PDA

View Full Version : Saw tru green this week

GrazerZ
12-10-2004, 11:41 AM
I've seen tru green this week working twice. Its amazing because there has been snow on the ground for two weeks. Amazing. Maybe I should start fertilizing the snow???? LOL

TSM
12-10-2004, 12:08 PM
I've seen tru green this week working twice. Its amazing because there has been snow on the ground for two weeks. Amazing. Maybe I should start fertilizing the snow???? LOL

okay, so what am i missing here??

I mean what is it exactly that you laugh at?

GrazerZ
12-10-2004, 03:56 PM
I'm laughing at the fact that they are still fertilizing, on top of snow. We have about 3" of snow and about a half an inch of ice on top of that. That round should have been done around here a month ago. To me thats funny. wish I had a photo of a tech pushing a spreader through the snow.

timturf
12-10-2004, 07:28 PM
the fert will help melt the ice! Do you think that was what they were up to?

Ric
12-11-2004, 08:02 AM
I went to a CEU Seminar on Thursday And the last speaker of the day was From TrueGreen. Wow what a dynamic speaker this guy is. He had the whole classes attention for the entire hour he spoke. He had started with TrueGreen as a spray tech and was now a supervisor. The subject was Chinch Bugs which is the biggest insect problem on St Augustine Turf. Interesting enough he admitted to dropping price and even giving a years free service to unsatisfied customers. This guy was such a great speaker that I almost believe some of the garbage coming out of his mouth about how good TrueGreen Was. Yes I wanted to rake this guy over the coals, but he wasn't a BooBy Gelding so I just kept my mouth shut.

GrazerZ
12-11-2004, 09:47 AM
the fert will help melt the ice! Do you think that was what they were up to?
I hope your kidding.LOL

timturf
12-11-2004, 01:39 PM
grazerZ,

Wasn't uncommon up north, ( N Ill & Wisc) for the gc supt to apply a lite application on gc greens which have been covered by Ice for 45 days or longer. Would remove snow to get to ice, the spread a lite application of a dark fertilizer!

DUSTYCEDAR
12-11-2004, 01:43 PM
fert does melt ice and snow

GrazerZ
12-11-2004, 02:53 PM
I know that it will melt snow. Theree is no reason to do that on someones lawn up here. it will be covered again in a few days.

Green Dreams
12-11-2004, 03:46 PM
I was just wondering who the tru green guy was....

YardPro
12-11-2004, 05:38 PM
ferrt may melt snow, but nitrogen runnoff is a major pollutuion source, and is big on the epa list. down here N runoff from farms and residential properties are causing major fish kills.

It is a very irresponsible way to melt snow.

timturf
12-12-2004, 03:18 PM
ferrt may melt snow, but nitrogen runnoff is a major pollutuion source, and is big on the epa list. down here N runoff from farms and residential properties are causing major fish kills.

It is a very irresponsible way to melt snow.

My point was too melt ICE, and only if turf has been ice covered for over 45 days!!!!!!!! The nitrogen run-off can be controlled, but would depend on source of nitrogen!!!!! Try to use a dark color fertilizer, an organic maybe, with lots of slow release!!!!

masterpiece1
12-12-2004, 09:01 PM
Wonder why we have a problem in our industry with perception. Putting fertilizer over snow and ice. We have very respected members basically defending the practice. This is a residential lawn not a golf course. Let's use our common sense, this is about money making and not melting ice.

timturf
12-13-2004, 12:09 PM
Wonder why we have a problem in our industry with perception. Putting fertilizer over snow and ice. We have very respected members basically defending the pratice . This is a residential lawn not a golf course. Let's use our common sense, this is about money making and not melting ice.

masterpiece1,

Yes, it's a residential lawn, not a golf course, can't agree more! I was only suggesting that they might be trying to melt some ice! We all know, there is a 99.9% chance that wasn't their goal!!!
Turf covered by ice for over 45 days can die, and it becomes important to remove the ice!!!!!!!!!

Only know of gc superintendents removing the ice on putting greens and bentgrass tee's, never on other cool season turf! I was by no means suggesting to remove ice on residential turf!

Lawnchoice
12-13-2004, 12:32 PM
Good old Chem Lawn.

0-0-60 winter special

They have their sales reps making out bounds to all the customers who didn't take the 7th app of the year and pushing them into the winterizer.

Sad business.

They will never be on a property that I service ever again.