PDA

View Full Version : Slinging Fill Dirt?

saktate
12-12-2004, 10:50 AM
My home was built in 1920 and is elevated, with about 3 foot of crawl space. I'd like to add fill dirt under the house and eliminate some large depressions that will hold water for a few days after a hard rain. Is there any type of equipment or service that can pump sand or fill dirt to prevent me from spending the entire summer on my hands and knees moving fill by hand?

UNISCAPER
12-12-2004, 12:30 PM
How about a conveyor? Or, you could pump concrete into the holes. Just direct the hose into the holes, strike off the top and you are good to go.

JB1
12-12-2004, 12:34 PM
Check with some companies that blow mulch , some have the ability to blow topsoil.

earthwerks unlimited
12-16-2004, 07:53 PM
Around here in Michigan we have what are called "shooters" or "chuters" for slinging material. Cost is about $100 an hour plus the cost of material (average $20 per yard). Depending on material they can "shoot" as much as 20 feet from the end of the conveyor which can be 20-30 feet long. You'll need an opening in the foundation approx. 24" sq to be safe in which to place the conveyor.

saktate
12-16-2004, 11:54 PM
Sounds interesting and certainly capable for my needs. I've got the opening with room to spare. I'll look into availability in New Orleans area.

Mdirrigation
12-17-2004, 09:54 PM
You have a water problem , adding dirt to the inside will not solve the problem , only make mud . Find the lowest point and install a sump pump , you can go around the inside perimiter of the foundation and dig a trench and install drain tile and stone and send the water to the pump , discharge the water thru the wall and away from the foundation. This is less work than filling with dirt , and when done properly will work perfectly.

TerraFirma Excavating
12-18-2004, 12:39 AM
You have a water problem , adding dirt to the inside will not solve the problem , only make mud . Find the lowest point and install a sump pump , you can go around the inside perimiter of the foundation and dig a trench and install drain tile and stone and send the water to the pump , discharge the water thru the wall and away from the foundation. This is less work than filling with dirt , and when done properly will work perfectly.

Great answer. You may also want to grade the area around the house to ensure positive drainage. Gutters and downspouts will also help.

saktate
12-18-2004, 10:34 AM
I intend to install gutters and downspouts and will also adjust the grade. I was not concerned about this water having a negative effect on the foundation. There does not appear to be any settleing. All windows (46) and doors in the house are square and function. When you say there's a water problem, do you mean with the foundation or attracting termites or something else?

I spent last summer removing everything from underneath the house that was placed or accumuated there over the last 80 plus years. The debris filled a 20 foot container - twice! I'm currently adding cross blocking to the floor joists which are on 24 inch centers to take some bounce out of my floors. The small pools of water make this a messy job. You've got me wondering if this is a more seriuos matter. Appreciate all the sugggestions. Thanks.

Mdirrigation
12-18-2004, 05:23 PM
First ,is it ground water or rain run off ? You have to determine the source. Then you want to control where the water goes , with drain tile , stone and then sending it all to the sump pump pit , whish then pumps the water away from the house . You also want to make sure there is some cross ventelation under the house . ( you dont want mold or mildew) . Depending on the clearance this could be a easy job . But it could become a serious matter over time .