PDA

View Full Version : Truck Trade-In Techniques

Wolfie's L&L
12-11-2004, 08:22 PM
I've been trying for awhile (since June) to try to sell/trade my current personal use truck (1993 Mazda pickup) and get something that runs better and has a larger hauling capacity (both in bed size and trailer hauling size)

Lately I've been going around to different dealerships and looking at possible ideas. Test drove a few. My technique is to try to get the salesperson to go to the lowest possible price that he will take for the vehicle, then ask him what he would give me on a trade in for my truck.

Is this an alright way of "doing business" with the salesperson? The reason why I wait until the end to talk about trading in is because I don't want the salesperson to not go lower on the sticker price because of my trade in.

Thanks for your help!!

Jason

lawncare3
12-11-2004, 08:52 PM
Sounds good to me, but depending on milage u can't get much for that. I had a 89 and got a grand with 4x4. and my neighbor has a 94 he's selling for about $1200

Wolfie's L&L
12-11-2004, 09:20 PM
Sounds good to me, but depending on milage u can't get much for that. I had a 89 and got a grand with 4x4. and my neighbor has a 94 he's selling for about $1200

I was given a trade in offer of $2000 on it (it does have a minor engine defect though). But by the time I went back to check out the truck that I wanted again, it was gone. Mine has a little over 121,000 and it is a 4x4. Kelly Blue Book lists trade in as $2479.

Jason

lawncare3
12-11-2004, 09:40 PM
I say go for it, that a damn good trade in.

olderthandirt
12-11-2004, 10:28 PM
I've been trying for awhile (since June) to try to sell/trade my current personal use truck (1993 Mazda pickup) and get something that runs better and has a larger hauling capacity (both in bed size and trailer hauling size)

Lately I've been going around to different dealerships and looking at possible ideas. Test drove a few. My technique is to try to get the salesperson to go to the lowest possible price that he will take for the vehicle, then ask him what he would give me on a trade in for my truck.

Is this an alright way of "doing business" with the salesperson? The reason why I wait until the end to talk about trading in is because I don't want the salesperson to not go lower on the sticker price because of my trade in.

Thanks for your help!!

Jason

When YOU figure out how much of a difference in price your willing to pay a real good way to get the deal is write a check out for 4-5k and sign it but leave the dealers name off. When they look at the check tell them their name or anothers dealers name can go on the check, its up to them. And be prepared to leave, never had it go that far though :D You know what they say about a bird in the hand.

Mac

lamarbur
12-11-2004, 11:17 PM
olderthan dirt
you must have some old "Yankee" in you,, that's the way they operate,, Always seem to show a check filled out for 4 to 6 grand sans a dealers name,,, they also seem to get great deals,, especially after the deal is "almost done" then the "BTW" what is that old truck out there worth as trade with the check

dwc
12-12-2004, 11:41 PM
I usually get them to either go retail price for theirs and they can give me retail for my trade in or we go wholesale for theirs and wholesale for my trade. Works out about the same amount of money either way. Don't let them give you wholesale for yours and retail for theirs though.
Also, when you sit down to talk numbers, you can have them do the figures for their vehicle and for your vehicle so that way they don't pull a fast one.

jimslawns
12-12-2004, 11:52 PM
Be stern with em, if you have been in several times "kicking tires" they know that. Look online too, sometimes you can find dealers selling similar vehicles online and they will post a price, it may be their "sale" price however if they are willing to sell it at that price they are obviously making something on it. Cash in Hand always help encouage them.

Most car sales guys don't make much on a single sale, they are paid a salary and more on selling things like mait. contaracts and other extras.

Carolina Cutter
12-13-2004, 10:05 AM
Be stern with em, if you have been in several times "kicking tires" they know that. Look online too, sometimes you can find dealers selling similar vehicles online and they will post a price, it may be their "sale" price however if they are willing to sell it at that price they are obviously making something on it. Cash in Hand always help encouage them.

Most car sales guys don't make much on a single sale, they are paid a salary and more on selling things like mait. contaracts and other extras.

I agree about being ster with them. However its all a game.

As far as the "salary" thing goes I can tell you that what they get paid is a "draw", or in other words kinda like a loan. They must pay this draw back with the profits made from the car sells and then once that is paid back they make their money from the overage of the draw. THe draw is usually like $250 a week. There have actually been salespeople to quit due to getting in too deep and not being able to cover the draw money and never really making anything. Ever notice how there are always new salespeople at the lot everytime? This is why. I know this because I used to sell for Ford.

Randy Scott
12-13-2004, 02:29 PM
A person purchasing a vehicle needs to do their research. Do it with the cost of new and what your trade should roughly be worth. You also should think about trying to establish a relationship with a local dealer you feel you can trust and in fact build this relationship. They can and WILL be an asset to your company just like any other equipment dealer or supplier.

I would suggest treating them as you would like to be treated in your business. Everyone here talks about customers trying to squeeze you down on pricing and pry everything out of you. Think about that and how you feel when you're making your next auto purchase. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

I know it's tough, and many auto salesman are jag-offs. Unfortunately you may have to beat a few dealerships down looking for the right person. It's no different than anything else. You know, they need to make a living like we do. Maybe if people treated others more like they want to be treated, you wouldn't have to turn to trickery.

Besides, any reputable salesman, will know the game, and will have to be honest and he/she will tell you what can be done to arrive at a fair deal. So if you think you can trick a person into some screaming deal, think again.