roundup quick pro - where do u get it at, havent seen it.
drew - have u found that bentgrass actually dies with 2-3 roundup applications? whenever i spray the patches it seems like a few months later a new patch forms in a new part of the lawn. i think that in the spring mowers probably can spread it around.
what bothers me the most about this stuff is that you can spend thousands of dollars on a new lawn using the most expensive grass seed and then watch over the years as the lawn turns to crap.

Runner
12-09-2004, 03:31 AM
It doesn't matter what chemical you use on it, how strong, or how fast it works. This is not what does it. Glyphostae is active on it and effective. However, the trick is repeated applications - over and over. It takes time - alot of it, because you don't have access to the entire plant. You have to wait it out and keep re-applying. Even if you sterilize the whole lawn, you will have it. I have a job (residential) on a golf course (one of the most common areas you'll see this stuff - for obvious reasons) that the next door neighbors had some. Lawn Doctor came out, sterilized the whole yard, and reseeded. Well, guess what?

GroundKprs
12-09-2004, 08:20 AM
Watch for Certainty - will probably be out next year. Explanation here (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=83839).

And bentgrass is stoloniferous (above ground stems), not rhizomatous (underground stems). That is why flail raking will control it in KBG.

snap12.5
12-14-2004, 08:14 PM
i cant wait until spring when i can start on this problem. this bentgrass is terrible and hopefully i can finally put an end to it. has anyone ever thought that it spreads through mowing when clippings are side dishcarged and eventually root?

malliso
12-14-2004, 10:28 PM
around here we have a similar problem but its nimblewill, everyone thinks they have grass in their lawns till around fall the nimblewill goes dormant and the lawn is nothing but brown patches,something I just learned from agriculture of our state is to renovate the lawn when the nimblewill goes dormant,cut your lawn at half inch and reseed,if the grass is thick enough it will beat the nimblewill out,course ,lol,guess thats common sense...