PDA

View Full Version : How many hours showing on a new ZTR?

bigz1001
12-08-2004, 09:16 PM
What is an acceptable number of hours to be showing on an hour meter for a new ZTR? What is an unreasonable amount for a "brand new" one? Thanks.

Lawnchoice
12-08-2004, 09:20 PM
Not really sure what you are trying to say.

IMO a new machine has ZERO hours on it. Or should I say less than and hour for breakin/testing purposes.

mcclureandson
12-08-2004, 09:24 PM
Bought one new this year with less than 2 on it...

l1011100
12-08-2004, 09:34 PM
Mine had .1 on it.

PLM-1
12-08-2004, 09:43 PM
mine had .3 on it and that was because i tested that particular machine for a few minutes before i loaded it up.

LawnBoy89
12-08-2004, 09:45 PM
They need to start them to move them right? Because isn't it really hard to push a hydro, or impossible?

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
12-08-2004, 09:51 PM
They need to start them to move them right? Because isn't it really hard to push a hydro, or impossible?

Not only hard but bad for the pumps. There is a correct way to move hydros though.

sildoc
12-08-2004, 09:52 PM
What is an acceptable number of hours to be showing on an hour meter for a new ZTR? What is an unreasonable amount for a "brand new" one? Thanks.
I know what you are talking about. I have been looking for a 52" Z and all the ones that they want to get rid of have a min of 25 hours on them. I was ready to buy one ( had 45 hours on it) He wanted only 100 less than new. To me that is ridiculous. Guess what... He still owns it.
I won't buy one that has less than 4 hours on it period unless they are giving me a hell of a deal.

ElephantNest
12-08-2004, 10:04 PM
Mine had .1 on it also. Hydros can be pushed easily with the flip of a switch. If they are moving it from one side of the showroom to the other, it should be pushed. If they have them outside or something, I could see cranking them each time to move them in/out.

25 hours on a machine is used. At least get a demo price.

beransfixitinc
12-08-2004, 10:11 PM
Mine had .1 on it also. Hydros can be pushed easily with the flip of a switch. If they are moving it from one side of the showroom to the other, it should be pushed. If they have them outside or something, I could see cranking them each time to move them in/out.

25 hours on a machine is used. At least get a demo price.

IF A MACHINE HAS NEVER LEFT THE DEALERSHIP, IT IS NOT USED. I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT WHAT YOU PEOPLE ARE TALKING ABOUT.. A machine still comes with the full factory warranty, no matter how many hours it has on it when it leaves the dealer. I guess you all go and look for trucks with absolute 0 miles on the odometer too huh?

Also, I would like to see you all push a close to 1500lb machine around and turn and manuver it frequently.

LawnBoy89
12-08-2004, 10:15 PM
I thought USED is when you USE a machine. I mean I would think that the word USED would have some connection with the words/verd TO USE. Even if it wsa just going in and out 45 hours on a machine that is being sold for a brand new price is rediculous. Starting it up all the time and running the motor is just more wear and tear even if it isn't hitting the turf.

sildoc
12-08-2004, 10:27 PM
IF A MACHINE HAS NEVER LEFT THE DEALERSHIP, IT IS NOT USED. I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT WHAT YOU PEOPLE ARE TALKING ABOUT.. A machine still comes with the full factory warranty, no matter how many hours it has on it when it leaves the dealer. I guess you all go and look for trucks with absolute 0 miles on the odometer too huh?

Also, I would like to see you all push a close to 1500lb machine around and turn and manuver it frequently.

I would agree with you. But. As we all know 10 Miles is not equal to 10 hours on a machine. I.e. You let someone test it. Is it taken care of??? No. It is put to the max.. When you go buy a new truck you usually have a dealership person ride with you. You drive maybe 10 miles max.
You give a guy a mower for the day. He says hmmm gravy. Lets see what it will do. Puts 5 hours of the roughest lets see if it will jump this hump ride.
Now if it has more than say 8 hours on that means the dealer most likely used that machine for a loaner.
We do not treat equiptment like it is ours if it is a rental. That is why we rent. When we need to get the job done and we know it will tear up equiptment. Either that or we just do not use it enough to make it worth while buying.

FULL factory waranty or not it is still used!

YardPro
12-08-2004, 10:28 PM
how to you think they get it to the display area (outside) every day, and then back in the storage, and to wash it.
when you go and look at a unit don't you drive it around the lot before you buy it?
what if you don't buy it. take two or three people looking at it and it could ack up a few hrs.

impactlandscaping
12-08-2004, 10:29 PM
Several mowers we have bought have had varied hours. I once bought a "new" Snapper Hydro form our dealer that had it in rental , and it had 65 hours on it. I got a heck of a deal on the price, and it was never registered, so we got full factory warranty for 2 years as well. My Standers came with 1.5 hours and .5 hours, and the Z came with .3 on it.

Envy Lawn Service
12-08-2004, 10:35 PM
A lot of dealers drive them from the warehouse out back to out front of the dealership almost every day. They will collect a few hours after being there a while. Also once and a while a switch gets left on.... maybe all weekend.

To me, the test of used, up to a point, is rather or not it has cut grass.

You guys would get a real kick out of the dealers around here. Some have units that are 4-5 model years old, yet they want 2004-2005 prices for them and won't move a nickel or order you an '05. Yet they wonder why they still have them and blame that brand for slow sales.

bigz1001
12-08-2004, 11:26 PM
Ok, I guess I should have finished the entire story earlier, just got home from the dealer and I didn't know whether to be upset or not. I actually purchased this mower over 2 weeks ago and after the time I was done with it driving it around the shop after the one I demoed (just wanted to drive the one I was actually laying the money down on) and it had 0.3 hours on it. The dealer agreed to hold on to the mower until I could make space for it in the garage, and he was going on vacation anyhow. Well, he has come and gone on his 4 day vacation and I stopped by his shop today after work and the mower now had 2.7 hours on it. Now, I understand that he may have needed to move it, and he is doing me a great favor by holding onto it (even though it is paid for in full) but to me the time seemed somewhat excessive. But, perhaps I was over reacting. Anyone?

beransfixitinc
12-08-2004, 11:32 PM
Was the dealership totally closed? Maybe they were still moving it around in their shop, maybe they did a "to be safe" burn in on the motor and hydros (you didn't mention I don't think if it was a hydro). Or maybe, like somebody here suggested, the key was left on for a little while before it was noticed.

bigz1001
12-08-2004, 11:44 PM
Yes, it is Hydro 60in. 27hp ZTR. Yes, his shop was totally closed for these 4 days. Seems, as if maybe I was quick to assume the worst (but hey, it is alot of money) and maybe there is no foul play. But, given theses responses it doesn't seem as if it is even worth mentioning to the dealer at this minor amount of difference.

65hoss
12-08-2004, 11:47 PM
If the mower were hurt in 2 hours, you don't need it anyway. It would be a lemon.

I would not worry about that few hours. No big deal.

dvmcmrhp52
12-08-2004, 11:50 PM

This is a silly statement.
A machine with 25 hours on it is HARDLY new.
It is a DEMO machine and needs to be sold as such.

1500 lb. machine?
What kind of mowers do you work with?
Oh, by the way, they push rather easily on a smooth flat surface.

BobwithECLC
12-08-2004, 11:55 PM
I bought a demo scag turf tiger 3 years ago with 55 hours on it 61" advantage deck 27 hp liquid cooled kaw for $7450 current model year. and just traded it for a new Toro for $5000.00. The Toro has 1hr on it

Soupy
12-09-2004, 12:34 AM

Are you saying that the dealer can cut the turf that belongs to the dealer and still consider it new? I don't care if it has a full factory warranty, that doesn't make it new.

Most dealers I have dealt with keep one mower on the showroom floor (inside, never moves). They also have demo models that the reps supply and are sold as used at the end of the year.

If I buy a mower I expect that the crate doesn't open until they are ready to sell. I would never buy a mower that has been moved in and out (exposed to elements of weather) everyday unless it came with a discount.

ElephantNest
12-09-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally Posted by beransfixitinc

That is wrong in so many ways, lol. Never left the dealership, yet every shmuck that asked about it got to take it around back and demo it. So you're saying no matter how many hours on the machine, as long as it is still at the dealer it's new? Wow, lol.

Wanna compare trucks to mowers? Ok, 25 hours on a mower is like 2500 miles on a truck. Still new? My 36" is almost a year old, with less than 60 hours on it, I'll sell it as new and see who takes.

Oh, and one of our cars had .3 miles on it, and my motorcycle had .1. That's new.

Fantasy Lawns
12-09-2004, 01:35 AM
We'll fore ME to be NEW it's gotta have bout 1 Hr on it or its USED

crawdad
12-09-2004, 05:26 AM
Ok, I guess I should have finished the entire story earlier, just got home from the dealer and I didn't know whether to be upset or not. I actually purchased this mower over 2 weeks ago and after the time I was done with it driving it around the shop after the one I demoed (just wanted to drive the one I was actually laying the money down on) and it had 0.3 hours on it. The dealer agreed to hold on to the mower until I could make space for it in the garage, and he was going on vacation anyhow. Well, he has come and gone on his 4 day vacation and I stopped by his shop today after work and the mower now had 2.7 hours on it. Now, I understand that he may have needed to move it, and he is doing me a great favor by holding onto it (even though it is paid for in full) but to me the time seemed somewhat excessive. But, perhaps I was over reacting. Anyone?

Easy to check. Look underneath, have the blades been run? If so, they were doing more than "holding it" for you. Sounds to me like he might have brought it home while on vacation, and mowed his lawn.
Crawdad

Mickhippy
12-09-2004, 09:51 AM
Sorry for butting in here but something I have wanted to know has come up in this thread!

On a ZTR, lets say it breaks down in the field or where ever. I need to tow, push it or load it onto the trailer.

Is there a lever/valve or something that opens the hydro so it can be free wheeled? (for want of a better word.) If it breaks down, how do you move it around?

My JD X595 has a lever that I can move that allow it to be pushed around.
Is there something like that on a ZTR?

ztoro
12-09-2004, 11:23 AM
Is there a lever/valve or something that opens the hydro so it can be free wheeled? (for want of a better word.) If it breaks down, how do you move it around?

yes,

most machines have a dump vlave that will allow you to roll the machine... Never had to do it and once you do do it I am not sure how to un do it...

If the deck is clean I wouldnt be so worried..... I would still try to haggle the price though... It will probably be there for awhile if he is trying to sell for top dollar... so you can keep going back and making your offer, he will probably except at some point

bigz1001
12-09-2004, 11:29 AM
yes,

If the deck is clean I wouldnt be so worried..... I would still try to haggle the price though... It will probably be there for awhile if he is trying to sell for top dollar... so you can keep going back and making your offer, he will probably except at some point

Well, that was part of my concern...I have already paid for this machine and he agreed to basically "store" it for me until I was able to finish my building to store the mower.

all ferris
12-09-2004, 11:38 AM
If you buy a ferris ztr the dealer can move it all over the place. he could even drive it to the next state but as long as he doesn't turn the blades on the hour meter will read ZERO. On ferris ztr's the clock only runs when the blades are on.

ztoro
12-09-2004, 11:40 AM
Well, that was part of my concern...I have already paid for this machine and he agreed to basically "store" it for me until I was able to finish my building to store the mower.

For 2 hrs I wouldnt worry, but ask him why there are hrs on it. It should be left in the back untouched.... Dont you have a garage you can store it in or a friends garage..

If he is letting customers try it out in the parking lot he should be giving you some sort of fee for the us e of your machine...

2.7 is really not a big deal but I wouldnt want any smucks testing out my Z.....

Like I said probably nothing to be worried about but I would say something....

Is he storing it for free or was that not talked about? maybe he feels since he is storing it at no cost to you , he can show it to others?

bigz1001
12-09-2004, 11:52 AM
For 2 hrs I wouldnt worry, but ask him why there are hrs on it. It should be left in the back untouched.... Dont you have a garage you can store it in or a friends garage..

Is he storing it for free or was that not talked about? maybe he feels since he is storing it at no cost to you , he can show it to others?

No, I am not paying him for holding onto it. I was going to purchase the machine when my building would be finished, but he assured me that I could get the better price and it was not a problem for him to keep it in the back till whenever I was ready(and he was on vacation during this period anyhow). I currently have no space in my garage to place this large mower. I guess I will check under the deck and see if it seems to have mowed, it would really stress me out however to think that he was demoing a mower that I paid for in full(in hindsight maybe he was in the rush to get the money before the Holiday's or before his vacation?). He is a very nice man and seems to be on the level, and has a very good reputation with his previous customers. I just don't think it would be reasonable for him to allow someone to demo my mower. However I know he is doing me a favor (and I feel as if I did him one purchasing before my building was ready) and that it needs moved out of his way.

Travis Followell
12-09-2004, 06:01 PM
Just curious but what brand ztr is it?

bigz1001
12-09-2004, 06:30 PM
Just curious but what brand ztr is it?

Dixie Chopper Flatlander Model #XWF2700-60. I chose the Flatlander over the Coatesville Classic and the Silver Eagle. From reading posts and pictures online my first choice would have been a Hustler. But there is no Hustler dealer within a reasonable distance from me in the same state.

Lux Lawn
12-09-2004, 06:49 PM
I bought a new Super Surfer this year it had less then an hour on it when I picked it up.

andygold
04-07-2005, 06:51 PM
Can an hour meter that has some hours on it be zeroed out by a dealer, or would a new one have to be installed to show "0" hours?

lawnman_scott
04-07-2005, 07:03 PM
What would be the price difference in two exmark lazer Z'z with 25hp on both, one has 2123 hours, and the other has 2100?

grassmanvt
04-07-2005, 07:14 PM
I realize this is an old thread and usually wouldn't respond but... guys, get over it, two, three, four hours, put yourselves in the dealer's position. If you want to get picky than a new mower should only be sold at list price and never discounted, right? All I'm saying is use a little common sense, two or three hours, who cares, And no I'm not a dealer I've just tried to learn not to let some of these petty things bother me. Not worth giving a second thought. Of course, if you had bought that particular mower, paid for it, and then he gave it out as a loaner that would be different but think about it. If you were in his position and someone wanted to try a mower in the yard and that one was right there, you would do probably do the same thing.

Steppenwolf
04-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Sorta of a dumb question but is it the same mower that you bought,they all kinda look the same.

bigz1001
04-09-2005, 09:46 PM
Dixie Chopper Flatlander Model #XWF2700-60. I chose the Flatlander over the Coatesville Classic and the Silver Eagle. From reading posts and pictures online my first choice would have been a Hustler. But there is no Hustler dealer within a reasonable distance from me in the same state.

On an interesting side note I didn't actually get the Flatlander and used my new Machine for the first time today! I got an extreme machine with the 32hp Generac and 60 in deck with the Chopper Double Blade adapter thing and 3 extra set's of blades(18 total). The machine has 16 hours on it, and the dealer let me have it for the same price, will post pictures tomorrow of my new beast! This machine is pretty overkill for my needs, but for the same money.

Envy Lawn Service
04-10-2005, 12:55 AM
Would you please keep me posted on fuel usage and overall opinion of the Generac?

Richard Martin
04-10-2005, 07:14 AM
Can an hour meter that has some hours on it be zeroed out by a dealer, or would a new one have to be installed to show "0" hours?

On Dixie Choppers the hour meter would need to be replaced and then the mower would have to be run. ALL Dixies come with at least 1/2 hour on the meter. Dixie Choppers are tested on a treadmill that simulates an uphill run to check out the hydros and other equipment.