PDA

View Full Version : Employee meetings

pjslawncare/landscap
12-09-2004, 03:29 PM
How often do you have them? Its important to have a time & place to communicate with your workers and discuss any problems, concerns and/or resolutions you and they may have, but how often is often enough? once a day, once a week, once a month, never.

bobbygedd
12-09-2004, 03:33 PM
at my first printing job, we had them every friday. i found them very rewarding, and quite motivating. it also gave me the impression that the boss was genuinly concerned about what was going on, and how we felt about. so, i'd say once a week.

olderthandirt
12-09-2004, 04:01 PM
I work with the guys if somethings on there mind they let me know. Then its back to work, I ain't there momma or there therapist.

Mac

Mo Green
12-09-2004, 04:05 PM
at my first printing job, we had them every friday. i found them very rewarding, and quite motivating. it also gave me the impression that the boss was genuinly concerned about what was going on, and how we felt about. so, i'd say once a week.

Same here. When I worked at an HVAC company, we had one each week too.

JCW-G
12-09-2004, 04:19 PM
At the end of pay-day each week.

out4now
12-09-2004, 04:22 PM
We had one every day but they were very short usually. No longer than 15 minutes most of the time.

CamLand
12-09-2004, 06:20 PM
7:30 am Everyday that we are working...

YardPro
12-09-2004, 06:25 PM
we do it every day.
i collect the previous day's work orders, do any schedule reshuffeling, and review the day's workload with my guys.
we breifely bs, and i ask about any problems, and tell them to have an awesome day, and send 'em on thier way.

lawnman_scott
12-09-2004, 08:13 PM
I think they are a total waste of time, just like saftey meetings, and i dont think that Bobbys boss cared, it was just show for the meeting.

YardPro
12-09-2004, 08:16 PM
you have to keep in communication with your employees.

Wolfie's L&L
12-09-2004, 09:42 PM
We have them once every month. Our new manager that we got about 2 months ago came up with this idea, and I think it's a pretty good one. It lets everyone (about 12 of us) get together on a Saturday morning, have donuts and coffee, and discuss things job-related such as scheduling conflicts, new sale opportunities, and other things that need to be discussed. I think its a great idea.

Jason

Mo Green
12-09-2004, 11:10 PM
Your employees treat the customers the way you treat your employees.

from an article in Lawn and Landscape.

lawnman_scott
12-09-2004, 11:50 PM
We have them once every month. Our new manager that we got about 2 months ago came up with this idea, and I think it's a pretty good one. It lets everyone (about 12 of us) get together on a Saturday morning, have donuts and coffee, and discuss things job-related such as scheduling conflicts, new sale opportunities, and other things that need to be discussed. I think its a great idea.

Jason
Do you know how they really feel about the meetings? I used to work for a major beverage distributor and there was a major disagreement on saturday work and start time, well we had a union contract and won the battle. So they came up with sat morning meetings that lasted as long as they wanted to keep us there, so they won the war. What are the chances of a employee telling the "new manager" that they kind of want to get done early on saturday, and his meeting is a useless waste of their weekend?

Wolfie's L&L
12-10-2004, 09:44 PM
We normally have the majority of our employees working on Saturdays, so it is a pretty convienent time. The rest seem to have no problem getting paid for a half hour or so of a Saturday morning. We all give input on the subject, and everyone seems to enjoy being "in the know"

So lawnman scott, you may think that meetings are "a waste of time", but our employees think its a good idea.

Jason

lawnman_scott
12-10-2004, 09:53 PM
Im just saying that in some cases no one wants to say this is bs, sitting here sat morning listening to this crap. But if thats not the case, good.

Wolfie's L&L
12-10-2004, 09:59 PM
So far, we've only had 2 meetings. But I hope it never gets that way! And I hope no one would say "I dont want to listen to this crap" because its not "crap", its important information that our employees need to know to better do their jobs.

Jason

bobbygedd
12-10-2004, 10:49 PM
like i said, when i was an employee, the meetings were important to me. it was usually a ***** session, but it showed the management at least would spend the time to hear it

pjslawncare/landscap
12-10-2004, 11:11 PM
Different employees may take it in different "frame of minds". Communication is one of the keys to success. A general worker with good ethics would gain almost as much as the crew leaders and owner. One thing for sure is the upper management can observe many things from the discussions held and it seems only to benefit conditions we all work around. The gw's that take it as "crap" may not be the best to keep on.

AEW
12-11-2004, 12:38 AM
Definitly every morning we work we sit around for at least ten or fifteen minutes b/s ing and making sure everyone knows whats up for the day. Keep any employees you have close enough to feel important...all good things :cool2:

HOOLIE
12-11-2004, 12:48 AM
My old boss used to have the little 7am pep talk each morning before the crews left...then he came to the realization that NONE OF THEM UNDERSTOOD ENGLISH, so the meetings kinda petered out. Well, alright, a few of them understood English.