PDA

View Full Version : Looking to next year

The landscaper
12-11-2004, 01:13 PM
I am in college now, I have been in the lawn care business for a few years. The past couple years while at college my business has struggled a bit during fall and spring. The guys that work for me tend to slack off and not show up whem im not around.

What do you guys think about hiring a buddy of mine, who has worked with another landscaper for the past few years, and let him work his way into the business. If he incentive to make the business better because it effects him I think he will workout better. And this is not my plan for life, so its like im cutting my income in half. I will be finding another job out of college, and he could possible buy my half then?

Thanks

AEW
12-11-2004, 02:30 PM
A firend of mine in college has been working for me part time for the last two years when I needed the help and next year I am hoping to even put him on salary. He is a damn hard worker and actually cares about the business doing well. He has a communications degree so if I am able to hire him full time I am going to put him in charge of advertising..etc. That can take quite a load off of me. Eventually I want to let him have a crew taking care of commercial accounts and then myself sticking with the residential. Hopefully this will work out...who knows.

J Hisch
12-11-2004, 04:57 PM
What I would propose to your buddy is leasing the business from you. Basically he would pay you a set amount in the spring and Fall and when you work together you could pay him by the hour. Say you make 2000.00 wk lease it to him equipment also for 1250.00 he buys gas and maintenance.

The landscaper
12-11-2004, 05:37 PM
I was looking at the idea of having him take over half the business down the road, to take some pressure of me, that way he could take care of advertising and things like that as well, he would always want to grow the business to make more himself. Just my thoughts, Also, he would be more carefuly with equipment and be more apt to watch other employees to keep equipment in good shape.

The landscaper
12-11-2004, 05:58 PM
Do many of you guys have partnerships in this business?

Kelly's Landscaping
12-11-2004, 07:25 PM
A few of us do mine has been very good. With out my partner I would not be looking at making 400-500k next season, which will be our 3rd season in business together. If it works a partner can be a blessing but you will hear from a lot of guys here about how it didn't work and then itís a nightmare. I think you really need to know the person for a long time before trying something like that all it takes is a change in goals and it can fall apart very quickly.

The landscaper
12-11-2004, 08:39 PM
I have heard that it can be a terrible thing. It can ruin friendships and all that. I think this guy has a good work ethic and i think it will help the business more than hurt it. Sounds like your partner has helped you out tremendiously.

lawnranger44
12-12-2004, 07:08 PM
My brother and I are partners. Things work out very well for us and he runs the business while I'm at college. I would hesitate to have a partnership with anyone but my brother tho...

The landscaper
12-12-2004, 08:11 PM
I was thinking of doing the same thing with my cousin who is pretty close to me as well. That was my first thought on the whole deal. I always like the idea of 2 minds are better than one.