PDA

View Full Version : VIRUS E-MAILED

Guido
01-24-2001, 02:31 PM
PLEASE BEWARE!!!

If anyone here recieves an e-mail with an attatchment that starts off with a story that has something to do with snow White and the 7 dwarfs, DELETE IT!! My virus checker picked up a virus in it.

I don't like to point fingers, but I do believe it has something to do with one of the members here because I have both MSN and AOL screennames posted in my signature, and this is the only place I posted my hotmail account. Never did I put both together. I guess some people have more time on their hands than work, but thank God there not smarter than my virus checker!!

The address that it came from was: hahaha@sexyfun.net, but I wasn't able to reply back.

If anyone hears anything else about this I would love to know so please e-mail me.

Thank You in Advance!!

Administrator
01-24-2001, 02:35 PM
I received that email. But, I did not open the .exe file. I never open a .exe in a email from someone I dont know.

Maybe one of the member that know a little about internet security can help us with this one. ?? Maybe if you can get the header of the email we can track down this user. I am moving this to the commercial forum so it can be seen.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Chuck

Administrator
01-24-2001, 02:39 PM
This is NOT targetted at LawnSite.com

Please see this.. http://www.sexyfun.net/

Guido
01-24-2001, 02:40 PM
I thought it was just me that had a secret enemy from here.

Thanks a lot Chuck, I really appreciate it. Good thing I got the virus check because when I'm half asleep and my box is full I just start clicking. I guess I'll be a little more careful now.

powerreel
01-24-2001, 03:11 PM
MSN let that slip through their Hotmail? Or was it an ICQ file? Just curious...

Guido
01-24-2001, 03:22 PM
I don't know what Chuck got it through but I got it in my Hotmail and AOl accounts. Hotmail lets it go through but it warns you before it opens and gives you the chance to delete it before you open it. I don't think AOL does a check at all though, so its a good thing I saw the hotmail one first!!

thelawnguy
01-24-2001, 03:45 PM
I received the email 3 separate times. Didnt open it any of the times.

Trying to trace the header proved fruitless.

jaclawn
01-24-2001, 04:02 PM
Not from Lawnsite???

A friend was telling me about this exact same message last night. She got it yesterday(?)

This person has never even visited this site, so it is probally something widespred, and not unique to LS.

lakegastonla
01-24-2001, 04:11 PM
I got the message, too in my e-mail yesterday. Not many people have my e-mail address since I recently went to a cable connection. I did, however change it here in my profile. I doubt anyone here intentionally sent it to any of us, but if I am not mistaken, it sends itself to anyone you e-mail if you open it and acquire the virus.
So if it was picked up from a member here, it was probably a mistake.

PS Idid not open it because I had already heard of this one.

jaybee
01-24-2001, 04:32 PM
I recieved that e-mail 3 different times. I never open anything that has a sender that I never heard of. I just went to my deleted files and emptied them That message came 3 different weeks.

Eric ELM
01-24-2001, 04:36 PM
To make it easy on yourself, get the new Norton Antivirus which automatically scans each email that you get for a virus. I think this is one of the best ways to protect yourself. With all the email I get from members, I try to keep on top of this type of protection just in case it has been spread by some unknown person. Get the 2001 version, it's been out for a while.

I hope this helps.
Eric

FENNELL
01-24-2001, 05:09 PM
I got the 7 dwarves about 2 months ago, and did not have a virus checker at the time, ended up reformating the whole system. it attachs secretly and you would never know you had it.

Ricky
01-24-2001, 07:05 PM
I have received this 4 times so far! I have deleted it 3 times without opening it (it opened once on its own before I was aware I received it). It has an attachment that contains a virus. I have never opened the attachment. I have never had any ill effects.:)
I have received a e-mail about a virus that comes in regular mail.
It comes in a blue envelope from "The Klingerman Foundation".
This is supposed to contain a sponge in a plastic container.
DO NOT OPEN THIS. SEVEN PEOPLE ARE SUPPOSED TO HAVE DIED FROM SEVERE DYSENTERY!
I don't know if this is true but it doesn't hurt to pass it on.

bob
01-24-2001, 09:04 PM
I have an anti-viruse checker, but I also never open e-mails from strangers!

jaclawn
01-24-2001, 09:25 PM
I just talked with my friend that got it. When she went to restart her pc, she cannot get to her desktop. She only gets her wallpaper on her screen. She is not very computer friendly, so I didn't even try to see if I could do anything over the phone.

I am going to go over in the next few days and see if I can get anything to work. Any ideas???

jaybee
01-24-2001, 10:21 PM
I just got the Ha-Ha thing about 2 minutes ago for the fourth time this month. It is running rampant. Be careful

gusbuster
01-24-2001, 10:27 PM
NEVER open any kind of document, execution file no matter who it comes from.
Get yourself a good ant-virus program such as Norton anti-virus or Mcaffe anti-virus.
If you wish to see the document, create a directory just for saving attachments, run your virus checker on that directory.
A thing that people don't do often enough, run an update for your virus checking program. This way you will catch a problem before it becomes a problem.
Most of all, those of you who do accounting on your computer, always do back up of your data files on a daily basis and a monthyly system backup.
John

GroundKprs
01-25-2001, 01:16 AM
Ever wonder if your virus checker is really working? Want to show others on your computer how to handle an encounter with a virus? Run a virus drill, so those using your computer know how to handle it. No sense having a virus checker if someone clicks the wrong button when a virus is spotted, and infects your computer anyhow. Go to http://www.eicar.com/ and you can obtain the eicar.com test virus.

zipp669
01-25-2001, 01:55 AM
I got it also..1st time deleted it & it came back 2 times..i kinda thought that it may have come back automatically whan it was deleted..i wonder if that is where the hahaha comes in ...it might just resend it aoutomatically when deleted...anyway..i didnt get it through anything like hotmail or yahoo...just on my normal local email address
i also heard about that sponge thing & do what they say dont open it
jim

MOW ED
01-25-2001, 10:17 AM
I use I.E.v5.5 and if you do too you can go to Outlook Express - Tools - Message Rules - Blocked senders list and add that address to the list.

I recieved this also and blocked them. I also have a 20 second delay on opening e-mails so I can get these things deleted or blocked before opening.

powerreel
01-25-2001, 12:24 PM
Put yourself in your address book. This way if your computer is emailing viruses you will see emails from yourself and know what you got.

lawrence stone
01-25-2001, 05:32 PM
Stop using outhouse express. A virus attached to a VB script can reproduce in the "outhouse".

Hackers just love to write to outhouse for it comes free on windows based machines and can inflict the most damage to the most users at one time.

The best mail client past, present and future is called Pegasus Mail. It is freeware and is great for spamming future customers.

Here is a website on the whys and hows of this great program by Dakota State U. It will hold your hand and make that conversion from Microsoft as painless as possible.

http://www.support.dsu.edu/E-Mail/pegasus/default.htm

Eric ELM
01-25-2001, 06:24 PM
I just got 3 of them in a row, my Norton's is working, it caught them and put up a full screen warning not to open them since it contained a virus.
With all of this publicity on this, I would have caught it anyway, but at least now I know Norton Antivirus works.

thelawnguy
01-28-2001, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by lawrence stone
The best mail client past, present and future is called Pegasus Mail. It is freeware and is great for spamming future customers.

I downloaded and installed Pegasus yesterday. Its a very nice app, heads and shoulders above Outlook Express.

If anyone wants to dl this, get it from the Atlanta site not the Maine site, as the program from the Maine site does not include the setup (install) program and is near impossible to install.

lawman
01-28-2001, 02:42 PM
Thank you for the warning. I sent that one packing.