PDA

View Full Version : Bodily Injuries and Surgeries from the green industry..

impactlandscaping
12-08-2004, 11:59 PM
If you have been doing maintenance/ install / mowing work for any amount of time, you probably have some battle scars to show from it. So far, I have had three herniated discs, numerous lumbar sprains, bi-lateral carpal tunnel surgery, torn ligaments in both knees, and this winter I will be having knee surgery for a medial cruciate ligament repair. My aching knee got me thinking about this... :cry:

Dig,Yard,Dirt
12-09-2004, 12:20 AM
I've barrel rolled my 50" Yazoo 3 wheel mower twice, one 6 weeks ago. Now, I'm having problems lifting my right arm if its extended. They said I've torn my rotater cup. Need surgery now. :cry:

YardPro
12-09-2004, 12:24 AM
had alot of stitches. 120 form a slip with a hedge trimmer,
the rest were pruning related.
had a carb spring pop out and tear my sclera (surface of the eye). they had to glue it back on, and i had to wear a patch for two weeks.
that was fun though, it's the only time you can say aaarrrggg and act like a pirate without being gay.......

lawnranger44
12-09-2004, 12:31 AM
One time I was organizing equipment in the back of my truck and I lost balance and put my hand out to brace myself...and my hand landed on the muffler of our Exmark. Huge burn on my hand.
Another time was mowing around a mailbox, clipped edge of mailbox, and it tore into my finger.
My brother was mowing around a swing set, and a rope got wrapped around the one handle and squashed his hand. Nasty, bleeding like crazy.

impactlandscaping
12-09-2004, 12:37 AM
I remember back in the day when we got our first belt drive wb's. I caught my left hand against a tree and the pistol grip. I thought I broke every bone in my hand, but luckily it was just swollen and bruised.

the scaper
12-09-2004, 03:24 AM
I once heard about a guy who jumped of the back of a box truck and tried to grab the pull rope and slide the door down as he accended to the ground, well he missed the rope but his wedding ring got caught on it and stripped his finger to the bone. Ouch! As for landscaping , I have a real big injury that I refere to as a headache which will be coming to a relieving end as the season closes in about 12 days from now!!!! I cant think of a better way to get a headache though as the biz has been very good to me!

walker-talker
12-09-2004, 03:33 AM
30 some odd stitches in shoulder blade (15 inside and about the same outside) from pole saw. Couple pokes in the eye that put me out for the day, but returned within next couple days. 8 or so stitches in palm of hand from box knife.

walker-talker
12-09-2004, 03:35 AM
his wedding ring got caught on it and stripped his finger to the bone. Ouch! Yea....no rings here. I leave my wedding band at home and only wear it on weekends. I hate jewelery period, other than a watch.

the scaper
12-09-2004, 03:45 AM
ahh, heres one I almost forgot about.... Last year I was hitching up a tow behind aerator and stuck my hand between the frame and the tines as i was rolling it forward. well the next tine that came around peeled the skin off my knuckle and I had to go get 10 stitches. LOL !

the scaper
12-09-2004, 03:48 AM
Yea....no rings here. I leave my wedding band at home and only wear it on weekends. I hate jewelery period, other than a watch.
Same here!

bobbygedd
12-09-2004, 08:32 AM
bungee cord in testicle. it still doesn't feel right.

GarPA
12-09-2004, 08:54 AM
I worry most about the repetitive stress injuries like bilateral carpal tunnel as you mentioned. This kind of injury can permamently put some of us out of business which is why I make the young guys run the trimmers more and more.

GarPA
12-09-2004, 08:59 AM
bungee cord in testicle. it still doesn't feel right.

Sorry to hear you have only one....I knew there had to be some reason for your pleasant personality.... :)

Mo Green
12-09-2004, 09:42 AM
had alot of stitches. 120 form a slip with a hedge trimmer,
the rest were pruning related.
had a carb spring pop out and tear my sclera (surface of the eye). they had to glue it back on, and i had to wear a patch for two weeks.
that was fun though, it's the only time you can say aaarrrggg and act like a pirate without being gay.......

Wow! 120 stitches from a slip.... imagine if you had really cut yourself....LOL

I've had two hand surgeries to repair tendons that were sliced through with sheet metal. I did HVAC for 8 years before I was hired on the fire department.

turf hokie
12-09-2004, 09:54 AM
Was replacing a concrete parking space bumper after snow season. Slid out of the truck onto my leg, broke it and punctured skin to the bone. In the hospital for surgery, 5 days later I was released after rounds of antibiotics due to fever and possible bone infection. Sat on my couch for 3 mos going nuts with cast up to my hip.

Gave me good pain killers though.

DFW Area Landscaper
12-09-2004, 10:17 AM
Back surgery. Discectomy. L4, S5.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

blair smock
12-09-2004, 10:37 AM
2 out of 3 surgeries for nerve damage and tore rotator cup. Cut from shoulder to wrist. All a result of putting off surgery for tore rotator cup two years ago, kept pushing it. :cool2:
I was able to finish out last 3 months with cast and some help. Also bought John deere garden tractor and put a spin steer on it, (hey it got me through) Laser Z sat in storage. Never had so many comments from customers about working with a cast on. Final surgery is in January then 3 more months in cast. Work smart and hard and eventually it will pay off- :blob3: Ps, Rotator surgery do it when they tell you donít put it off!

tailoredlook
12-09-2004, 02:54 PM
Lit myself on fire fueling weedeater with lit ciggarette in my mouth. Does that count?

Rtom45
12-09-2004, 03:33 PM
Surgery for 2 herniated discs back in 1988, I fell out of a tree 10 years before that. Surgery was a last resort, I lived with back pain that whole time. I don't know of anyone in this business who hasn't had some kind of work related injury. One of our grounds crew has been out of work 3 months now with back problems. Another went out on disability last year with a bad back. Lawncare/landscaping is a young man's business. Old guys who stick around end up looking like old guys.

impactlandscaping
12-09-2004, 03:39 PM
...or feeling like old guys before you should. Gets harder each year to get out of bed after a large install :D

olderthandirt
12-09-2004, 03:41 PM
2 out of 3 surgeries for nerve damage and tore rotator cup. Cut from shoulder to wrist. All a result of putting off surgery for tore rotator cup two years ago, kept pushing it. :cool2:
I was able to finish out last 3 months with cast and some help. Also bought John deere garden tractor and put a spin steer on it, (hey it got me through) Laser Z sat in storage. Never had so many comments from customers about working with a cast on. Final surgery is in January then 3 more months in cast. Work smart and hard and eventually it will pay off- :blob3: Ps, Rotator surgery do it when they tell you donít put it off!
Dec. 14 on the right shoulder then Jan 19th fot the left. Should of had them done yrs ago BUT******

Mac

JCW-G
12-09-2004, 03:49 PM
it's the only time you can say aaarrrggg and act like a pirate without being gay...

YardPro,
It's always good to find humor in something that could have been serious. Good Attitude.

Mo Green
12-09-2004, 04:07 PM
Lit myself on fire fueling weedeater with lit ciggarette in my mouth. Does that count?

Hillarious.. I guess that's just one more reason to say smoking is bad for you...LOL

exmarkjockey
12-09-2004, 04:33 PM
OK, here goes, bicep tendonitis, hinge impingement, pinched nerve, soft tissue damage, arthritis, dislocations (that's just my right shoulder :rolleyes: ) I also believe I may have some signs of carpal tunnel. All this at the ripe old age of 28. At the rate I'm going I'll be in the nursing home by the time I'm 40 making mower noises as I roll around in my wheelchair :D

K c m
12-09-2004, 06:01 PM
took a spill down the steps and cought my right hip on the corner of the 1 step. I touched the bone. so i decided hay guys you can take the rest of the day off. :cool2: Came home and as i laid on my bed i decided to grab a needle and thread and sew the 3x2"cut up with a neosporan, fishing line and a pair of pliers :) . ON monday i took them out and put in new stitches.
Dont believe in doctors or medicines :waving:

HOOLIE
12-09-2004, 06:16 PM
Knock on wood, so far nothing requiring immediate medical attention.