PDA

View Full Version : you screwed up badly on the quote.....

bobbygedd
12-09-2004, 02:13 PM
this happened to me, many yrs ago. it wasn't the first time, it wasn't the last, but it came to mind. i quoted a leaf job at $90. yup, i drove by, looked, didn't see that much leaves, and called her back with a $90 quote. she said go for it. so, the next day, i did. HOLY CRAP, what i didn't see, and wasn't able to see from the driveby the day before, was the rest of the yard. an odd shaped property, blocked by the position of the house.....the yard was about 4 times the size i anticipated, and now i know where all the leaves were, they were on the side i couldn't see from the road. ok, now what? take the hit? tell her you need more money? hop in the truck and haul butt? can u benefit either way? is it a lose lose?

Lawn-Scapes
12-09-2004, 02:22 PM
Did you try the search feature? I believe this has been discussed before.. BY YOU! :D

I wouldn't do it. I'd call and admit my mistake.

BryPaulD
12-09-2004, 02:24 PM
yeah, what he said, or call one of those kids or whomever that really would do it that cheap or cheaper and make money. :D

pgiambat
12-09-2004, 02:26 PM
I've had those shoes on before. Do the job and stew about it the whole time and do the best leaf pick up that's ever been done and let it be a lesson. Better to bid high and tell them later that the total is less. I've got a cut that takes me 9 minutes from the time I shut my truck off till I'm driving away and I get $35. Then I go right to a showcase yard that takes 45 minutes where I get $30. Good luck.

Runner
12-09-2004, 02:41 PM
I think we've all done at some time,...in one way, shape or form. I know it's happened to me - where I had underbid due to more work being there than I thought. This is for instance> why when I do an initial edging job, I will c=ut back the sod in a few different places to see just exactly how much it is grown over. It can be decieving and what looks like a relatively maintained walk, can really have 5 or 6 inches of overgrowth on each side. This type of edging job is in a whole diferent calibur, then. Anyway, there are many different scenarios where this can happen. Don't feel too bad...it could have been worse, and atleast you know now to walk the property and communicate with the customer as to their expectations.

bobbygedd
12-09-2004, 02:45 PM
holy moly!!! no no no no, i'm simply askin if you should do the job at your quoted price, talk to her and up the quote, or run like hell. and, why

Lawn-Scapes
12-09-2004, 02:48 PM
Did you try the search feature? I believe this has been discussed before.. BY YOU! :D

I wouldn't do it. I'd call and admit my mistake.

Here's the why part... because I would have no problem admitting I made a mistake.

YardPro
12-09-2004, 03:23 PM
the professional thing to do is to contact her, explain things just how you explained them to us. be honest with the client.
tell her when you quoted the price you had not sees all the work to be done..

just make sure you do it BEFORE you start the work.

Norm Al
12-09-2004, 03:29 PM
i say just crack her over the head with a shovel!

lpwhandyman
12-09-2004, 03:36 PM
I really need to start carrying a shovel....Everyone seems to want to carry one lately...haha :D But then again, they probably wouldn't let me carry one to the back of the bus.

JCW-G
12-09-2004, 04:05 PM
Is it your standard procedure to give a quote by just a "DRIVE BY", Or did she ask you to give a price using that method?
Since you were too lazy to get out of the vehicle and look at the job like the "professional" you are, you should stay with the price you initially give.

chevyman1
12-09-2004, 04:14 PM
sounds to me like karma bobby....all those stories and treating people like garbage came back to bite you for a change. I hope you have to do the job for free! :waving:

bobbygedd
12-09-2004, 04:35 PM
i see how well you guys read. if you were paying attention (or, is it hard to see....from the back of the bus) this happened years ago. and remember , I DON'T have to do anything that i don't want to

JCW-G
12-09-2004, 05:02 PM
i see how well you guys read. if you were paying attention (or, is it hard to see....from the back of the bus) this happened years ago. and remember , I DON'T have to do anything that i don't want to

I was paying attention,and my response is the same no matter if it happened fifty years ago or yesterday. Maybe I should have worded it in past tense so you wouldn't have had such a fit. If you DON'T have to do anything you don't want to, fine. The responses people give are just opinions. If you think that people are TELLING you what to do, you need some mental help. I thought this site was to exchange ideas,experiances,give advice,etc.

rodfather
12-09-2004, 05:03 PM
If my memory serves me well, you didn't take the time to get out of your truck and walk the property...so be it.

My answer to your situation is to say to her, "ma'am, I made the mistake of not walking your property when estimating your leaf cleanup. It was pouring rain when I drove by and thought I could tell by just looking out the window. I was wrong and I am extremely sorry for that. Unfortunately after seeing the back of your property, it's evident the bulk of the leaves are there and not in the front that I viewed. If you would like for us to take care of your leaves, we would be pleased to remove them for X dollars."

That is how I would approach her.

JCW-G
12-09-2004, 05:26 PM
That's a great excuse to use but,Bobby didn't say it was raining. Lets just say it wasn't raining,and hadn't rained in a week or so. Do you wait to use that excuse until after it rains so it's more believeable.

Cheesedawg1
12-09-2004, 05:32 PM
If its a one time thing from an ad your running dont take the hit. Explain to her just like rodfather stated and adjust the price.

rodfather
12-09-2004, 05:33 PM
Do you wait to use that excuse until after it rains so it's more believeable.

Absolutely not.

I just apologize and say we made the mistake of not walking the property and didn't realize the depth and amount of leaves in the backyard.

YardPro
12-09-2004, 05:41 PM
i totally agree with rodfather
be honest with people.
it will get alot further.

and as far as the "it happened years ago..

that sounds like " well i have this "friend" and "they" have a problem......"

rodfather
12-09-2004, 06:06 PM
[QUOTE=YardPro]and as far as the "it happened years ago..

Actually, I remember bobby and I talking about it one day IM'ing on AOL when we first got to know one another...myst be like 4 years or more by now I think.

Tobruk79
12-09-2004, 06:16 PM
I have to ask (since Im just starting out), do you guys drop the price when you overbid? If not then it seems unfair to me to raise a price after you've given it.

HOOLIE
12-09-2004, 06:20 PM
No you wouldn't drop the price on an overbid, at least I wouldn't. As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't feel bound by a casual drive-by phone call estimate. I'd just tell 'em I misjudged the property. Or better yet, don't show up, disconnect the phone, lock the doors and turn the lights off...

bobbygedd
12-09-2004, 06:28 PM
yardpro is just looking for a fight, as usual. yes, it was quite awhile back. what i did, like an idiot, i just did the job for the original price, and i'm sorry i did. i'd have much better off to knock on the door and tell her i goofed, and the revised price is xxx, take it or leave it

YardPro
12-09-2004, 06:39 PM
i'm not looking for a fight bobby.
that was said with a wink, in jest. there are no smiley options on the quick reply.

you are being much more civil today. it's refreshing. I think i can get along with the new and improved bobby.

YardPro
12-09-2004, 06:41 PM
I have to ask (since Im just starting out), do you guys drop the price when you overbid? If not then it seems unfair to me to raise a price after you've given it.

we have in the past.
quote really high and come in "under budget".
you'll have customers singing your praises.

bobbygedd
12-09-2004, 06:45 PM
i'm not looking for a fight bobby.
that was said with a wink, in jest. there are no smiley options on the quick reply.

you are being much more civil today. it's refreshing. I think i can get along with the new and improved bobby.
my "renewed " behavior is at the request of mr. addams, if i had it my way i wouldn't be so polite. your problem is, no matter what i say, you'll twist it and turn it, and get the other 2000 monkeys to join in, and you'll all bash me. no problem though. the fact remains, in the latest poll, "who would you like to hang out with", i got like 50 votes, you got none. the numbers don't lie

cward
12-09-2004, 06:45 PM
Bobby,
You just gave her a bid not a contractual agreement. You were free to do whatever you wanted. I would have stuck to my bid. My word is my honor. Ya win some and you lose some.

Norm Al
12-09-2004, 06:51 PM
this thread is a classic!
http://www.ipipe.com/images/grimmy2.jpg

bobbygedd
12-09-2004, 06:55 PM
Bobby,
You just gave her a bid not a contractual agreement. You were free to do whatever you wanted. I would have stuck to my bid. My word is my honor. Ya win some and you lose some.
well, i don't know what to say other than working for free is idiotic. yup, i made a mistake, by not being more thorough in my estimating, my second mistake, was doing the job. but, that was long ago, we all made mistakes. now, i have all this, yup, my wine, my cheese, and 24,999 lawnboys attacking me on a daily basis. who could ask for more?

launboy
12-09-2004, 07:07 PM
Monkeys? you're the biggest monkey on the page, with your poll on who wants to hang out with you. What is this a high school or a professional lawn care site.

YardPro
12-09-2004, 07:22 PM
he's still stuck in the high school mentality

popularity contests?
that mattered when i was 15 years old.
My nice house, Boat, the yearly trips to vail, colorado, etc. that's what matters to me now.
making sure I have to the income so that my wife can stay home with my kid, and still have plenty of money , so i don't have to post threads asking how do do just that are important to me now.

bobby's just jealous.

bobbygedd
12-09-2004, 07:26 PM
yup, i got all that, AND MORE VOTES THAN YOU. no, wait, in order to have MORE VOTES, it would mean that you got at least ONE VOTE, but you didn't. :sleeping:

YardPro
12-09-2004, 07:35 PM
see here you go again turning a thread into a shouting match.
does sean need to send you another reprimanding email??

i am here to help people with thier business. that's it. i don't post the info i do to brag, or self glorify, i post it so people can use the information to make decisions.

once again to cannot sustain an intellectual argument and rsort to "you're a dodo head" middle school mentality.

we hused to have those "popularity polls" in 6th grade right after we got out of the notes that said " i like you do you like me, check yes or no."

Lux Lawn
12-09-2004, 07:38 PM
Kind of a tough one not sure what I would do I might just suck it up and do it at the price depending how bad it really is.Without seeing it, it makes it hard to say.

bobbygedd
12-09-2004, 07:41 PM
see here you go again turning a thread into a shouting match.
does sean need to send you another reprimanding email??

i am here to help people with thier business. that's it. i don't post the info i do to brag, or self glorify, i post it so people can use the information to make decisions.

once again to cannot sustain an intellectual argument and rsort to "you're a dodo head" middle school mentality.

we hused to have those "popularity polls" in 6th grade right after we got out of the notes that said " i like you do you like me, check yes or no."
so then, you are calling sean a 6th grader? btw, how many "no" votes did you get? my guess, enough to wallpaper the gymnasium with

YardPro
12-09-2004, 07:45 PM
bobby i am sure the only reason you are kept around is for entertainment purposes.
you keep people coming here to see what sort of crap you will start. Just like a crowd gathering around a fight.

i think you contribute greatly to the popularity of this site.
you're crap flinging ape that people come to see.

bobbygedd
12-09-2004, 07:48 PM
MODERATOR, MODERATOR, MODERATOR!!!!!!!! "crap flingin ape"????? i demand someone discipline this man, some of us are here to learn, and drink, but not be abused

bobbygedd
12-09-2004, 07:56 PM
and by the way, he keeps me here because , unlike you, he obviously recognises my talents

BryPaulD
12-09-2004, 08:13 PM
yeah, I'm here to drink. :D

lawnman_scott
12-09-2004, 08:20 PM
Yes. Absolutly you return money if you overbid, its all about fairness, and everyone is fair.

bobbygedd
12-09-2004, 08:23 PM
wait a minute, how do you mean, "overbid", give me an example of an "overbid"

richard coffman
12-09-2004, 11:05 PM
Mmm,

Well, if i gave a customer a bid, I'd keep it no matter what. I would have been the one who didn't do there homework. When i do an estimate, I'll go to the customer and walk around the property with them, pointing things out if needed. I"m fare with my bidding, but if a customer can't afford it, we then talk about payment options to make it not such a hard hit on them. we all live and learn, just part of the game. BobbyGedd, no matter what, you're still ok in my book. and that goes for you too YardPro.........We're all professionals, solo's or not, we all make a difference here. just my 2 cents.

Respectfully,

Richard/Owner :D :D :D :D :D

Kelly's Landscaping
12-10-2004, 01:04 AM
Everyone has misquoted clean ups and they can sting like hell my first 2 last year were like that. I was right on the money on time to clean out the beds and ivy but some how did not quite take into consideration how long It would take a virgin crew to load a truck. That hurt and I was into the job before I realized we had screwed up. Now if I found I had missed a large part of the job before I started I would call it off why lose money. But it would have to be a real big screw up because when you add in drive time and loading and unloading the trucks that cost you money as well. Worse is the lawn cut you misquoted and are stuck with. They feel you are expensive while you know it cost you money to cut their lawn.

TotalLawnConcepts
12-10-2004, 05:01 PM
A man is only as good as his word. If you said you would do it for $90 get your blower out and go to town, whether you win or loose on the job is irrelivent. Now when I finished the job, I would let the customer know that I did make a mistake on bidding the job, but wouldn't charge her another penny over $90. Second, it is your fault for not inspecting the job completely before giving a bid, if you where working with me and had a crazy bid like that just because you did a Drive by!!! You would be out there by yourself doing the clean all alone with a rake and bunch of trash bags, this would insure that next time you would walk the property before bidding it. At least you learned a vaulable lesson, check everything before bidding it.

bobbygedd
12-10-2004, 05:40 PM
i strongly disagree. i gained nothing by doing that job. and i can think, right off of the top of my head where 2 businesses quoted me the wrong price, and then adjusted it to correct the mistake. not one was willing to "honor thier word." the first one, was home depot. a customer of mine asked if i could pickup, and assemble a rubbermaid garbage can holder receptacle. ok, i went to home depot, and asked the associate for a price on "that receptacle" (as i'm pointing to it). he comes back and says it's $99. ok, so i quote the client $180. when i was ready to do the job, (i was doing other things for him as well) i went to pick up the product, and it rang up $199. i grabbed the guy, brought him to the register, and he said he did in fact misquote the product. guess what? i paid $199! and my client paid for the product, plus $75 for my labor. another time was a hotel at the shore for a mini vacation. they quoted me xx for the room, for 3 nights. on the same day, when i got there, they said they made a mistake. it's xxx, want it or not. "your word" only counts in things not involving business. when you give an estimate, it has nothing to do with "your word". it's a business transaction. if you are fortunate enough to realize you made a mistake before you're halfway into the job, then you adjust accordingly. if it's a no sell, it's a no sell, just move on.