PDA

View Full Version : What do you think

The landscaper
12-11-2004, 07:06 PM
What do you think of the great dane super surfer? How does it compare to other stand ons?

rosolar
12-11-2004, 07:13 PM
ii have a 2001 Great Dane surfer with a 17 hp kawi. Have had no majors problems with it. good machine. quick. nice stripes.

The landscaper
12-11-2004, 07:20 PM
Thats about what I was looking at, I think around 2001, 17 kaw.

Lux Lawn
12-11-2004, 07:37 PM
I have 2 of them a 2001 23 horse Kaw. and a 2004 23 horse Kaw. they are both great machines and I will keep buying them until somebody sells me something better.I can't really copare it to the other standers because I have not used them.

blankenshiplawncare
12-11-2004, 08:24 PM
Which one's are John Deere?

promower
12-11-2004, 08:47 PM
I have a 60" surfer and like it, it's fast to.

Itsgottobegreen
12-11-2004, 09:42 PM
Its a ok machine but wright makes a better product. I have ran both the GD and the JDs. So I know what I am talking about. The GD will not handle hills as well as the Wright and its longer wheel base makes it more prone to scalping. The GD's only advange is it has a floating deck.

impactlandscaping
12-12-2004, 01:34 AM
I demoed the new Gen II SS this fall at Expo. I can't say anything bad about them, but I will take my Wrights any day. I feel the controls / hydro response to be much better on the Wrights, as well as comfort from the operator position. I haven't had one area of any lawn where I have scalped with the Stander fixed deck, so the floating deck would be neglible at best. I spent an average of $ 600.00 extra on my walkbehinds to get floating decks, and rarely ever changed the cutting height to get the use from them in that respect. It's all a matter of preference, and I prefer Wright. :D

DuallyVette
12-12-2004, 03:06 AM
I have two origional surfers ( 1997 & 98 22hp Kohlers) They are great. I have a JD 657 (54" stand-up, basically the same as the Super Surfer) The JD cuts great BUT there is too much weight on the front casters. Less hillside stability, more turf damage when turning around ( helps if you stop at the end of your row, back up, and then sling the front around.) The origionals have more weight on the drive wheels and will turn easily and smoothly. You don't even have to think about it. The Wright stander is similarly balanced, but I prefer the old Origional surfer.

Travis Followell
12-12-2004, 09:23 AM
Which one's are John Deere?
The JD's are quick trak's. They are made a lot like the GD.

I like the GD surfers. I've never used on ebut they look like good mowers and I would buy one if I needed it and if there was a dealer close.

The landscaper
12-12-2004, 10:26 PM
Is the 17 kaw enough power, i see all you guys have 22 and 23

Lawnchoice
12-12-2004, 10:32 PM
ii have a 2001 Great Dane surfer with a 17 hp kawi. Have had no majors problems with it. good machine. quick. nice stripes.

Do you have any pictures of the stripes? I am curious to see how they do.

jim dailey
12-12-2004, 10:33 PM
I have 2 of them a 2001 23 horse Kaw. and a 2004 23 horse Kaw. they are both great machines and I will keep buying them until somebody sells me something better.I can't really copare it to the other standers because I have not used them.

What he said. I have an older SURFER, w/22 hp Kohler. Pretty fast.Good control. Stripes nice. Maintenance is simple and seldom. If I have a chance...I'll want another one.

DuallyVette
12-12-2004, 11:23 PM
The JD's are quick trak's. They are made a lot like the GD.

I like the GD surfers. I've never used on ebut they look like good mowers and I would buy one if I needed it and if there was a dealer close.

John Deere bought Great Danes mower line so they wouldn't have to start from scratch for a line of JD mowers. They changed the mower decks and painted them green ( plus several other differences.)

" I've never used one, but they look like good mowers" YEA they sure are PURTY, They'd probably make a good stew too.. GREAT RECOMMENDATION :angry: :angry: :angry:

jim dailey
12-12-2004, 11:44 PM
Is the 17 kaw enough power, i see all you guys have 22 and 23

I know of a guy who has an 18 hp kohler, he says there is plenty of power. I do beleive that the 17 kawi may have more torque than the 18 kohler, though.

DuallyVette
12-13-2004, 12:31 AM
I know of a guy who has an 18 hp kohler, he says there is plenty of power. I do beleive that the 17 kawi may have more torque than the 18 kohler, though.
You can get by with a 17 or 18 hp mower, but when you are behind on your mowing schedule in the spring because the grass is growing so fast 23 or 24 is MINUMUM !!! imho

The landscaper
12-13-2004, 01:54 PM
Do the stand on's need so much extra power compared to a wb. Seems like wb's is same size range tend to be closer to 14-17 hp. you can still ride the velke's on the wbs with the smaller motors

truenorthlandscaping
12-13-2004, 08:25 PM
I agree with the Wright guys. We love the 'stand on' idea for the manueverability, functionality, and efficiency (wow, lots of big words). Really though, I've owned Toro and Gravely walk behinds, have demo'd for short and extended periods many of the major riding mowers, and I'm still sold on the Wright's for their efficiency and safety to the rider. Especially on properties an acre or less, w/lots of hills or obstacles, I've yet to see something other than the stand ons that can come close to matching the efficiency. I know there's a time and place for walk behinds, but I've watched walk behind crews for the past 2 years and shake my head time and again in disbelief over how much more efficient those Wrights are, while delivering a great looking cut. I demo'd a Super Surfer just recently, and have in the past as well. I REALLY wanted to like it, because they've got better distribution and support around here (they've definitely marketed their product well)... I didn't like it. There's a ton of them around, but I think I'll stick to Wright. We've got a 52" Stander w/a 17 HP Kaw and a Centaur w/a 23 HP Kaw. They're both for sale and we'll buy new in the spring. If anyone's interested, contact truenorthlandscaping@yahoo.com.

Travis Followell
12-13-2004, 09:03 PM
John Deere bought Great Danes mower line so they wouldn't have to start from scratch for a line of JD mowers. They changed the mower decks and painted them green ( plus several other differences.)

" I've never used one, but they look like good mowers" YEA they sure are PURTY, They'd probably make a good stew too.. GREAT RECOMMENDATION :angry: :angry: :angry:
Yea Duallyvette, thats my opinion of them. Sorry if you don't like it and what does stew have to do with anything in this thread?

The landscaper
12-14-2004, 10:18 PM
Im going to have to demo them. Like said a couple posts ago, they seem like they should be much more effecient than wb's and riders. you get the best of both worlds.

DuallyVette
12-14-2004, 11:23 PM
Yea Duallyvette, thats my opinion of them. Sorry if you don't like it and what does stew have to do with anything in this thread?

I was being sarcastic. You recommended a mower that you NEVER TRIED, but they looked good. You might as well tell them that it makes a hell of a stew and does windows to boot.