PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Landscape89
12-10-2004, 11:10 PM
Hello I am a new member to this site. I am going on 16 years old wanting to own my own landscaping business after graduating from high school. I am recieving extensive training at my agricultural school which will benifit me in the future. Currently, I do about 7 Landscape Maintenance jobs, most of which include lawn maintenance, spring and fall clean ups, hedge trimming, and snow shoveling. My question to you people: Does anyone know of any good videos I can buy online which have details on the proper procedures and training for new crew members? Also, any advice on what equipment to purchase for the " Just starting out" type of guy? Any information is very helpful and sincerely appreciated.

Thanks again,
Sean Howland

geogunn
12-10-2004, 11:18 PM
My question to you people: Does anyone know of any good videos I can buy online which have details on the proper procedures and training for new crew members? Also, any advice on what equipment to purchase for the " Just starting out" type of guy? Any information is very helpful and sincerely appreciated.

sean--welcome to LAWNSITE and the green industry as a career.

I dunno about any videos for training but I am sure if you visit here often and participate you will learn bunches, pronto.

GEO :)

out4now
12-10-2004, 11:20 PM
I know of some vids for tree work and there is this link but I have to admit I've never watched one of these .http://www.lawncaresuccess.com/lawncare/videos.asp hope that helps. What type of lawns will you be doing? How big, hilly, flat, gated back yards etc? There is a forum for just stating in the business that may answer a bunch of your questions as well. Lot's of guys start with a 21 inch mower, some hand tools, weedeater and blower and work up from there.

Landscape89
12-10-2004, 11:31 PM
I am starting out just that way. I own a Honda 21" Mower, Husqvarna 21" Hi-Vac Mower, Maruyama String Trimmer, Husqvarna 145BT Backpack Blower, Echo Hedge Clipper, Maruyama Backpack ( Although its old and needs to be put to rest soon) , Mantis Tiller w/ Dethatcher and Aerator Attachments, Lesco Spreader, Husqvarna 16" Chainsaw, and recently this fall bought a Yard Machines 5HP Walk Behind Leaf Blower. I guess I'm doing well for a 15 year old kid who's just starting out!

Gatewayuser
12-11-2004, 01:11 AM
Welcome to the lawn and landscape industry Landscape89! :waving: I started out with a 13hp yard machines rider mowed great and striped pretty well, cost about $900 and a $100 push mower $100 leave blower and a $150 stihl weed eater. If I would have had more money back then I would have got a 36" WB. But I was not old enough to operate one. Check your local library for videos.

out4now
12-11-2004, 12:08 PM
I am starting out just that way. I own a Honda 21" Mower, Husqvarna 21" Hi-Vac Mower, Maruyama String Trimmer, Husqvarna 145BT Backpack Blower, Echo Hedge Clipper, Maruyama Backpack ( Although its old and needs to be put to rest soon) , Mantis Tiller w/ Dethatcher and Aerator Attachments, Lesco Spreader, Husqvarna 16" Chainsaw, and recently this fall bought a Yard Machines 5HP Walk Behind Leaf Blower. I guess I'm doing well for a 15 year old kid who's just starting out!

Man I think you're better equiped than many people on here are. ;) Lot of good name equip to start with. You must know a little something about this business already. You came to the right place though. At 15 all I was cutting was my parents yard and volunteered work for our church. I had my dad's Tanaka trimmer and a 21 inch Sensation mower, that was it. Sounds like you're off to a great start :waving:

lawnranger44
12-11-2004, 12:42 PM
Yep, that's how my brother and I started out when I was 15. Two 21" mowers, homeowner weedwacker and a broom. It looks like you're on the right track. Have you considered getting a bigger mower yet? Do you have your driver's lisence yet? Do you have a truck yet?

bobbygedd
12-11-2004, 12:57 PM
welcome to most overflooded, least respected business on the planet

out4now
12-11-2004, 01:43 PM
welcome to most overflooded, least respected business on the planet

Now don't sugar coat it. lol

sethsodsquad
12-12-2004, 01:34 AM
I would recommend getting more customers (>7) before you think about buying more tools and hiring workers. Plus, you'd have to find some dedicated workers who will listen to you (most likely younger than you . . . which isn't too possible).

What I would suggest is getting about 2x as much profit as you are now and then buying some heavy-duty equipment. Oh and one more tip - never buy residential stuff - you will pay more for it than for the commercial equipment in the long run.

Seth