PDA

View Full Version : Part-time skidloader job

jsch
12-09-2004, 12:51 AM
Hi, new to this site. I have always loved heavy equipment and I love operating skidsteers every chance I get, which isn't very often. I would like to find a part-time job that would allow me to follow my dreams and operate a skidsteer loader 2-3 days a week, eventually getting enough experience where I could start a part-time skidloader business.

I guess my questions is do landscape and/or excavating companies actually hire part-time operators. I would work for next to nothing or maybe even free. I need experience and want to run skidsteer loaders. That's my dream and passion. Sounds a little weird, doesn't it?

Any assistance anyone could give me would be great!

Randy Scott
12-09-2004, 07:54 AM
About one day on a skid-steer will you give you the basic knowledge to run one. From there out, you'll just become more efficient the more you run one.

No, I don't think any companies hire out a labor person to just run the skid-steer. That would be about as efficient as not even having a skid-steer.

Tigerotor77W
12-12-2004, 12:33 PM
I'm not in the business so my experience is very limited.

My thoughts are to get out and try one. Express some interest to a dealer about trying one out or renting one; most people don't get involved by buying the largest loader possible and start digging. Contract some jobs and rent a mid-sized loader for about a month; see how you like it. I'd recommend starting with a Cat loader as its probably the easiest to operate. Other thing to do is to ask a snowplow contractor about helping out over the winter -- granted the work load is quite high if you live in a heavy-snowfall area, but you'll get your experience very quickly.

DUSTYCEDAR
12-12-2004, 12:43 PM
go plow snow big contractors and even small 1's r always looking for help

Gravel Rat
12-12-2004, 04:41 PM
I don't think I could run a skid steer for 8 hrs a day I did a few jobs it sure beats the crap out of you. The machine I was running is a 763 Bobcat around the machine must be 10 years old or so. It had the foot pedals which does give you a work out plus you need good corordination. I always kept pulling on the stick in my right hand trying lift the bucket. When your used to running rubber tired backhoes or excavators (trackhoes) sticks in your hands controls the bucket functions. When I got out of the machine it felt like I got my ass kicked I was so stiff and sore. Maybe the newer machines are smoother and easier to work with and I guess you get used to it.

As for getting some experience I think working for a company that plows snow with a skid steer would be the best thing. You can't damage much and its a good way to get a feel for working in slippery conditions.