PDA

View Full Version : Irrigation Check List Form?

dhess
12-10-2004, 12:26 AM
I'm in the process of drafting up an irrigation check list form that we can use out in the field when we are checking irrigation systems.

Does anyone have such a beast already made that you wouldn't mind sharing?

Basically I want to create an irrigation checklist/estimate sheet that we can use on the site while we are checking the systems. This list will probably contain a list of stuff that is commonly needed to fix most systems that could be check off along with other documenation about where heads need to be replaced, cleaned, broke, how many zones, stations, time settings ect. Maybe even an area graphed off for drawings.

I'm hoping to come up with something that will help document our work better plus if someone else needs to goto the job site for the repair that didn't do the first initial check they will have some documention to look over that might help.

This would also be handy if actual irrigation repair is not done right after the initial check.

Also, I'm also curious what type of system some of you other guys do when checking a large system? Do you use various colored flags to mark off heads if they need to be replaced, cleaned, broke, ect? Do you document your initial check during the check or after your done?

thanks,
David H.

AssuredServicesCo
12-11-2004, 12:01 AM
Are you a licensed irrigator? If you supply me with your license number I can put you directly in touch with the author and teacher for the State program who can answer your questions. If you are not maybe you should consider becoming licensed. There's too many yahoo's out there trying to do irrigation who are not licensed and not qualified. Rock On.

irrig8r
12-15-2004, 10:08 PM
They license irrigators there in Texas? I wish they did here in Califorrnia. Or at least required some kind of third party certification.

Too much cheap competition and little or no enforcement from the Contractors Licensing Board.

As a licensed landscape contractor I'm able to install irrigation, low voltage lighting, and install most hardscape except for swimming pools and spas (which I can apparently hire a subcontractor to do but not advertise for according to the new regs.)

Technically a plumbing permit is called for in most municipalities, but it's enforced so little I've been laughed out of the inspector's department a couple of times. I've pointed out code violations to homeowners regarding improper installation or lack of backflow prevention devices. A few go for upgrades, but most don't seem to care.but a lot don't care. Which device is accepted depends on the water purveyor, sometimes a municipality, sometimes a private company. Residential irrigation compliance is low on their list compared to commercial developments.

As a licensed landscape contractor (C-27) I'm able to install irrigation, low voltage lighting, and install most hardscape except for swimming pools and spas (which I can apparently hire a subcontractor to do but not advertise for according to the new regs.)

ed2hess
12-21-2004, 07:49 PM
Are you a licensed irrigator? If you supply me with your license number I can put you directly in touch with the author and teacher for the State program who can answer your questions. If you are not maybe you should consider becoming licensed. There's too many yahoo's out there trying to do irrigation who are not licensed and not qualified. Rock On.

Maybe you can help me.. you think I need a liscense to do sprinkler checks? We do that as part of our normal lawn business. And we are not looking for a teacher but we are asking if the industry has any standard forms. And we aren't yahoo's I am a Mechanical Engineer!

Mdirrigation
12-21-2004, 08:48 PM
The only standards in irrigation are the lack of standards. Its unfortunate , but it does guarentee that repairs and upgrades will always exist.

jerryrwm
12-22-2004, 01:33 AM
Maybe you can help me.. you think I need a liscense to do sprinkler checks? We do that as part of our normal lawn business. And we are not looking for a teacher but we are asking if the industry has any standard forms. And we aren't yahoo's I am a Mechanical Engineer!

To answer your questions.

1. In Texas you MUST have an irrigation license to design, sell, install, or repair any kind of landscape irrigation system. Technically speaking if you mow a head off you cannot legally replace the head if it is not on your property. You can operate the system, but not work on it.

2. There are standards for installation of irrigation systems in Texas. There are requirements for precipitation rates based on the area of the state. (There are four precipitation rate zones in Texas). There are requirements for wire sizing, head spacing (do not exceed manufacturer's recommended spacing) as well as requirements for backflow device installation. The problem is that there is not enough enforcement of the rules and regulations.

3. There are no real standardized forms for irrigation checks, repairs, estimates, etc. Most irrigators use whatever they feel will get the job done. I use a modification of a couple of forms that were compiled by a number of irrigation technicians. One is a walk-thru sheet that allows me to make the necessary notes as I check out the system. I take the form and a can of marking paint and follow the system. The other form is a repair estimate form that I submit to the customer for approval. And the last is a repair record form that I submit with the invoice that describes what was actually done. If you would like a copy of the forms drop me an email. They are in Excel format.

I would strongly suggest that you consider obtaining an irrigation license if you are going to offer this service to your customers. Without a license in Texas you cannot even advertise irrigation services in the phone book, newspaper, etc. There are local irrigation associations around the state and most supply houses can put you in contact with the members.

You should also go to the TECQ website for more information concerning the Texas Irrigators Law.

Hope this helps,

Jerry Rasmussen
Tx Lic Irrigator #1452

Just noticed that you are from the Austin area. Contact Gene Reagan at TECQ for further information. Also you can contact Joe Key, Johnnie Madison, or Hugh Rushing concerning the local association. Also contact Lynn Chaumont at the City of Austin Landscape Codes Department.

Garth
12-22-2004, 05:57 PM
Thank you for showing everyone that orthography IS important!!!-Garth MacG

jerryrwm
12-22-2004, 09:21 PM
Thank you for showing everyone that orthography IS important!!!-Garth MacG

?????? What does that have to do with the question at hand?

Garth
12-23-2004, 11:37 AM
Absolutely nothing. It was just nice seeing someone in Texas that could actually spell. And you didn't use "y'all" once!

Critical Care
12-24-2004, 03:45 PM
Texas woes! What’s this about requirements for precip rates based on areas within the state? And Jerry, you said requirements, not recommendations, for head spacing and wire sizing as well? This is Texas law, eh?

Oh… and Jerry, I’d be interested to see what the Excel forms look like that you’re using for your irrigation work. I have a fairly detailed system for my grounds maintenance work, but nothing dedicated just for irrigation. As they say though… never too late to learn new tricks. Thanks,

Bruce
criticalcarelandscape@bendcable.com

kobisk
01-09-2005, 04:15 PM
I have a quick question for the Texas contractors. I have a brother-in-law in Corpus Christie. He was wondering if we can help him out with installing a system on his property. My father-in-law and I have a company in KS we have been doing irrigation work for about 7 years combined. We also do lawn maintenance (including fertilizer). We have done some hardscape work as well. We are licensed and insured, and try our best to do everything on the "up and up". I was wondering if we can assist my brother in law with installing his irrigation system, or if he needs to have a texas licensed contractor help do the install?
I appreciate and look forward to your input.

aquamtic
01-09-2005, 07:35 PM
I would think that if you go and just install it at no profit and not as a contractor you should be fine. Can hoemownes in his area just install or do they need a licensed contractor?? This is what you need to find out.

SWD
01-10-2005, 07:39 AM
The state of Texas will allow at this time for family member installed systems. Be forwarned that this is not going to last. The state is in the act of passing additional restrictions concerning irrigation systems. Once that happens, no more homeowner installs. They can service their own with-in certain limits. Also to scale as builts, displaying an embossed seal of the designer (kind of like a notary seal), additional warranties, it just becomes worse and worse.
The enforcement structure has changed, mandatory fines, starting at $2,500 per violation per location. What this means is in Texas, an unlicensed irrigator goes to check a system, then starts replacing heads, no license then the fines start per head you have changed.
The inspectors, some of whom I know, told me unlicensed irrigators are easy to find as there are so many of them.
ed2hess - I wouldn't get caught doing what you are doing. Due to not having a license, if TCEQ receives a complaint about you, you may never be able to acquire a license. The inspectors have told me that proof of unlicensed irrigation work is as simple as a small bit of pipe and one or two heads in the truck. Take the four day class, take the test, get the license and expand your business. If you want,pm me and we can talk some more.

dhess
01-17-2005, 04:07 PM
Please lets keep this thread on topic instead of turning it into a *you better have an irrigators license* thread. I am working on that part of our business, but I do appreciate the heads up from you licensed irrigators.

Does anyone have any paperwork they would like to share or some ideas on how you document sprinkler work while your on the job site?

I want to get an idea on how other people go about checking systems and the ways you document your work.

For example...

Lets say you have a 30 station property you need to check for problems. How do you guys go about documenting the actual estimate while your doing the test or do you? What kind of stuff do you document and how?

I know our system consists of using a printed out excel spreadsheet that has columns for each station with rows for items like: lower head, broken line, clogged, missing head, blocked head, break, ect along with space for notes.

So we run our test on the system set it for 2-3 mins and grab the excel spreadsheet, flags, and pencil...and head to station one.

Lets say station one has 2 heads clogged with 1 break near a pool we would check off 2 heads clogged on that column with 1 marked on the broken section and maybe a note "break next to pool" ect and then mark each clogged head with a pink flag and the break with blue flag.

then move on to next station...

After all the stations are checked we can re-enter the data into our spreadsheet and it will tally up the totals for all the work needed to be done and we can then calculate the estimate price ect.

Now after the flags are marked and paper work is done the estimate has to approved. Lets say it takes 1-2 weeks before it clears. In the meantime flags may be moved on the property or other problems might develop in the meantime so when you return without those notes its difficult to remember what might be needed to be done without having to recheck the system.

So lets say we return in 1-2 weeks and the jobs good to go. We can look at our paperwork and say "station 1...next to pool, 2 cloggs and repair work" grab the shovel, nozzles, bag, ect and head to the pool area.

then we proceed to the next station ect.

We typically try to use unique colors for certain type of work to be performed. We've also thought about using or marking flags with numbers so that could be documented as well. This would help immensely when returning to the job site so that you could easily determine right away "#22 was clogged, #15 needs a 15sst nozzle, ect..." based on the paperwork.

I'm just curious to hear how others might go about documenting your work before the jobs taken care of and how far you go in the documentation?

thanks again,
dhess

Critical Care
01-17-2005, 09:24 PM
The method that I use is really simple. I just tell my wife to write everything down.