PDA

View Full Version : Please help the new guy.

Hadly
12-08-2004, 09:50 PM
I am looking for some advice on what is the best way to get residential accounts. Word of mouth or by advertising in a newspaper?

PLM-1
12-08-2004, 09:58 PM
word of mouth is great if you already have customers. But if you are just starting out i would just go door to door. Make them tell you no to your face!

Mo Green
12-08-2004, 10:13 PM
Doorhangers, flyers, newspaper services section, and word of mouth. The last mentioned being the best. Once you get a couple of good customers, ask them to refer you to their friends or co-workers. If you do quality work, you'll soon have plenty.

Team Gopher
12-08-2004, 10:16 PM
Hi Hadly,

As Joplin said But if you are just starting out i would just go door to door.

Here are a bunch of free flyers. You can simply download, edit and print them out. Let us know if they help.

Click image for link.
http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/uploads/post-9-67028-free_flyer_2_preview.gif (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=942)

pgiambat
12-10-2004, 04:42 PM
Hadly,
I just posted the following text a few minutes ago on another thread, I think it'll help you too:

========================
I went from 6 accounts to 20 with an ad placed in the Thrifty Nickel. Other places have that same thing called different names (penny pincher, american classifieds etc...). It was $6.50/week so I ran it from April 1st to the end of May. I got a lot of calls. The local 'Big' paper charges WAY too much.

Usually, small town folk read the local publications, especially the free ones.

I put carefully selected words in my ad since mostly women respond to the ads. I used words like "Reasonable", "Friendly", "Honest" and "Dependable". My first year advertising I put a price in the ad but not since, it gives you more flexibility.

If someone called and we talked for at least a minute... I had the job. I sold MYSELF, not the cut. ANYONE can cut grass, not all good but anyone CAN cut. Also, you are battling the dirtball-undercutter that'll do it for $17/cut and then drop the account when they get a $25 cut down the street. Or, the 'kid' down the street that will cut for $10 but only shows up to cut every once in a while then not at all. This turns people off to hiring out their cut.

NOTE: My whole post is assuming you give a SWEET cut leaving the yard looking like a MILLION BUCKS!!

Find a SWEET corner lawn and offer to cut it for free in exchange for letting you put a sign in the yard, and make it a NICE looking sign. It's little things like this that will get you some cuts.

I justify my prices by telling the customer that I'll be there EVERY week or I'll call ahead of time and let them know. This works, and you'll get word of mouth. Keep your shirt on, your hair cut, shave and don't forget to smile, wave and say 'Hi' to their neighbors when you're cutting.
==============================

Hope it helps.

blue73thing
12-11-2004, 04:03 PM
Note, I've not started my biz yet; however one of my first thoughts to promote my startup was to cut some friends' yards for free. I have two families in mind that go to my church and they live in neighborhoods where there are about 100 or 150 homes. I thought if I cut them for free for a couple weeks, people see me and my (potentially purchased) big billboard truck and they might call my friends to see if they were happy with my service. Figure the yards would take less than 30 minutes each. Saves my friends from the first few cuts of the year, gets my biz some visibility and doesn't cost me that much cause I can take my kid and wife over and maybe have grilled burgers at their house that night when I'm done. WIN, WIN looks like. Free cut for them, free advertisement for me, and a pleasant evening with some friends and brews.

out4now
12-11-2004, 04:20 PM
Free is a four letter word here. lol. :p Gotta make some $. Word of your generosity may spread quicker than you think.

AEW
12-11-2004, 05:43 PM
What has helped me more than anything when I first was trying to just get some yards a few years back was newspaper classifieds. I was able to pick up some new yards and grow from there. Once you get some yards they tell their friends who will call you and then they will tell their friends..etc. etc.

Rhett
12-14-2004, 02:15 PM
If you choose to run adds in the newspaper insure you mention the area you serve if not you will be getting calls from all over. Door hangers is where I have gotten the best response. Choose the area you would like to work in and hang one on each door. Once you become established word of mouth will take over.

Good Luck
Rhett

Liberty Lawncare2
12-21-2004, 01:13 AM
This will be my 3rd season of mowing. I started by putting ad in paper did ok 28 accounts.This last summer i had 48 and didn't use an add. All came from word of mouth. If you get accounts and do good work, the jobs will come.

Commonwealth LC
12-28-2004, 10:11 AM
so would i go around putting the price for yard in the blank and put them on mailboxes or just hand them out without the cut price?