PDA

View Full Version : The times, they are a changin

packerbacker
12-10-2004, 06:16 PM
Got some choice to make this offseason. Have to get my goals in order for 2005. We are having our 2nd child in Feb and the wife doesnt want to go back to work. Basically i will have to more then double my income to support us. Im a solo-operator taking care of about 35 residential properties. I have already recieved 5 calls for new customers next year so im up to 40. Obviously if i double my work ill have to hire someone to help. I was just wondering if anyone had advice about jumping from solo to the next level?

Goals for 2005

Purchase dump truck
Purchase new mowers
Hire employee
Be more meticulous such as keeping better records
Work even when i really dont want to.

What is everyone elses goals for the upcoming year?

GrassBustersLawn
12-10-2004, 06:26 PM
packerbacker

If you are planning on buying a new dump truck, some new mowers & hiring an employee AND wanting to DOUBLE YOUR TAKE HOME, you need to QUADRUPLE YOUR BUSINESS!

Employee with Work Comp & Genl Liab will cost you $$$$. However, the Insurance cost for a second or third employee are next to nothing. So LOAD UP ON BUSINESS and hire 2 or 3 workers!

Mike

packerbacker
12-10-2004, 06:28 PM
packerbacker

If you are planning on buying a new dump truck, some new mowers & hiring an employee AND wanting to DOUBLE YOUR TAKE HOME, you need to QUADRUPLE YOUR BUSINESS!

Employee with Work Comp & Genl Liab will cost you $$$$. However, the Insurance cost for a second or third employee are next to nothing. So LOAD UP ON BUSINESS and hire 2 or 3 workers!

Mike

I wouldnt say "new" on the dump truck lol. I guess the question is when does everyone know when to take the jump to the next level?

When they cant handle the workload?
When they make enough to pay someone?

taking care of 75-80 houses (just mowing) isnt that much but i cant see myself making anything with 3-4 employees

BryPaulD
12-10-2004, 06:40 PM
congrats on #2. I have 4 @ home and 5 every other weekend. And yes I realise what causes this :) I could suggest offering more services than you just do? Maybe if she doesn't want to go back to work, maybe work out of the home? Something that she can make some sort of income too. It's very hard these days for just one to work, apparently it used to be o.k. back in the 30's to 50's. I know I struggle. I checked into the work comp for one $12 hour guy @ 40 hours per week, and it would triple or so my insurance, WOW. Also here in MI I believe you can pay someone up to $600 without anything. Maybe pull an out of school kid here and there to make some extra dough? Anyway congrats again and have fun.

packerbacker
12-10-2004, 06:46 PM
I guess ill get some prices before i jump into employees.

YardPro
12-10-2004, 06:51 PM
congrats on the addition.

my wife has not gone back to work after our son was born. I thought we would have alot more trouble financially than we did. She brought in about $24K. seems that we were just pissing it away.

Frank2
12-10-2004, 07:45 PM
the wife doesnt want to go back to work.

35 accounts???? I would say the above is not an option.

DennisF
12-10-2004, 08:30 PM
You should be able to handle 60-70 accounts solo. I'm solo and I do 63. Granted...it isn't easy, but I can do them all in less than 5 days. I'm 52 years old (today) and it takes a toll physically, but I still feel good after a 10 hour day cutting grass and I enjoy the work.

Try to stay solo if possible. When you start hiring employees, this business becomes a lot more complicated and costs skyrocket.

K.Carothers
12-10-2004, 08:40 PM
You should be able to handle 60-70 accounts solo. I'm solo and I do 63. Granted...it isn't easy, but I can do them all in less than 5 days. I'm 52 years old (today) and it takes a toll physically, but I still feel good after a 10 hour day cutting grass and I enjoy the work.

Try to stay solo if possible. When you start hiring employees, this business becomes a lot more complicated and costs skyrocket.

kudos. How long being solo? Not being nebbie but whats your take home and how long at being solo? I am in a quandary for the next season about the "solo" deal.