PDA

View Full Version : Toro ProLine 21" w/ Suzuki 5.5 HP occasionally won't start

gulfstreme
12-10-2004, 03:57 PM
When I first start it for the day I put it on choke and 2 or 3 pulls starts it every time. When it has been sitting on the trailer going between accounts it starts fine. But, when it has been running then sits for around 10 minutes it is impossible to start. I pull 10 times with no choke.. then 10 times on choke then prime it then pull and pull and pull :realmad:

gulfstreme
12-10-2004, 04:38 PM
I read through this thread (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=35289&highlight=toro+suzuki+start+pull+choke) and I'm goin to try a new spark plug. It just seems like it is too tricky/sensitive to warm start these things.

Travis Followell
12-10-2004, 07:01 PM
Whenever it won't start check to see if your getting a spark. Sounds like it could possubly be the ignition module.

dishboy
12-10-2004, 11:37 PM
When I first start it for the day I put it on choke and 2 or 3 pulls starts it every time. When it has been sitting on the trailer going between accounts it starts fine. But, when it has been running then sits for around 10 minutes it is impossible to start. I pull 10 times with no choke.. then 10 times on choke then prime it then pull and pull and pull :realmad:

Try letting it idle for 1-2 minites to cool down before you shut it down.

Tech man
12-11-2004, 12:12 AM
There are a few things you could check,
1) check for water in the fuel bowl
2) check the gap between the coil and the flywheel, Im not sure about the suzuki, (we dont get to many of them here in the shop, mostly Kohlers and Kawasaki`s on the prolines) it should be about .008

nt1
12-12-2004, 02:10 AM
Yeah I am having the exact same problem on one of my toros. So far the suggestions have included:

1. (no spark)? check ignition module
2. let it idle 1-2 minutes before shutting off
3. check for water in fuel bowl
4. check gap between coil and flywheel
5. replace spark plug

So can anyone explain why the mower will start on first pull when cold( 2 primes/no choke for me), but when its warm it will not start until after a 5 to 10 minute cool down?

I do not understand why the above suggestions/fixes would help. It seems these fixes would help if the mower always had trouble starting, but why is it just when its hot?

Thanks so far for the replies!

Travis Followell
12-12-2004, 08:19 AM
1) A lot of times when ignition modules go bad they will work when they are cold and may work right on but when you cut it off and its hot the module will not start working again until its cool or may not work at all. I've had this happen to me with one of my mowers so most likely that is what the problem is with you all's mowers.

2) I can't see how this could help it start better but will just keep it from backfiring if those engines do that.

3) If there's water in the bowl that would keep it from getting gas so therefore it wouldn't start.

4) If the air gap between the coil and flywheel is too much the force of the magnets may not be reaching the coil so that will cause no spark. If the coil is rubbing against the flywheel there isn't enough space for the magnetic force from the flywheel to get to the coil so again resulting in no spark.

5) When spark plug gets hot it may not fire. It is a cheap any easy part to replace and it can only help the engine and replacing the plug on a regular basis could prevent a failure when the mower is being used.

dishboy
12-12-2004, 09:26 AM
My Honda does the same thing, as well as many different mowers if the machine is hot and shut down without a chance to cool for a minute. If it will not start and you have spark usually it has to do with air\fuel ratios which change with temp. My solution and daily practice is to let every machine idle for a minute ao until the RPM's drop a little[a lean motor idles faster] and I then have no problem at startup.

BobwithECLC
12-12-2004, 09:30 AM
This may sound goofy but try replacing the fuel cap. I had a 21" snapper with a Honda on it only maybe 6 months old did about the same thing yours was doing occasionally it would stall on a job as well. I tried every thing I could think of but couldn't figure it out so I finally took it in for service. And then they told me what they did and explained that the gas cap has a vent in it to keep the fuel tank from becoming pressurized and or vapor locking and that my cap was missing the rubber vent that was in it. Well just my 2 nickles

nt1
12-13-2004, 09:50 AM
So it seems that either the ignition module or gap between the coil and flywheel needs fixing. I have already replaced spark plug and fuel cap.

I forgot to mention that after shutting off mower it will restart within 1 minute of shut down perfectly but that 1 to 10 minutes after is @#%&@ to start !

Travis Followell
12-13-2004, 08:22 PM
Yea, its got to be one of the two. Check the gap first and if that doesn't help then you'll need to replace the ignition module.

nt1
12-14-2004, 12:45 AM
Thanks for all the help!
The good news is I have time to fix some of these things.....the bad news is I have time to fix some of these things. :)

gulfstreme
05-05-2005, 08:40 PM
Hey NT1,

just wondering if you ever fixed or identified the actual problem as it is still hapening on a regular basis for me..

valley1
05-09-2005, 09:42 PM
Not sure if this will help you but it helped me. I have a toro walk behind, last years model. When i start mine the handle that controls the speed of the mower must be pulled fully down. I tightened the bolt on that control and it starts every time now.