PDA

View Full Version : What do you know about Gravely walkbehinds??

2k1yzfr1
12-08-2004, 10:59 PM
I am wanting some FIRST HAND experience from some Gravely walkbehind owners. I am demoing a 44" belt drive fixed deck in the morning to replace a 36" scag I have. How well do you like your mower?? How's the cut?? I know hydros "rule" and belt drives are junk, but for a occasional use mower I'm not spending 4K on something I walkbehind 3-4 yards a day.

K.Carothers
12-09-2004, 12:03 AM
I have a 36" belt drive. Bought new 2 seasons ago. Works great! Cuts nice.
No, b/d are not junk but I wish I had bought the hydro.

stevo22
12-09-2004, 12:57 AM
i bought the prosteer the first yr it came out...within 2-5 hrs of use the right side belt would not hardly drive the right wheel...i adjusted the bar more and more as the hrs went up...at 180 hrs took it to the dealer to inquire about the belts...he said that new belts were 68 a piece..i said no way am i going to pay for new belts when there was less than 200 hrs on it...he called a rep and got new belts and brand new pulle system installed...well the right side is still stretching out more than the left...maybe i do more right hand turns i don't know...second issue that i have had has to do with the safety levers...the wiring harness kept on sheering the little wires where it plugs in under the console...the dealer had it, get this, 3 1/2 weeks waiting on parts...they completely replaced the whole console...steering levers, wiring harness, everything...said there was a recall on it...i'm wondering why in sam hell if there was a recall on it why they didn't have the parts stocked two or three at a time and why they did not call me to see when i could bring it in...other than that it cuts good...like the bigger gas tank, deck adjustment etc...my dealer just sucks...will never buy another piece of equipment from them even if i have to drive 50-100 miles out of the way...that won't happen b/c i'll be buying exmark, walker, or toro for my rider next yr...all in town...hope this helps...

2k1yzfr1
12-09-2004, 01:11 AM
Yeah I've had dealer issues like that in the past, but ever since our new sponsor of lawnsite "Landscape Supply" opened I've been treated like royalty. :D I'm not worried about dealer problems. I'm just wondering if this 44" Gravely will leave a nicer cut than say a 48" fixed exmark? They are pretty much the same price 2450 ish for the gravely and 2500 something for the exmark.

YardPro
12-09-2004, 01:36 AM
they were the first walk behind made, so i would think they would be pretty good.

olderthandirt
12-09-2004, 03:56 PM
I am wanting some FIRST HAND experience from some Gravely walkbehind owners. I am demoing a 44" belt drive fixed deck in the morning to replace a 36" scag I have. How well do you like your mower?? How's the cut?? I know hydros "rule" and belt drives are junk, but for a occasional use mower I'm not spending 4K on something I walkbehind 3-4 yards a day.
Have it and love it. Would buy another with out looking at different brands. Great cut and stripes nicely also. Pulls a proslide and never had any problems with it.

Mac

dwost
12-09-2004, 05:13 PM
LOVE mine as well. I purchased it new in 2002 and have had mimimal problems with it. The cut is beautiful and it's built like a tank. My dealer is great and I've spoken several times to the tech svc. department at Ariens and they have been nothing but fantastic to deal with. Will definitely look to them when I'm ready for a Z.

bettergrass
12-09-2004, 05:25 PM
love my walkbehind. mines a hydro 36. i suggest a hydro. i dont think i would ever go back to a belt drive.

as far as cut i have there striper on it and it works pretty good....ive scene better stripes by other lco's but im gonna buy a striper from cleancuts this winter to make that better.

ill be going to gravely in the spring for a ztr. love my dealer

spcfoor
12-09-2004, 06:07 PM
I have the 36" fixed deck with the pro-steer system. I love mine. I am 220lbs and with a 13 hp kawi. motor it pulls me just fine. I cuts like a champ with sharp blades and is pretty easy to maunever. I would buy another one in a moments notice but with the floating deck.