PDA

View Full Version : mowing and man hours

BobwithECLC
12-11-2004, 11:39 PM
How much do you charge per man hour for mowing? Do you have different rates for commercial and residential? When I say mowing I am meaning mow,trim and blow.

BobwithECLC
12-12-2004, 12:05 AM
I guess it would help if, I put up this disclaimer. I have been in the business for about 4-5 years and am really trying to get a better understanding of the business side of what we do. And would like some help in learning how some contractors come up with the price per mow. I think it is great to know what other people are charging per cut. I am just wanting to learn how to come up with that number.

bettergrass
12-12-2004, 12:09 AM
45 residential if its not a pita... 40 commercial depending on if its flat and how much trimming. its like anything else in business...price drops with volume.

BobwithECLC
12-12-2004, 12:12 AM
I have been looking at my numbers and it seemed that my price per cut was a little low. I was revising my numbers and it seemed that 45 per man hour seemed more in the ball park. which would make my minimum go from around 27 to between 30 and $32.00 per cut

bettergrass
12-12-2004, 12:24 AM
so your minimum cut for any lawn is 32.... my minimum is 25 right now, and the smallest residential i do takes 2 guys 30 mins. i just round up to 25

YardPro
12-12-2004, 06:36 AM
so your minimum cut for any lawn is 32.... my minimum is 25 right now, and the smallest residential i do takes 2 guys 30 mins. i just round up to 25

that's only $25.00/hr
WAY TOO LOW

when windshield time is figured in it is even less.

you should be getting $40+ for yards like that

BobwithECLC
12-12-2004, 10:24 AM
that's only $25.00/hr
WAY TOO LOW

when windshield time is figured in it is even less.

you should be getting $40+ for yards like that

I see a lot of guys talking numbers in this area, which makes me realize that I need to find better quality customers. Because the mid-end customers that we have start to flinch when you get around 30 dollars a cut. We don't need to lower our prices we just need to find better quality customers.

Richard Martin
12-12-2004, 10:25 AM
I shoot for an average of $50 an hour now. My range is $25 an hour for a couple of small PITAs to $75 an hour for the good ones. The average lawn around here is 1/4 acre +/- and I generally charge $40/45.

bobbygedd
12-12-2004, 10:33 AM
I see a lot of guys talking numbers in this area, which makes me realize that I need to find better quality customers. Because the mid-end customers that we have start to flinch when you get around 30 dollars a cut. We don't need to lower our prices we just need to find better quality customers.
you can't create better "better quality" customers. they start to crindge when it gets around $30 ? well there you have it, like i always said, the lawn boys before you, and the lawn boys around you, have set your price. there is not much you can do about that, except become more efficient, or make it up in extras.

lawnranger44
12-12-2004, 11:57 AM
We are making about $40-50 now per man hour. Started out making $15 per man hour :rolleyes: , then we got better equipment, got more efficient, and raised prices slightly. Now we're cruisin :cool:

bettergrass
12-12-2004, 03:17 PM
i didnt mean i do 25 a man hour minimum....i said i drop the trailer for 25 min right now.

that is cause the smallest lawn that i service takes 15 mins on avg with 2 man...equals a half man hour...which i charge 50 a man hour....so that lawn comes out to a 25dollar cut

sorry yard pro i meant it takes two guys 15 mins....im not that cheap

KCLandscape
12-12-2004, 05:23 PM
It seems that 1$ per min on the lawn works for us. I can drive by a property and give them a price of whatever...35...45...ect.
When we get the job and do the property, for a 35$ mow it takes 2 guys approx 15 minutes, 20 at the most the first time through. Our goal is to "work through" the property and cut time by being more efficient as we get to know the property better. So if it took 20 min the first time we can usually knock off AT LEAST 5 min by the 3rd or 4th time through. Might lose a little in the beginning to get the systems up and working, but you will make more on the other side. If we cannot make the systems work at that price, I talk to the property owner and renegotiate the price. I have only had to do that 2 times in 10 yrs.

YardPro
12-12-2004, 07:23 PM
you can't create better "better quality" customers. they start to crindge when it gets around $30 ? well there you have it, like i always said, the lawn boys before you, and the lawn boys around you, have set your price. there is not much you can do about that, except become more efficient, or make it up in extras.

he didn't say CREATE
he said FIND
and yes, he cn FIND better customers.
alot of people don't want a cheap lawn service. they want a quality service and are willing to pay for it.

YardPro
12-12-2004, 07:24 PM
i didnt mean i do 25 a man hour minimum....i said i drop the trailer for 25 min right now.

that is cause the smallest lawn that i service takes 15 mins on avg with 2 man...equals a half man hour...which i charge 50 a man hour....so that lawn comes out to a 25dollar cut

sorry yard pro i meant it takes two guys 15 mins....im not that cheap

that sounds much more like it.

i read that and almost spit out my coffee on the screen......:)

bettergrass
12-12-2004, 07:42 PM
hahaa yea 25 a man hour is pretty rediculos...ive gone down to 35 a man hour for a single lady who didnt have much money....takes 2 guys half hour...not much trimming and its all flat. one of those lawns i dont really mind cutting

captaingreen
12-12-2004, 07:52 PM
I would say about $40.00/hour is the average here. There is quite a wide gap between the cheapest and most expensive in our area. I am somewhere in the middle, however my quality is at the level of our most expensive, I sell my quality and dependability, that's my niche and my customers pay for it with no problem.