PDA

View Full Version : What information do you send customers?

Shady Brook
12-10-2004, 10:48 AM
I am prepareing for Spring again, and am sending out information packets to existing customers, and also new. I think I send out to much information on exactly what I do in each fertilizer plan I offer.

How detailed do you fellas get? Do you give them a vareity of options as far as how many applications they would get, ie. 4,5,6? Do you give details of exactly what you do at each application, or do you just give them a summery of why a 6 application plan is better then a 5, or something along those lines?

I don't think they really care when I do a post emergent application, or even when I fertilize, as long as they get results.

I try to steer folks to a plan that allows me to choose what they need. I tell them I will not exceed 6 visits unless a special need arrives, and then I will discuss the matter with them. This would allow me the freedom to do a surface feeding insect app., and maybe omit a pre emergent app. I try to convince them I will try to give what the lawn needs for best results for their lawn.

Any good links, or thoughts on this would be wonderful.

Jay

James Cormier
12-10-2004, 11:19 AM
Jay, we offer a 5 step basic program that everyone gets, yes its a canned program, but works for 99% of all lawns I service. 5 visits spaced 42 days apart, fert,prem,weed and lime are what is included in the program, I do break down for the customer what each treatment gets, I you check out my web site it explains each treatment there. www.oldstonelawncare.com

All my customers get that program, thats my meat & potatoes, Then I offer additional services that I let customers pick and choose. Those include,

2nd app of crabgrass ( post control)
grub control ( preventive control )
core aeration
aeration & over seeding
slice seeding
mosquito barrier
mulch bed weed preventive
mulch bed post control

THese are all listed in a different area on my estimate form as well as my renewal/prepay form. and people just check off what they want.

Pretty simple
Jim

Shady Brook
12-10-2004, 07:36 PM
Thank you Jim

I appreciate you shareing that information. Your website, and Lawn care program looks very professional and complete. I may use something like that, and suggest other services as needed. I have been offering a four app plan, but find the people on it demand the same kind of results as those getting a five or six. I will likely eliminate it unless I know the customer's conditions and expectations pretty well. Your informational sheet is vastly superior to mine, do you have color copies that you hand out upon contact? I think that would be a very nice touch.

Thanks again.
Jay

ArchiesLawns
12-10-2004, 09:10 PM
mulch bed post control

THese are all listed in a different area on my estimate form as well as my renewal/prepay form. and people just check off what they want.

James,

What do you use for your Mulch beds? Pre & Post?

Also, out of curiosity when do you send your renewals? We send ours out by the 15th of December.

I like your website as well! NICE

Thanks,
Archie

hole in one lco
12-10-2004, 11:05 PM
this is what all my customers get in February

trying 2b organic
12-11-2004, 12:44 AM
James, most lawns need yrly lime here also and I was going to add it to all my prgms but had a funny thought. I sell a lot of prgms in March and April when folks start to think about thier lawns. But when i appy lime i like to get it down in Feb so it can have some impact on the pH before i appy fert. (so they get more bang for thier buck fert wise and lime wise)

I just couldnt get past that in a clean way so I decided to leave it out. I guess the question is.... do you think i should include it and if its a new cust. who purchased a prgm in May that I should do the lime then. I have read that you shouldnt do lime and fert in the same day. Is that true? ty very much.

edit. I got so caught up in my lime thoughts i forgot to reply to original post. One thing I have learned and re-learned is how little my customers read my ad copy. I started with 1500 words of turf science I laboured over. When I realized not a sinlge customer read it my flyer went down to 500 words simply ourlining the phone number. Im alsmost at the point where I think my communicaitons should contain nothing more than my logo and phone numer since that is all they look at. K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) :blush:

trying 2b organic
12-11-2004, 12:58 AM
Hole in One, nice form ty for posting it. Thats a lot of N for the summer. Ive been convinced to not apply N in July and Aug even if the cust has irrigation. Do you bring 3-way with you for spot treating every visit and is that why its not mentioned? ty again.

James Cormier
12-11-2004, 11:37 AM
mulch bed post control

James,

What do you use for your Mulch beds? Pre & Post?

Also, out of curiosity when do you send your renewals? We send ours out by the 15th of December.

I like your website as well! NICE

Thanks,
Archie

Arc, I use treflan for the prem, and round up for the post control. I haven't pushed this service too much because Im so busy in the spring trying to get my rd1's done.

I never liked sending out anything before Christmas,plus I take the whole month of December off, I go into the office maybe once or twice in December. I get all mine out by the middle of Jan. When I do my rd 5's there is a spot on the send back forum ( with payment ) to check off signing up for next seasons service. 60-70 % of my customers sign up at that time.

thanks on the website, it cost so little money for what I got, I plan to make it more interactive with customers, like accept payments, sign up for services but thats in the future.

James Cormier
12-11-2004, 11:43 AM
James, most lawns need yrly lime here also and I was going to add it to all my prgms but had a funny thought. I sell a lot of prgms in March and April when folks start to think about thier lawns. But when i appy lime i like to get it down in Feb so it can have some impact on the pH before i appy fert. (so they get more bang for thier buck fert wise and lime wise)

I just couldnt get past that in a clean way so I decided to leave it out. I guess the question is.... do you think i should include it and if its a new cust. who purchased a prgm in May that I should do the lime then. I have read that you shouldnt do lime and fert in the same day. Is that true? ty very much.

edit. I got so caught up in my lime thoughts i forgot to reply to original post. One thing I have learned and re-learned is how little my customers read my ad copy. I started with 1500 words of turf science I laboured over. When I realized not a sinlge customer read it my flyer went down to 500 words simply ourlining the phone number. Im alsmost at the point where I think my communicaitons should contain nothing more than my logo and phone numer since that is all they look at. K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) :blush:

Trying, I think you get more bang for your buck applying lime later in the fall then early spring, snow cover would make it impossible to do it in Feb around here. All lawns get lime in New England, period, end of story, complain all you want about not doing soil samples, but its a fact, they all need lime. Some more than others, and if you need a soil sample to tell you what lawn needs more lime then others you shouldnt be in the buisness. You can lime the same day/time of Fert. Matter of fact I use Fert-a-lime alot.

I add lime to my program for marketing, I tell people hey you get it for free ( just spit the cost up among the 5 apps ) it works so I stick with it.

Im the poster boy for Keep it simple stupid :D

timturf
12-11-2004, 01:47 PM
Trying, I think you get more bang for your buck applying lime later in the fall then early spring, snow cover would make it impossible to do it in Feb around here. All lawns get lime in New England, period, end of story, complain all you want about not doing soil samples, but its a fact, they all need lime. Some more than others, and if you need a soil sample to tell you what lawn needs more lime then others you shouldnt be in the buisness. You can lime the same day/time of Fert. Matter of fact I use Fert-a-lime alot.

I add lime to my program for marketing, I tell people hey you get it for free ( just spit the cost up among the 5 apps ) it works so I stick with it.

Im the poster boy for Keep it simple stupid :D

But James,

Without a soil test............
How do you know how much and whick type?
Or if it really needs lime!

Yes, in my area of the east coast the soil is generally has a low ph, except the clients who have been liming for years, and I find these yards have a high ph, and I need to apply sulfur to lower the ph!!!!!!!!!

Get a soil test, tells the base saturation, ph, phoshorous, and micro nutrients.
Don't assume and or guess!!!
You want to get the base saturations correct!

Pilgrims' Pride
12-11-2004, 05:25 PM
I agree that all lawns need at least some lime to correct Ph and all of my lawns get lime.
I offer a "standard maintenance application" or for those who would like it I'll do Ph testing (at a cost) and then apply lime based on those findings.
Experience tells me that property's that get the first choice DO improve over time.
I have also taken over some accounts who have had lime applied in a similar fashion and those customers have asked for tedting.
As long as the previous LCO was on the level, the Ph has always been reasonable.

As far as timing of lime apps, is it not still true that different lime treatments work at different speeds?

I lime when I have time.

After feedings, tree sprays and the rest are caught up.

James Cormier
12-11-2004, 08:10 PM
But James,

Without a soil test............
How do you know how much and whick type?
Or if it really needs lime!

Yes, in my area of the east coast the soil is generally has a low ph, except the clients who have been liming for years, and I find these yards have a high ph, and I need to apply sulfur to lower the ph!!!!!!!!!

Get a soil test, tells the base saturation, ph, phoshorous, and micro nutrients.
Don't assume and or guess!!!
You want to get the base saturations correct!

Tim, Ive been using the same lime for 12years, Ive done countless soil samples and Ive never seen a lawn that didnt need some kinda of adjusting with lime, let alone a sulfur app to lower the ph.

ArchiesLawns
12-12-2004, 12:15 AM
Arc, I use treflan for the prem, and round up for the post control. I haven't pushed this service too much because Im so busy in the spring trying to get my rd1's done.

I never liked sending out anything before Christmas,plus I take the whole month of December off, I go into the office maybe once or twice in December. I get all mine out by the middle of Jan. When I do my rd 5's there is a spot on the send back forum ( with payment ) to check off signing up for next seasons service. 60-70 % of my customers sign up at that time.

thanks on the website, it cost so little money for what I got, I plan to make it more interactive with customers, like accept payments, sign up for services but thats in the future.

James, I use Barricade and Gallery and do 3 services (Feb, June,Sept) never any use for post. I don't like the idea of a Tech carring round up!

We do 7 services here. So we start our first service between January 10th - 15th. We are just now finishing up round 7 (Lime).

Thanks for the input

Archie

DUSTYCEDAR
12-12-2004, 11:33 AM
i send them what i am going to do and a close time table of when this will happen
i do not tell them what products i use or what the anaylsis is on the bag most dont care and any that do i speek to on the phone
if they have a problem with the lawn i fix it quick and never hear form them again so most acc. just keep sending me a check :)