PDA

View Full Version : Echo Pro Attachment series

GrassMasterNC
12-10-2004, 09:46 AM
I love my Echo line trimmer and edger and probably will never (never say never, right?) change - I think they are much better than some products, and equal to many others - I prefer them because of their dependability and productivity, but moreso because of their simplicity, ergonomic and comfort features, and dealer support. Any product that gives you a warm and fuzzy like that is the one you should go with - everyone on here has their own opinion about gear and sooner or later you will find out for yourself whether you like it or not - which is half the fun of this business! (trying and buying)

With that said, I am looking very closely at the Echo Pro Attachment Series. Wow! I am very excited about trying them out - I had a troy-bilt combo trimmer/edger from Lowes when I first started and although a bit awkward, believe it or not, it was very reliable with the 30 yards a week it was doing before swithing over to Echo's. (I still have it as a back up in the garage though) and the interchanging and beatings the troy-bilt took are encouraging, being that I hold the Echo to a higher standard.

Have any of you tried this out and how did you like it? I am exctied about the increased options and availability of equipment, and especially happy with the monetary value of the attachements vs. actual price of different gear for each job -but like anyone else, concerned with the "crash worthiness" and durability as compared with the actual whole gear.

So, I am soliciting your experience with this line of echo products and eagerly await any suggestions, comments, or information about it that I may not have thought of or heard of yet...Thanks! I Appreciate it and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Matt

Travis Followell
12-10-2004, 07:22 PM
The only negative thing i've heard about these is if it breaks down your out all your machines instead of just one but if you have a back up then its not a problem. You would definately save a lot of money going with the PAS.

proenterprises
12-10-2004, 07:34 PM
i have the pas 260 prosweep. i love it, but then again i have always loved all my echo stuff.

locutus
12-10-2004, 07:58 PM
O.K. Grassmaster, I see you've been in the business one year. Dont make the mistake of becoming too brand loyal. I can see how switching from Troybilt to Echo would illicit these "warm fuzzy feelings" from you, given that there is not much comparison between the two. Light years apart IMO. I have quite a bit of Echo equipment that I currently use as backups. Through research and experimentation, I have come to the conclusion that different mfgs have different strengths, and not just where products are concerned. Service, parts availability, and ease of use are important as well. I think you touched on this already. As a result, I currently have a mix of equipment. I like Redmax for trimmers and blowers, Husqvarna for chainsaws only, Stihl for hedge trimmers, Echo for Stick Edger and Exmark for mowers. To their credit, I think Echo has started to address some of the problems they have had in recent years, mainly carb problems. I had two go bad, luckily under warranty at the time.

GrassMasterNC
12-10-2004, 08:16 PM
I completely agree. I have no loyalty to any company or brand - just love the echo trimmer and edger even after trying the stihl & husqvarnas. Other than those two, everything else on my trailer is different - tools that I researched and tested and that finally won my approval. I guess you could say that I am loyal to the specific tool more than the manufacturer of the tool. Not one problem with the echos yet though. The purpose of my post was to see if anyone else out there have tried the PAS and what their opinions of them were. Have you tried them? I'm interested in what folks think....the point was made earlier that if it breaks, you're out of several tools rather than one...which is a very good point if there are no back-ups. Thanks for your input.

Matt

locutus
12-10-2004, 08:43 PM
I completely agree. I have no loyalty to any company or brand - just love the echo trimmer and edger even after trying the stihl & husqvarnas. Other than those two, everything else on my trailer is different - tools that I researched and tested and that finally won my approval. I guess you could say that I am loyal to the specific tool more than the manufacturer of the tool. Not one problem with the echos yet though. The purpose of my post was to see if anyone else out there have tried the PAS and what their opinions of them were. Have you tried them? I'm interested in what folks think....the point was made earlier that if it breaks, you're out of several tools rather than one...which is a very good point if there are no back-ups. Thanks for your input.

MattI haven't tried a PAS system, though I have been toying with the idea to save room in my truck/trailer. The point was good that if the powerhead takes a crap on you, all your equipment is down. I dont know if this reason alone is enough to disuade me from considering it though. I'm still kicking the idea around for now.- One more thing, most of the powerheads for the mult-tool systems seem to max out at the 25cc range. I would feel more comfortable with a little power over-kill with these systems, just to reassure me that no one attachment would be under powered. 30cc's would be nice.

Envi-Lawn
12-10-2004, 09:31 PM
I've used the PAS 2601 for about 4 years. Problem free. I purchased it with the dethatcher, edger, and cultivator. My next attachment will be the articulating hedge trimmer. Everycomponent is quality. The dethatcher is amazing for lawn repairs, just because of its portability.

Drew Gemma
12-10-2004, 11:37 PM
I have echo Strung trimmers, edgers, hedge clippers and blowers. I have one of each 2 trimmers 2 blowers. I use the pas260 I love it but you do have to change attachments. Other than that I love it I use it as an extra unit or back up. Plus when you get really old shrubs that are tall the articulating trimmer works great. If you got the need and the money buy it.

Stripper
12-11-2004, 01:30 AM
Started out with a pas-2100 with trimmer and edger attachment. Added a pas-260 to the line up for two reasons. 1. I was tired of changing attachments every job(how lazy of me). 2. Real good idea to have a backup if one goes down. Your more than likely to have two(trimmer & edger)anyway. Why not have one that can take the others place? I seriously dought if I buy anything but split shaft power heads.

weve
12-11-2004, 02:10 AM
I purchased the Echo 2100SB with trimmer and edger back in 1997. I later purchased the power pruner and extended hedge clipper attachments. The power unit has never been down. The 2100 power unit has been a bit weak for use as an edger. I bought a new PAS 260 power unit yesterday which will hopefully solve that problem. It will also give me a backup power unit. I also have two Shindaiwa trimmers.

As a single operator with 30 accounts the PAS system has worked for me. One downside is that each brand has their own unique coupler so that you can't use the Stihl power unit with Echo attachments and vise versa. That tends to keep you with the brand that you start with.

BobR
12-11-2004, 08:33 AM
Let me say that I have a great dealer that I am extremely loyal too. Just so happens that he handles ECHO as well as Toro and Makita (in stock) and can special order just about any thing I desire. Needless to say I went with the Echo line and after a few mis-starts I have settled on the SB 260 (I have been lucky and sold the trimmers leading up to the 260 at a minimal loss) it has the right power to weight ratio for me and has been extremely reliable (I also have another PAS 260 as backup) the only time the 260 has let me down was one of the drive cable ends failed (lifetime warren). Attachments are Trimmer, Broom, Hedger and Articulating Hedger.
Backup 260 was used so little that I converted it to a short shaft hedger and since doing so my HC-180 has become a low use item.

BobR

Shawns Lawns
12-11-2004, 10:42 AM
All i ever used is Echo's and have been happy with its reliability. I currently use the blowers ES2100 & ES210, trimmer SRM230, power source PAS2400 and attachments, trimmer, cultivator, hedge clippers, power broom, edger, and the power pruner. I also have the hedge clipper HC150. I am not stuck on name recognition but they have just worked well for me. I am not worried about being out of all my equiptment if my power head fails. I will get another and keep on working.