PDA

View Full Version : Help From Business Attorney?

Husky03
12-09-2004, 05:43 PM
I have tryed to get the help I need on these boards, but everyone recomends talking to accountants and attorneys. I got in the phone book and I have been calling business attorneys. I was hoping the attorney could help me with all of my concerns including taxes so I don't have to pay two different people. I talked to about six different attorneys and they all charge around $200 an hour for me to go sit down and talk with them. I do not mind paying this, but I have a serious concern. Many people I have talked to have told me I will NOT be able to start an official business at the age of 16. I do not want to go pay $200 an hour just to be told I am not able to run an official business until I am 18 and I am wasting my time. What should I do? Should I call the attorney I found the most helpful over the phone and run this by him and se what he says?

Thanks... :help:

HOOLIE
12-09-2004, 06:27 PM
You might first want to call the county clerk's office, they might know the answer (hopefully) to whether or not you can legally own a business. If not, maybe call a lawyer, set up a meeting, and throw in "did I mention I'm only 16?".

Taxes and legal issues are complicated and vary from state to state, that's why LawnSite is really not the place to find answers to specific questions of these nature. Not that we don't like to help.

out4now
12-09-2004, 06:28 PM
That's a tough spot. Are you trying to incorporate? Contact your local corporation commission first and see what they have to say and if they have nothing good you can use ask for some contacts they suggest. Your state laws may prevent you from doing what you want to. Do you have a supportive parent that can take the lead until you reach 18 or 21? There should be some sort of business handbook availabel from somewhere that can outline all the regulations. Try all your state websites including the chamber of commerce and check out the links they offer. The info is out there, I'm sure, just gotta dig for it a bit. The problem with talking to only a lawyer or only an accountant is you're getting specialized info. You really need them both because the lawyer no doubt has someone to do his taxes and wouldn't be as up on the tax structure as an accountant. Do you know any lwyers or accountants through family or freinds that might be able to help for free? You have plenty of time so don't sweat it.

twins_lawn_care
12-10-2004, 09:48 AM
Lots of local coomunity colleges have free planning centers for businesses and people starting out thinking about starting a business. check with your local one to see if they offer this service, as they'll be a great help. you don't have to be enrolled there, they just use it as a headquarters, as lots of college students are looking at what to do with their lives, you're just ahead of the game! good luck

MMLawn
12-10-2004, 04:22 PM
I do not mind paying this, but I have a serious concern. Many people I have talked to have told me I will NOT be able to start an official business at the age of 16. I do not want to go pay $200 an hour just to be told I am not able to run an official business until I am 18 and I am wasting my time. What should I do? Should I call the attorney I found the most helpful over the phone and run this by him and se what he says?

Thanks... :help:

You CANNOT own a business at 16 in your State and I tried to help you and posted YOUR and the other 49 States Law on it here on LS even. One last time before you waste any money YOU CANNOT AT 16 IN YOUR STATE LEGALLY OWN A BUSINESS AT ALL so don't waste that money. Also as someone mentioned call them back and tell the lawyer you are 16 and you will see how fast that will change things...he will hand up or suggest your parents...unless he his only after your $200 to tell you that or what we have.

You have 2 choices as I see it. 1) Get all business dealings done in and by your parents name(s) 2) wait until you are 18. But even at 18 something as simple as opening a Business Banking Account will prove difficult as they will run a credit and chexsystem check on both you and the business and at 18 they may pass on you.

Good luck.