PDA

View Full Version : Where to blow?

flasooner
12-10-2004, 12:20 PM
I am just getting started out in the business and have a had a couple of discussions about where to blow pack after mowing. One guys says he blows into the street and another said that is not good business and if it is just a little he blows back into the grass and if it is a big mess he may pick some of it up and blow the rest into the yard. I am not oppossed to the extra work of picking it up, but I also want to be smart about my time and efficiency as well. Please give any advice you have for a new guy. Thanks.

Sir mowsalot
12-10-2004, 12:31 PM
When in doubt, blow the clippings in the neighbors yard, they love that. lol

o-so-n-so
12-10-2004, 12:32 PM
This is my opinion.

Never leave grass on any hard surface including roadways. If you are having that much grass after cutting, maybe cut more often.(mow weekly if possible)

I have a few accounts that have excessive clippings but I always discharge to the inside around any obstacles or hard surface and then just make a couple of passes to dissipate the clippings.

Curb appeal is what you want.....can't achieve that with clippings in the road.

mbricker
12-10-2004, 12:32 PM
You've got to make the decision based on what is accepted in your area, not my part of the country or someone else's.

Here in NW Arkansas, a mark of a redneck scrub is blowing the clippings into the street. There is no city pickup along the streets. Some cities that other lco's work in, the city routinely comes by to vac up the leaves or clippings that are blown out from the yard over the curb.

A lot of guys say "never, never bag (pick-up) clippings." I came to the conclusion several years ago that a lot of lawns could be completed quicker if I just bagged. Because the grass was too thick for the clippings to hide, or because the lawn was small or had so many landscape areas, that no matter which way I pointed the discharge, I then had to spend extra time blowing the clippings back out of the beds, or off the drive. Some guys swear the mulcher mowers they run will leave a lawn looking just like it was bagged. But some of those mulchers, on a real thick Bermuda or Zoysia lawn, will be still dumping huge quantities of clippings as you roll onto the drive, and even when you blow it off, there are still green streaks where the wheels mashed clippings into the concrete. And on well fertilized and watered Bermuda and Zoysia lawns, there is also the issue of clippings building up week after week, because clippings off those grasses just don't break down fast.

So what it boils down to, use your best judgment to decide what is best in your area, for the type of lawns and turf you are maintaining.

Branchland
12-10-2004, 12:50 PM
I blow the clippings back into the yard. If there is a vacant lot or woods on the other side of the street I might blow them there. If there is alot of clippings I'll use a rake to get the most of them up then blow the rest into the yard. It don't look good if there's alot of clippings blown back into the yard. And I think it looks worse if they're blown into the street. Plus unprofessional.

BryPaulD
12-10-2004, 12:55 PM
blow em' into the street and broom or vac em' up?

DennisF
12-10-2004, 01:00 PM
Blow the clippings to where they came from..the lawn. Don't leave anything on paved surfaces.

Fantasy Lawns
12-10-2004, 01:04 PM
I don't know about O Town but in Brevard it's Illegal to blow em into the street .... It's a NO brainer .... back onto the lawn n if it's heavy ..... keep blowing it around tell you can't see em

Also a Mulching Deck will kill most of the debri

out4now
12-10-2004, 01:51 PM
As brought up already it is illegal in some areas to blow them in the street. It also looks completely unprofessional to a potential customer. You may find that's it's actually faster to just push the big heavy stuff in a pile and shoel it up and push the light stuff back into the grass with a blower.

Garden Panzer
12-10-2004, 02:15 PM
We blow the curb line, so whatever is there against the curb becomes a city problem...as for clippings- think bushes....and not the GW kind...though I must admit to cracking a smile at GW stepping off AIR FORCE 1, only to get hit by a dirt cloud from a leaf blower!!! HA!
:rolleyes:

flasooner
12-10-2004, 03:28 PM
Thanks for all the repsonses, it's very helpful. I'm sure there will be more questions along these same lines from me as I encounter them. Thanks again!!!

YardPro
12-10-2004, 04:48 PM
if there is debris on the curb when you pull up we blow it into the grass, then mow the debris, mulching it.

we use mulching decks, so re depositing it in the road is not a problem