PDA

View Full Version : life span of an employee

bobbygedd
12-11-2004, 11:54 AM
how long do most employees last? is there a big turnover rate? what is the average life span of an employee?

Garden Panzer
12-11-2004, 12:04 PM
8 months....

:waving:

coastallandscapesolutions
12-11-2004, 12:08 PM
Until their dead and then they must give us 30 days notice or lose their last check.

out4now
12-11-2004, 12:15 PM
8 months....

;) Wow, that is a high turnover.

fga
12-11-2004, 12:15 PM
i had my brother for 5 years sytraight.
after that... the turnover is about evry 6 months if i'm lucky. ending the season solo, need to find someone in the spring.

DUSTYCEDAR
12-11-2004, 01:46 PM
it all depends on pay and the person some people like to work and will stick around for a while if u treat them right
the biggest reason for someone leaveing is more money or more hours

rodfather
12-11-2004, 03:12 PM
My guys are back every year, but I pay them well too. You have to if you want to keep them.

bobbygedd
12-11-2004, 03:57 PM
ok, here's a question. if you want to give your help " a real job", you have to pay them well. maybe even benefits. but, what about vacation time? every job i've had gave me paid vacation. do u give your help paid vac? and when do they take it?

prizeprop
12-11-2004, 04:00 PM
Pay them well and they will stay, That has been my experience. I also give Christmas bonus,Usually a weeks pay. Another thing is to treat them with respect. If something goes wrong you can't fly off the handle and start yelling what the f--k are you an idiot. Someone that shows up every day on time and does his work year after year is a person that has self respect and you better treat them with respect unless there are other LCO's that will.

rodfather
12-11-2004, 04:08 PM
Each of my summer college guys got a $500 end of the season bonus from me this year.

I pay 1/2 of the major medical cost each month for my full timers.

You can take whatever time off during the season (with a 2 week prior notice), but I don't pay for vacation time.

pjslawncare/landscap
12-11-2004, 04:24 PM
My longest = 2.5 years
shortest = half day
I pay $10.50 hr for general worker with time and a half after 40

YardPro
12-11-2004, 05:17 PM
2 years average.

we give 5 sick days, 2 weeks paid vacation, major holidays paid
christmas bonus equal to 40 hrs.
another bonus we give is free lawncare.

SodKing
12-11-2004, 06:05 PM
1 12 years, another has been with us 5 years then we have about 6 positions that the employees last between 1 to 2 years or they may only last until I kill them and bury their pathetic bodies in a nice deep ditch.

mbella
12-11-2004, 06:49 PM
ok, here's a question. if you want to give your help " a real job", you have to pay them well. maybe even benefits. but, what about vacation time? every job i've had gave me paid vacation. do u give your help paid vac? and when do they take it?

I had two crews this year. I ran one and my foreman ran the other. He's been with me since day one and yes, I give him vacation (1 week) and pay half of his medical. He realized how important it was for him to be there everyday and didn't even ask to take his vacation all at once. He took a day here and day there, usually when it rained.
There are so many variables that effect employee retention. One for example, if any of you guys use H2B workers then you know that they are contractually obligated to work for you for a season at a time. Whereas a local can come and go as he pleases.

CamLand
12-11-2004, 07:38 PM
I have an employee that has been with me for 12 years,I guess I pay him well...

Precision
12-11-2004, 08:33 PM
planning to get a full timer in spring. Gonna pay above the going rate and provide 1 week vacation. To be taken in an off week (winter season is EOW) or over the christmas week when I close. Medical will need some more employees to justify.

My former boss paid low. He has 8-10 positions and runs through 100 people per year.
Since I quit only 2 foreman are still there and that is often touch and go. Outside of those 2 guys the longest is 6 months. But that is what you get when you pay $8 to start and foreman are making $10.50 and $11.25 (after 1 and 2.5 years respectively) as salary with a supposed schedule of 40 hours that is really 45-50 weekly.

DuallyVette
12-12-2004, 03:51 AM
I have one employee thats been with me since 1991, he's now 33 years old. I've had one stay for 7 years before and several for a year or two. Most people that apply for jobs in this industry don't want to work, they are pot smoking losers with nowhere to go. I can only motivate a few of them. Some start their own business. I pay above average wages, paid holidays, 2 weeks vacation per year (.8333 days per month of employement). They usually take a day at a time and a few at Christmas.

Envy Lawn Service
12-12-2004, 07:43 AM
how long do most employees last? is there a big turnover rate? what is the average life span of an employee?

I pay $10.50 hr for general worker with time and a half after 40

Well, even with a long season like mine of 36 weeks.... you do the math....

$10.50 hr x 40 hrs = $420 wk x 36 wks = $15,120 yr

They will work their arse off for that $15,120 yr.... guaranteed
They will sweat ther arse off for that $15,120 yr.... guaranteed
They will find themselves laid off just in time for the holidays.... guaranteed
The ESC will require them to look for another job.... guaranteed

Vacation? Last time I checked, they get 16 wks paid (ESC) unless they find a job!

Life expectancy? I dunno... how long do you think they will live that way?

I hate to break it to everyone. But that's not a "real job" guys.
That's not a 'living wage' either.
I made more than that a year at my first 'job' while in high school.
When is the last time you tried to survive on $15,120 yr???

Yet some have the gall to say Americans don't want want to work. Hire Mexicans....

Bobby, not to pick on you directly, but wasn't it you on here griping about making 4 times that?
Taking home 3 times that... and it's still not enough to live on?

I just don't know when the Green Industry is going to wake up and smell the coffee.... When we are all going to realize why we are on here crying that people have no respect for us.... don't see enough value in our hard labor.... won't pay $60+ hr for our services....

I'll tell you why! Somewhere along the way through the years, the value system of our great country got all F'd up!!! Things got all twisted around and backwards. Somebody somewhere changed our belief system and instilled in us that the ability to push a pen was much more valuable than the ability to push a lawn mower.

The really sad part about this is we are a party to the same friggin system!
For some reason we have adopted the same beliefs.
Yet we find ourselves here griping and complaining about all the above.
And still we wonder why?

It's either insanity or hypocrisy.... I'm not sure which.... the choice is yours.

Food for thought though, nonetheless....

Katwalk
12-12-2004, 08:18 AM
Envy is right...$10.50 does not go a long way. I start any new "general laborer" employee at $10. Tell me if I am wrong...it only takes a day to tell if someone can "work" or they don't know that the tines on the rake face down. Next is two weeks solid of showing up on time "ready" to work. I frequently explain to my guys that the reality is that if you don't find a way to be more efficient, work smarter or harder, and ultimately make the company more money, how can I justify paying you more money. I have a foreman presently that came in with 5 years experience in his early thirties. At the end of his second season with me he currently earns $17.50 an hour, 2 weeks paid vacation, company truck and gas card, cell phone, full medical and I think we had 5 holidays paid this year. It is a very respectable package for a mid thirties guy that come spring I don't have to spend a month re-training him and the "new" guys that come aboard.

SodKing
12-12-2004, 07:45 PM
My managers make about $55,000 and have been with me for several years. General laborers we used to start at $10/hr but I will be dropping that to $8.00/hr. When they prove they can work the will be eligible for a raise. I am tired of idiots coming in and wasting my time and I have to pay them $10/hr? If I could see that they were able to do the work without drooling on themselves I would move them towards $12-14 rather quickly.

lawnwizards
12-12-2004, 07:55 PM
what about a trial period pay. example: 8.00 dollars an hour for the first week, then if they pan out bump them up to 10.00. then give them performance bonuses and yearly raises. the only thing about bonuses is the expect them all the time.

lawnwizards.

DFW Area Landscaper
12-12-2004, 08:13 PM
Does the use of a company truck make a big difference with turnover among crew leaders?

I know Jim Lewis allows his crew leaders to drive the pickups home and use them for personal use. I would guess this makes a big difference.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

Turfdude
12-12-2004, 09:14 PM
We pay the going rate for our area. Guys are guarnteed 40 hrs a week and usually o.t. There are a few exceptions which usually happen this time oif year when it is cold & rainy for 2+ days. We give paid holiday, sick & vacation as well as 1/2 health care (will be reduced to 25% or 33% if h.c keeps going up.

Most employees don't make it long enough to qualify for benes. Most talk a good story. When you find the better employees (w/ valid licenses, good work ethic, respect for clients' properties, etc.. PAY THEM WHAT THEIR WORTH. Ihav had guys for 1 day and for 5-6 years. It all depends on the individual...how far they can go, their goals/aspirations and how far you can afford them to go.

SodKing
12-12-2004, 10:21 PM
what about a trial period pay. example: 8.00 dollars an hour for the first week, then if they pan out bump them up to 10.00. then give them performance bonuses and yearly raises. the only thing about bonuses is the expect them all the time.

lawnwizards.

One week would be too early for a performance review. That is done at 30 days and at that time we will make adjustments.

Kelly's Landscaping
12-12-2004, 11:11 PM
Envy is right the lower level guys have it very hard. But they can be replaced easily enough its the foreman you want to build and keep. If the newbies show promise and show the ability to lead then it is well worth making the job more appealing to them higher pay and some benefits. But the entry level guys you just can pay someone who has no clue what to do 15 an hour its the best way to go broke I know. The entry level guys can move up quickly but how much is a worker worth to you I mean if he is a great guy on a mower and can drive a truck but has no ability to lead and get jobs done with out some one over him what is he worth. I have had this happen to me 3 or 4 times in the last 2 years I have had some very good workers and I have paid them 13.50 - 15.00 and hour but none of them were foreman quality in my eyes. As good as they were and 2 of them had 12 years in the trade each compared to me they sucked were talking night and day. When I was a foreman for my last company I was making 900 a week salary on a 40 week work year so I have seen the other end of the spectrum but the same employer has not replaced me since I left. And his top guy is now only 13 and hour job title along cannot dictate pay rate. What I have found is for a non management worker 13 and hour for an experience guy is fine but 15 was to much. Live and learn the only trouble is the quality of the employees we get to pick from is limited as like Envy said who wants to live like that.

Katwalk
12-14-2004, 07:17 AM
Sodking...do the managers ever do any field work other than sales or inspection of work? The other thing to consider is that there are people that if you pay them $10 an hour and they stink, they don't get any better if you approach them and say "Hey, I need you to work better for us so I decided to give you a raise to $20 an hour." They will still stink at $20 guaranteed!!

DFW....the company truck is a nice touch. My deal is that you clean it once a week and keep up on the maintenance (check fluids and tire pressure etc.) Hahaha...I still have to inspect and ask on occasion if it is being done because "oh yeah, I forgot to check that" escapes even the better employees.

SodKing
12-14-2004, 08:36 AM
The managers do work in the field regularly. I generally do not give raises to try to make someone a better worker. If they prove they are a better worker, then they may receive a raise.

YardPro
12-14-2004, 09:09 AM
the better work must come BEFORE THE RAISE.

more money will not create better work.

bsmithalc
12-14-2004, 10:33 AM
I just wish i could come work for some of you guys!! Damn, I'm the maintenance director for the small company I work for and all I get paid is salary and 1 week paid vacation. No benefits, no medical, no 401k, the only holiday I get is July 4th, Thanksgiving day, Christmas eve and day. 4 days out of the year. I get no overtime even though back in the peak of the summer I was pushin 50-60 hrs a week.

Most of you guys sound like a dream to work for compared to who I do now. If I lived closer I would have to apply.

DuallyVette
12-14-2004, 11:11 PM
Does the use of a company truck make a big difference with turnover among crew leaders?

I know Jim Lewis allows his crew leaders to drive the pickups home and use them for personal use. I would guess this makes a big difference.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

That seems like opening the flood gates. Some employees would drink and drive, or just joy ride, run up the mileage and drain the fuel tank $$$. I'd rather pay them enough to buy their own vehicles.

Evergreenpros
12-15-2004, 06:23 PM
Well, even with a long season like mine of 36 weeks.... you do the math....

$10.50 hr x 40 hrs = $420 wk x 36 wks = $15,120 yr

I hate to break it to everyone. But that's not a "real job" guys.
That's not a 'living wage' either.
I made more than that a year at my first 'job' while in high school.
When is the last time you tried to survive on $15,120 yr???

Yet some have the gall to say Americans don't want want to work. Hire Mexicans....

I chuckle when "living wage" issue comes up. I can live on 15k a year, only working 9 months. I choose to make more. The employee does not have to work for us, they can choose to start their own company or look for another job. You would be surprised how many people don't want to work 12 months out of the year.

If I could make 30k a year, working 9 months and my only responsiblities are to show up for work most of the time sober, push a mower and not break anything? I would be hard pressed to start my own business. When you leave work you leave work. No worry about making equipment payments, covering payroll, taxes, advertising or disgruntled customers!!!! The joy!!!!

We set our prices on what the market will stand. We then take those prices and form a budget. From the budget we figure out what we can pay people. From that we actually put the plan in motion. We don't just get up one day and say "I going to pay $40 an hour for somebody to walk around with a leaf blower, everything else be dammed!!" That's communism, it failed.

Like looking for a piece of equipment, we look for value in our employees. If you don't, rest assured your competition will. :D

DuallyVette
12-15-2004, 10:33 PM
We work 52 weeks a year