PDA

View Full Version : GPS System

macaw
12-09-2004, 09:40 AM
Just got a Garmin eTrex Legend from eXmark that I had won at the expo in Charlotte. Had no idea that I won this it showed up at my door yesterday. I don't know much about them or gps tracking so I got a new toy to play with on this rainy day in east TN

out4now
12-09-2004, 12:35 PM
I have a freind that takes his GPS when he goes Turkey hunting every year and loves it.

walker-talker
12-09-2004, 12:39 PM
I hitched a ride at the GIE from a guy (from the other forum) that had one in his truck connected to his laptop. He was running some kind of street maping program. It was awesome....it was showing him going down the street in real time. I sure that setup had to be expensive, but boy could it save some time when going out to give estimates. Also could be neat to link it to his home to track crews, if you wanted to do that.

grass_cuttin_fool
12-09-2004, 12:49 PM
I won one also Macaw, just came this morning. If you figure it out give me a buzz lol

walker-talker
12-09-2004, 12:53 PM
No way...I am going to have to check my mailbox...lol Hey, I won a remote controlled Escalade if one of you guys want to trade????

grass_cuttin_fool
12-09-2004, 01:03 PM
Only way I knew it was another guy had some pictures of the board with the winners names on it and Mine was the 1st name drawn on Sat. I was there for friday only

out4now
12-09-2004, 01:04 PM
I hitched a ride at the GIE from a guy (from the other forum) that had one in his truck connected to his laptop. He was running some kind of street maping program. It was awesome....it was showing him going down the street in real time. I sure that setup had to be expensive, but boy could it save some time when going out to give estimates. Also could be neat to link it to his home to track crews, if you wanted to do that.

There's a few companies that offer those now. I think Garmin does now too. It's old technology really. Truckers use it all the time in tracking. Qualcom is thier big communication device. If by yourself though you have to take your eyes off the road. The next generation is going to work like the military's hellicopters where you can see the display on the windsheild as you drive. Amazing the stuff they come up with huh? UPS and Fed Ex will most likely be the first comapnies that get that new technology as it comes to market as they need it the worst.

sdwally
12-09-2004, 05:47 PM
Once you figure out the basics, try www.geocaching.com . Fun for whole family, especially kids.