PDA

View Full Version : Great Dane feedback

zamboni
12-08-2004, 08:03 PM
I'm about to pull the trigger on a GD 36" Super Surfer. I love the speed and quality of cut from many of my friendly competitors. I have about 30 customers and I'm starting to get moe interest from more :) potential customers. I just can't walk much more. I'm full time/part time so speed and comfort are very important. I have a 44" toro hydro that I will keep as a back-up. It is good but the 15 hp engine doesn't pull me too quickly on my proslide. This is my first post, what an awesome site, almost as good as Myrtle beach and skiing chat!

bugspit
12-08-2004, 08:10 PM
If you can't/rather not walk anymore, are you sure you would rather stand than sit?

the surfer is a stand style mower isn't it?

you might also do a search on this mower, alot of great information from some very sharp guys.

welcome.

John's Lawn Service
12-26-2004, 07:04 PM
I am looking at the same mower to buy this week before the end of the year. What kind of price are you seeing on the mower?

Have you demo'd the 36" unit? I have only used the Great Dane 61" unit as a demo. I currently use a SCAG 61" turf tiger and Toro 52" belt drive walk behind.

Kent

Travis Followell
12-26-2004, 07:09 PM
To be a stand up mower it is pretty comfortable. If you don't want to spend the extra $ and get a ztr then i'd definately recommend a super surfer.

ZaK18
12-26-2004, 10:27 PM
I have heard that the GD 36" SS is a problematic machine.
When John Deere bought out Great Dane they discontinued the 36" super surfer. Makes you wonder. Do some research before making a big purchase. :D

bottlefed89
12-28-2004, 02:19 AM
I've got a 48" dane and love it, not sure of problems with the 36" specifically. I do know that a lot of people on here flame the dane's and say wrights are the only way to go, but I bought my dane with something likew 4 or 5 hours on it for $4200, or $4500 (can't remember) and I love it.

John's Lawn Service
01-22-2005, 12:37 AM
Against the advice of many posters, I did buy the Great Dane 36". I paid $3500 for the 17 HP Kawasaki. The unit is brand new. I think this was a fair deal. The dealer had 2 shops and closed one close to where I live. This unit was leftover so they took it to their other store, which specializes more in John Deere golf course equipment and residential stuff. They wanted to get rid of it. I am comfortable with the service in the event of any problems. The only problems I've seen on larger Great Danes, was the wheel motors bending or cracking off the mounts. It resembled something you'd see with broken axles. I must say there are a several LCO's in the area with danes on there trailers.

I have to adjust cutting height on lawns too often (dif customers). The stander just didn't seem to be the best choice for me when it came to changing the deck height.

Kent
21' Pusher
2 STIHL FS80 trimmers with poly cut heads
2 large ECHO backpack blowers
JRCO aerator for SCAG
Bedshaper brand bed edger
Litl wonder 10HP blower
STIHL Chain Saw and hedge trimmer

promower
01-22-2005, 12:41 AM
I have a 61" SS and love it. Fast, good cut, not to many problems. Changing the oil on these things is a royal pain though.