PDA

View Full Version : New guy needs mower advice

yardmonkey
05-19-2000, 11:32 AM
Have been mowing for about 6 weeks. Actually doing lots of other stuff - hedges, gardens, etc. Anyway, I got a new Honda commercial mower,HRC215SXA, after using a couple of cheap Sears mowers for awhile. The first couple of lawns I mowed, I was happy with the Honda. But then I went to do a larger lawn that I don't bag. Its really too big to bag and they don't want it bagged. I try to convince people to let me mulch anyway. She had waited 3 weeks to call me and it was a bit thick. But not as thick as the first time I cut it, which the Sears mower handled OK. The Honda just wouldn't do it. I had the mulching blade installed. The mower would just keep stalling and I would have to reach under and pull out clumps of grass that were stuck between the blade and the deck. I kept setting it higher and finally went home and got the Sears mower. Perhaps I need to use a different mower for mulching in thick grass? What would be a good one for that? Other ideas? <p>People have told me a new mower may take a <br>while to &quot;break in&quot;. I wonder how long that<br>could be and how much difference that could make. And I wonder how much cutting power is<br>lost when the self-propell is engaged?<p>I know that grass should be cut before it<br>gets too thick but I don't want to tell the<br>customer what to do or turn down business.<p>I'm thinking the Honda just isn't designed<br>to mulch in thick grass and hoping that<br>some mowers will do better for that.<p>Thanks<br>

lawrence stone
05-19-2000, 01:43 PM
The 21&quot; toro commercial recycler is the best<br>mulching trimming mower. I have two 1989 pre<br>blade brake/zone start nonsence units (2 cycle suzuki engines) with the plastic defectors installed in the deck<br>with the recycler blade and accelerator &quot;thinghy&quot;.<p>Last week I was able to mow 6 out of 9 lawns<br>with a 21&quot; toro mower and that were nine days<br>old without bagging.<p>As far as the bigger mid size mowers go your<br>better off expeirmenting with differnet blades and side discharge in all seasons.<br>

Getmow
05-19-2000, 06:53 PM
I agree with stone.. the 4.5hp 2cycle Toro is a CUTTING unit. The Honda sounds like it needs a tune up Buy a 44&quot; Toro walk behind...the best money You'll spend for what you do.

cutntrim
05-19-2000, 09:52 PM
Our Hondas are great for bagging but we only mulch in the summertime. Wet, thick grass isn't ideal for the Honda as far as mulching goes. Try using the side discharge chute (if you've got one), it'll leave the grass clippings in long windrows that are easily raked up. Once the grass growth slows you'll be able to mulch fine. <p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>www.cutntrim.com

Charles
05-19-2000, 10:46 PM
Tell the B**ch u dont cut high grass and move on

yardmonkey
05-20-2000, 12:58 AM
Wow, thanks for all the response.<br>Keep it coming if you have more to say on this. I had been wondering about the<br>Toros. Looking at their website I was<br>surprised to see the 2-cycle engines as options. Why would you want that on a mower?<br>I probably won't get too radical on this, but<br>a friend of mine does lawn care with all electric tools, mowers and all, for environmental reasons and even advertises it.<br>May not be practical, but I would like to<br>work towards being more &quot;earth-friendly&quot;.<br>I'm not sure, but aren't 2-cycle engines way<br>more polluting. Anyway, would a new Toro<br>4-cycle recycler probably do a better job<br>of mulching than a Honda?<br>And what about different blades? Do I have other options besides Honda blades that should work with the Honda? Also, mine<br>does not have side-discharge.<br>I haven't thought about anything bigger than <br>a 21&quot;, maybe someday. As far as telling someone I don't cut high grass, I'm not yet<br>in a position to turn down business and a lot<br>of my calls are from people who haven't had their lawns mowed yet. I've had to use the<br>weedeater on some first. If I don't cut high grass, who does? It just doesn't seem like <br>it should be such a problem to make a mower<br>that can really cut grass. I can understand<br>that maybe if you design a mower to cut high<br>thick grass, it isn't going to be designed to <br>cut &quot;regular&quot; grass as well and vice-versa Thanks again for all the responses, this was my first posting and I'm impressed with the knowledge and activity here.<p><p>

jlboots
05-20-2000, 01:06 AM
Have used the toro 21 inch recyclers a lot in the past. LIke them real well for mulching. Picked up a Snapper 21 A.I.R with a ninja blade and it's a mulching machine. I'm impressed. Don't use it much. Have a DIxon 30 inch commercial I use on almost everything. Best thing I have ever bought.

Getmow
05-20-2000, 10:58 AM
If you wanted to be &quot;Earth Friendly&quot; you would scrap all your gasoline powered equipment. Buy a push reel mower and some hand pruning shears...GET REAL

yardmonkey
05-20-2000, 11:41 AM
Well, like I said, it may not be too practical and I probably won't get too radical, but its a good thing to keep environmental concerns in mind when buying<br>equipment. I saw a NOVA show recently about global warming that was very scary. (And maybe I will use non-powered tools someday). <br>Anyway, I still wonder why there would be a<br>2-cyle engine on a mower. I have heard that<br>2-cycle engines are better for steep hills<br>since they don't have to be level to operate.<br>Is that the reason for the 2-cycle engines<br>on the Toros or are there other advantages?<p>

Charles
05-20-2000, 02:23 PM
All customers should be on a 1 week, 10 days, or 2 week schedule max. Running a professional commercial business you need to have a schedule. You lose control when u let customers decide when they think their grass needs cutting. of course alot of them would waite til it get high and call you. They want to save money. They don't care if it takes you longer and more wear and tear on your equipment. You have to make them respect the fact that you are running a business and that you don't intentionally cut high grass. Now if its within the 2 weeks and the grass is high then that is your problem. You can then try to move them up to a 10 day or weekly schedule. Especially if you have to bag or mulch.Or just charge them more money

thelawnguy
05-20-2000, 10:52 PM
To expand on Charles' thought, this season I made it a policy all lawns mowed weekly or bi-weekly no more of this 10 day, will-call crap, I have grossed 1500 more so far from end of April to now by mowing when it needs it not when the customer thinks it needs it. I only lost one customer and one headache when I implemented it.<p>Bill

LiVe2
05-24-2000, 01:56 AM
I know this is a late post but you should mow a yard like that atleast 1 time a week. You put more wear and tear on your equpment everytime you let it get to high.