PDA

View Full Version : ??why no JOHN DEERE??

Shane Nelson
01-24-2001, 07:00 PM
Last year was my first year in bizz.I started out with one
52"John Deere w/b,one jdxj140 weed eater,jd backpack blower.
I was extremely happy with my equipment,I had not one problem at all with any piece.And I feel like I had an exeptional first year of bizz.I also had jd hedge trimmers.Im just wondering why i never hear any of you other pros out there using John Deere.Is my choice a bad one.If it is please tell me why.As of now im a believer in Deere equipment.But if there is a good reason to change please let me know,and why.IVE never used any other comm equip so i could use your opinions
THANKS
SHANE

kutnkru
01-24-2001, 07:29 PM
I use Exmark and Robin because J-Deere is so much more expensive.

My advice about equipment is this:
If it isnt broke - Dont fix it!

If you are haveing impeccable results from your equipment, are currently extatic with the production results, customer service is great, I wouldnt change a thing.

I see many who are using ride on equipment on here as well. I will not be purchasing any riders any time soon as we are continually receiving calls from potential clients who are interested in our services because we wont show up with "tractors" to mow their lawns.

Hope this helps.
Kris

Shane Nelson
01-24-2001, 08:05 PM
Thanks KRIS

thelawnguy
01-24-2001, 08:59 PM
I started with a JD WB and still have it, JD equipment is pricey to buy but its quality stuff but if you run a crew why give em a 3500 mower when a 2200 one will do just as fine, heck its not you working it 10 hrs a day ;)

Shane Nelson
01-25-2001, 08:07 AM
THANKS LAWNGUY

davesgs75
01-25-2001, 11:40 AM
Shane

you are not the only one using JD's. i have a 48" GS75 walk behind that i use a velke with. have use it since July 0f 98. I have been very pleased with it. It has held up great and the quality of the cut is excellent. I did not see what area you are in, but here in N Alabama JD's are widely used. They are pricey but I have always went with you get what you pay for. The JD dealer here has now became an Exmark dealer the first in town, so they will probaly catch on, and Toro is gaining ground.
I have never used thier trimmers or blowers. The dealer here carries Shindiwia ( if i spelled that right) so i went with it on my edger and plan to purchase a back pack blower hopeful this season.

Hope you have as good luck with your JD as i have had.

SpringValley
01-25-2001, 02:12 PM
We use primarily John Deere equipment. For me, it was a personal choice that has become a business decision. I felt I bought my F620 ZTR at a great price. It was only $500 more than a Toro. Now, we use exclusively JD for our big equipment. I have two Echo SRM2100 trimmers, a Stihl BR400 back pack blower and two Toro 21" mowers. The JD back pack blower starts on the first pull every time. I have been ready to pitch the Stihl more than once, my wife hates it, 7-8 pulls to start everytime. The JD was $50 more but is more powerful and starts so much easier. I plan on going with a JD trimmer next season as I need another one. We are the only company that used JD equipment to mow residential yards. John Deere is a company that is progressive and has the reputation that people recognize. It is a company I am proud to be associated with.
We also have a 1960 JD 430W utility tractor, 2cyl, runs great and makes that unique sound, and a 1999 JD 250 skid steer. I plan on a new F680 this year and will eventually replace all my hand held equipment with JD as needed. Stick with the Green to make green.

Matt

Eric ELM
01-25-2001, 04:23 PM
I still have a JD 430, but it isn't used for mowing since I got ZTRs. I started out with using the JD's and ended up buying 4 new mowers from my dealer in 5 years, but every time they broke down, it would go to the end of the line waiting for repairs. It didn't mean a thing to them that I made my living with them. After realizing that the Green Paint cost to much Green, I switched to Stainless Steel and when I went to the Chopper dealer that ended up being my dealer, I noticed there were no machines there for repair. When I went back to pick it up, there were no machines in for repair. The longest I have had to wait for a repair the few times I have had to go in was 2 hours. That sure beats the 5 days to a week I waited at the JD dealer. I feel John Deere waited 20 years to long to get into the ZTR market. I don't know of any other Lawn CO. up in this area that uses them.

So far I guess there are 4 of us that have John Deere's, but only 3 of you mow with them. Mine is used for aerating and snow removal only now.

Currier
01-25-2001, 04:30 PM
My Walker dealer is also a JD dealer. Deere is their main thing. I buy my handheld equip. from them and am looking forward to buying a 21 inch commercial one of these days. I say that trying to justify $1100.00 for a 21 inch! (it'll never happen). My point is, I really like John Deere equipment, but it is pricey. Another example of getting what you pay for.

AltaLawnCare
01-25-2001, 05:05 PM
I have a 345 that I purchased used from my local JD dealer. I'm pretty satisfied with it. I want to stick with JD equipment because the dealer is only about 10 minutes from where I live. Even though I'm new in this and haven't spent much money with his dealership (yet) he has always made me feel important and provided excellent service. They also keep a good selection of used equipment (commercial). A local outfit here uses a JD Z-track, after talking with him he left me with the impression he likes his also. I've seen some Woods ZTRs locally also but haven't heard much about them, or read much about them on this forum.
And, I got to admit, I really do like that green and yellow paint.

JeffC
01-25-2001, 10:01 PM
I stared out with a 180 jd that a bought from the bank a repo for $1500.00 I used for about 5 years put a lot of hours on it I put a $75.00 paint job on it and sold it for $1400.00 and i have had other until that i have traded with the dealer and they have aloud me more on trade than i would put it in the papper for sale and without a big mark up i always do my homework when i spend money.i keep my units looking good and serviced also you may pay more for the green but for me it has always paid out when selling or trading.

Grasscape Inc
05-26-2001, 10:23 AM
We use JD commercial equipment, including the f680. The JD dealer here is superb. 750 hours on the F680 in 1 year, with only a few repairs(under warranty) It just keeps going..
We also use JD handheld equpiment, but prefer RedMax.

CLARKE
05-26-2001, 03:57 PM
I have owned my bussiness for 16 yrs now. The things
that go wrong is after 500 to 700 hrs you will have
for give my spelling TRANMISSION problem because you
operate them or turn them with tranmission, signs are
when they can't ajust the linkage any more it interal.
To take the tranmission a part take 3to4 hrs plus put
it back togeter 3to4 plus new gears =about $900.00.
Or when this happins you trade it in they give you
about 1000 to 1500 take that off a new one $3600,
I did this for about 10 years now i own 2 DIXIE CHOPPERS
THEY DON'T BREAK DOWN. You pay 2 times the amont but it
worth it. P.S. THINKS I'VE OWNED 1ST 2YRS 36IN BOBCAT
YRS 3&4 48IN TORO YRS 5THUR13 THE 48IN JOHN DEERS, NOW
YEAR 14 BOUGHT A 54 ZTR LESCO Had 3 wheel motors go bad
left a line in my cut they never could get the deck flat
theres alot more oh it burned blue smoke every time you
would start it cold even after 350hrs and finely they
bought it back from me $4800 i payed 6400. +lot of loss time.
Sorry about the LONG POST YOU GOT ME GOING. NOW ITS DIXIES CHOPPERS
ALL THE WAY.

Eric ELM
05-26-2001, 04:10 PM
Clarke, you wrote THEY DON'T BREAK DOWN which is wrong. They will break down, but I have found out that they hold up much, much better the previous brand I used. :)

jdjoe_97
05-26-2001, 05:39 PM
I currently run a 99 JD 455 60" AWS, and two JD M665's
. The M665's are absolutely the best cutting machines I have seen.
I also own three antique JD's one of which is 61 years old and starts
on the first throw of the flywheel. I do agree they are expensive. But I have 700 hrs on the 455 NO breakdowns. Also have owned a F935, (2) 212's, 318, (2) 110's. I currently have the mowers I mentioned and a 1965 JD 110, 1941 JD B, 1949 JD MT, 1951 JD MT, 1970 JD 112. Simply the qualtiy of craftsmansip and dealer service have been excellent. Some of you guys who don't buy soley due to price should shop around. When I last made a trade I traded the F935 on a pair of new JD m665's. Called three dealers One was 5,000 CHEAPER!!! So I drove 70 miles, it was worth it. I am very very happy with my equipment. The ZTR's can be had for 8K up here. They kick my 00' 721D Grasshopper's BUTT!! Joe

lawnman_scott
05-26-2001, 05:44 PM
I have had the same problem that Eric had with his JD that i had with my toro. Too many homeowners have them, and too much of a wait. I wont buy anything if they sell homeowner stuff anymore.

TFL
05-27-2001, 12:44 AM
all of my trimmers blowers hedge trimmers and chain saws are deere they are expensive but i haven't found better service anywhere i mow over half of my dealers employees yards including the dealer and i run new holland lawn tractors

Eric ELM
05-27-2001, 12:55 AM
JD JOE, you wrote: The M665's are absolutely the best cutting machines I have seen.

One thing my 430 did was stripe nice. Does your M665's stripe nice and could you post some pictures of the cut? I keep hearing how nice your's cut. Can we see some pictures?

I still have not seen one mowing around here. I did see one at one of the JD dealers. The other JD dealer close by me refuses to even order one of them. He said he would never stock one.

geogunn
05-27-2001, 01:00 AM
the JD/wb's are very popular in my area, just like the gravleys.

I've demoed a couple JD wbs and it seems they have a screwey hands on operator presence safety switch and the adjustable deck thing is made of potmetal. but the big turn off was the dealer. more than independent, the two that I have visited, are outragous! when you've got homeowners willing to pay what the do for those four wheel fat boys they ride on Saturday morning, they don't care if the sell anything else.

GEO

Grasscape Inc
05-27-2001, 10:23 AM
This is the striping the F680 Ztrack does

No additonal striping kit.

54" 7iron Deck

OBRYANMAINT
05-27-2001, 10:47 AM
i started 3 years ago with a gs 45 it was actually cheaper than the same model scag.....it did take a beating and keeps going...but it never did disperse the clipping good clumps bad in wet grass....still have it still runs good but run a walker and sentar now and they both mow better

Eric ELM
05-27-2001, 11:37 AM
All I am getting is a full page and a little bitty X. Is anyone able to download this picture to view or is it just me.

Please post to let me know. Thanks

Runner
05-27-2001, 11:56 AM
No, I'm not able to load it either. Anyway, to answer the question, I have two JD walkbehinds, 52 in. with the Briggs 16hp IC horizontal straight twins. Great motors. As far as tranny troubles, I've had none exept on had a leak at one time, and required a new seal-no biggie. By the way, how OLD are these machines? Well, one is an '84, the other is an '85. Granted, I never use them anymore, I like to keep them around "just in case." They both run like...well, like Deeres.

glewis
05-27-2001, 12:24 PM
I'm currently using a John Deere 655 Z Trax with a 54 inch 7 Iron Deck and I'm very pleased. I'm also using a John Deere Commercial push mower for small jobs. The best trimmers I've found are the new Honda Trimmers with the 4 stroke engines. I was advised by a several equipment dealers that Honda was controlling the market on the 4 stroke trimmers. Overall I prefer the John Deere equipment and do not regret paying an extra thousand dollars for my 655.:blob3:

Eric ELM
05-27-2001, 12:33 PM
Grasscapes, it works now. The server had a little problem that Pierre fixed after I told him about it.

It looks like you mow the exact same striping pattern each time you mow it. I don't see any other angle or cross striping. It does look nice though. ;)

Grasscape Inc
05-27-2001, 02:25 PM
Just the first mow of the season. Has diamond cut now. Just posted to show striping ability of 7Iron JD deck. Will get more pics..

lee b
05-27-2001, 05:31 PM
Deere works great for me. I wish some of ya'll would at least demo one with the 7-iron deck, this ain't the same machine as the lawn tractors. I'll put my M665 up against any other mower in my conditions. It's the only mower, that I've seen that can handle bahia grass at speed and cut it all. It cuts just as smooth as a chopper or lazer, and will handle way thicker grass. If ya'll would just try one, I know you'd be pleasently surprised, it is a really good mower.:blob3:

chris54
05-28-2001, 01:35 AM
I've got a '99 935, 27 hp, 72"cut and a '01 Exmark same hp and cut and the ex runs circles around it. Wait forever for parts, they claim to have had a warehouse burn down. must have had every part you can buy in that warehouse. I demoed the 1400 and the Ex was still unbeatable.

Atlantic Lawn
05-28-2001, 07:39 AM
We had a dealer who sold the heck out of em' around here. They financed anyone and everything, consequently we have loads of JD equipment around here. He went out of Biz two years later.They had a very attractive financing. I think JD makes pretty good mowers I really don't care for their other equipment.

jdjoe_97
05-28-2001, 10:11 AM
Well Eric I don't have a digital camera yet. It is on the list
of things I want when I don't have bills!!. It you want to take a look
at my work with the mowers drive down to Auburn IN, Kruse/Ebay Auction park where they have one of the largest old car acutions in the country. I mow 14 acres for them with two M665's. I used to use the 455, grasshopper and a f935 72". I can get done 1/2 hour faster with just two M665's. I am not saying they are the best, but the decks flow the best and are indistructable. Joe

sgreanbean
05-28-2001, 07:38 PM
I live right dap smack in the middle of deer company, THE QUAD CITIES. hardly any body uses deere here. you would think that they would want the home team to use their products and give us a price we can handle. No way! i priced a deer up by u eric and it was 1000 more here!Like you said eric, way to much green to drive a green,
They say nothing runs like a deere. Except a LCO after he sees the price!