PDA

View Full Version : Tractor and gang rotary for large area

wpines
12-12-2004, 10:46 AM
I'm considering getting a 12 or 15 foot gang rotary like a befco or a woods for large area mowing. I've got a 35 HP tractor. Anyone have any experience with these?

ouimguy
12-12-2004, 11:37 AM
I have a 3 differnt types of gang rotarys, what size property are you thinking about using it on, and what type of obstructions are on the property? That make a huge difference.

out4now
12-12-2004, 12:41 PM
Have you considered going with a flail setup? Would be less damage if you hit something hidden in an overgrown area. Sort of like these http://www.tiger-mowers.com/products/flail/triple_gang_flail.asp

olderthandirt
12-12-2004, 05:54 PM
I'm considering getting a 12 or 15 foot gang rotary like a befco or a woods for large area mowing. I've got a 35 HP tractor. Anyone have any experience with these?
Better check with the manufacturer of the mowers, I think your way under powered for any thing over a 9' gang. They eat up hp.

Mac

Travis Followell
12-12-2004, 06:02 PM
Mac is right, 35 hp is not enough. You'd want a 50 hp tractor at the least but what ever mowers you are looking at look at the tractor requirements in the specifications on the mowers and it tells you how much hp you need to run it.

osc
12-12-2004, 06:09 PM
I wouldn't recommend flail mowers unless you are doing highways or bush hog grade cutting. I have a John Deere 4500 4wd tractor and an 11.5' Befco flex mower. The cut quality is very good and the Befco is the workhorse of our golf course, mowing down 30+ acres of rough every week. But... the Befco came with the real estate and I would rather have a Woods or Landpride. The Befco is not as heavy duty as the other two.
Old Dirt is right, 35 horses is not enough. I think most of the manufacturers say atleast 40 horse for the smaller batwings.