PDA

View Full Version : how would YOU PAY, cash or check?

bobbygedd
12-12-2004, 10:53 AM
you call a plumber. he comes. he says to do the job will be $300 if you pay by cash, or $350+tax($371 total) if you pay by check. would you choose the cash option, or the check option?

s and s mowing
12-12-2004, 10:55 AM
cash,bobby,cash

Premo Services
12-12-2004, 10:59 AM
I think it would be kind of ballzy for a service company doing any type of service to even tell you that you can get it cheeper if you pay cash. He does not even know if you are someone who works for the irs or something like that. I would only pay with a check, credit card and a receipt, because that is the only form of payment that I accept for my business.

grass_cuttin_fool
12-12-2004, 10:59 AM
71 bux buys a few silver bullets lol

BryPaulD
12-12-2004, 11:03 AM
what's the rate for a CASHiers check?? :p

cutnedge
12-12-2004, 11:09 AM
71 bux buys a few silver bullets lol
or a nice wager on the daily double. payup

lawnman_scott
12-12-2004, 11:09 AM
Do I still get a receipt if I pay cash? I would be leaning towards cash.

bobbygedd
12-12-2004, 11:24 AM
Do I still get a receipt if I pay cash? I would be leaning towards cash.
i'm sure he'd give you a scribbled reciept on the back of a page from the racing form, umm, i uh, mean a paper bag or something.

Shawns Lawns
12-12-2004, 11:34 AM
the day before thanksgiving we had to have work done on the water line and they told us that if we paid cash we could save $100. So we paid and saved and still got a receipt. If he reports that as income is his business, mine was saving as much as i could.

mbella
12-12-2004, 11:35 AM
I think it would be kind of ballzy for a service company doing any type of service to even tell you that you can get it cheeper if you pay cash. He does not even know if you are someone who works for the irs or something like that. I would only pay with a check, credit card and a receipt, because that is the only form of payment that I accept for my business.

I would pay cash and get a cash receipt. Why is it "ballzy" to offer a cash discount. What if the plumber doesn't have any money in the bank and knows that the bank will place a hold on the check. In order to avoid the hassle he offers a cash discount. It is not illegal.

desert rose gardening
12-12-2004, 12:00 PM
This is Lawnsite not Plumbersite.

lawnman_scott
12-12-2004, 12:06 PM
This is Lawnsite not Plumbersite.
Well then why not post a picture of a leaf loader, God knows we need a few million more of those. What do you do with your leaves anyway?

tonygreek
12-12-2004, 12:11 PM
is that plumber the owner, or is he an employee? if the latter, i'd assume he's clearly trying to rip-off his employer. if that's the case, wouldn't you as business owner want to know this?

as for what's wrong with a cash option vs. a check, that's a pretty steep discount for cash, even if the guy had a problem cashing checks and seeing the actual money until the next business day. i guess desperation can make you do unprofitable things.

dishboy
12-12-2004, 12:27 PM
We had a electrician who had moved some lines for us previosly come out because we had a wall outlet go dead. It took him about 20 minutes to isolate and fix the repair.

I told him I just went to the bank and could pay him with cash or a check. He gave me a great price and took the cash. I do not assume he was not going to report this as income, but on a small job I am sure it simplifies things and saves him time as he does not have to process a check through his bank and this is worth something to him thus he only had to charge his minumum service fee. He did give me a receipt.

out4now
12-12-2004, 12:31 PM
Since I'd probably never have 300 in cash just lying around I'd probably pay with a check, not only that if it was a plumber and the work got screwed up I'd wan tsomething to prove he was there and got paid so I could use it to recover any damages.

Mats
12-12-2004, 12:33 PM
It is not illegal.

Precisely.

Lots of businesses will give you a cash discount (5% or so) if you pay for a largish ($100+) purchase with cash. They don't have to wait a month for Visa to credit their account and they avoid the 4% credit card fee.

geogunn
12-12-2004, 12:45 PM
Lots of businesses will give you a cash discount (5% or so) if you pay for a largish ($100+) purchase with cash. They don't have to wait a month for Visa to credit their account and they avoid the 4% credit card fee.

any buisness that does this is in violation of their service agreement.

GEO

sildoc
12-12-2004, 12:50 PM
Think about this. Plumber, usually a onece in a long while person that visits you. He does not know your credit. So why would he not want to reduce his headaches and take cash over check. A check he has to wait a min of 5 days and there is a chance that it bounces. If it bounces you get charged a fee and you also have to go collect cash from the person that wrote you a bad check.
Why not save yourself the hastle and get cash from the start.

rodfather
12-12-2004, 12:58 PM
Now where did I put my wallet? Period

coastallandscapesolutions
12-12-2004, 02:11 PM
you call a plumber. he comes. he says to do the job will be $300 if you pay by cash, or $350+tax($371 total) if you pay by check. would you choose the cash option, or the check option?

In GOD we trust.... all others CASH!

tonygreek
12-12-2004, 02:22 PM
"A check he has to wait a min of 5 days "
5 days? maybe if the issuing bank is on one coast and you are on the other, but that was prior to Check 21. Should now only be 2 days at a maximum, and likely only 1 day.

geogunn, the issue of discount for cash vs. using a credit card is an issue of semantics, and if done correctly does not affect your merchant account service agreement. stating a discount for cash is different than stating there is a surcharge for credit card use. surcharges for credit card use is a violation of federal law.

Woody82986
12-12-2004, 04:05 PM
Cash, definately the cash option. You can save a bundle of money if you build your own house by asking if workers will do the work for less if you pay cash. It happens all the time.

mbella
12-12-2004, 04:13 PM
is that plumber the owner, or is he an employee? if the latter, i'd assume he's clearly trying to rip-off his employer. if that's the case, wouldn't you as business owner want to know this?

as for what's wrong with a cash option vs. a check, that's a pretty steep discount for cash, even if the guy had a problem cashing checks and seeing the actual money until the next business day. i guess desperation can make you do unprofitable things.

The price to do the work, if paid for in cash, was $300.00. I would assume this included profit.

TURF DOCTOR
12-12-2004, 04:46 PM
You should reply hey how about a few food stamps.

Harleyboy52
12-12-2004, 04:53 PM
Cash...... CoastalGreenscapes wishes he had received cash about two weeks ago. Even a cashiers check can be bad. Sorry to bring up a bad memory but it was the first thing I thought of while reading this.

JCW-G
12-12-2004, 08:04 PM
Cash, I pay cash for everything I can. believe it or not, I bought my truck,equipment,even my house and the land it's on with CASH. CASH IS KING.

lawnwizards
12-12-2004, 11:16 PM
Around here the gas stations offer you .07cents off per gallon if you pay with cash... hell, a discount is a discount no matter how you look at it....

lawnwizards.

geogunn
12-13-2004, 01:09 AM
geogunn, the issue of discount for cash vs. using a credit card is an issue of semantics, and if done correctly does not affect your merchant account service agreement. stating a discount for cash is different than stating there is a surcharge for credit card use. surcharges for credit card use is a violation of federal law.

tony--semantics or whatever, what you say is simply wrong.

I have formerly accepted VISA/MC and I know what the agreement said.

GEO

JimLewis
12-13-2004, 04:30 AM
If he fixed my problem, and I could tell he fixed it (e.g. clogged drain or toilet or broken pipe) then sure, I'd pay cash. No problem! Daddy didn't raise no dummy!

walker-talker
12-13-2004, 06:48 AM
I vote for cash also. I think I would demand a reciept, just in case I had problems with whatever it was that he fixed, but cash would be no problem if it meant I was going to save $50 + tax.

PMLAWN
12-13-2004, 07:56 AM
Is this your house or business? Your house than sure- cash. But if it is something that you can write off as a business expence than you need to get the paper work and he has to be OK with the IRS knowing about the transaction. If he is giving paperwork than cash. If not I will stay legal and pay the taxes along with the added money as it will come back to me,(the business)

tonygreek
12-13-2004, 12:37 PM
<"tony--semantics or whatever, what you say is simply wrong.
I have formerly accepted VISA/MC and I know what the agreement said.
GEO">

Geo, "formerly" is the key word in your comments. if you are going to accept credit cards in the future, you may want to brush up on federal law changes, and specifically title 15, section 1666f. what i posted regarding the issue is "simply" fact:

----------------------------------------------------------------
TITLE 15--COMMERCE AND TRADE

CHAPTER 41--CONSUMER CREDIT PROTECTION

SUBCHAPTER I--CONSUMER CREDIT COST DISCLOSURE

Part D--Credit Billing

Sec. 1666f. Inducements to cardholders by sellers of cash
discounts for payments by cash, check or similar means; finance
charge for sales transactions involving cash discounts

(a) Cash discounts

With respect to credit card which may be used for extensions of
credit in sales transactions in which the seller is a person other than
the card issuer, the card issuer may not, by contract, or otherwise,
prohibit any such seller from offering a discount to a cardholder to
induce the cardholder to pay by cash, check, or similar means rather
than use a credit card.

(b) Finance charge

With respect to any sales transaction, any discount from the regular
price offered by the seller for the purpose of inducing payment by cash,
checks, or other means not involving the use of an open-end credit plan
or a credit card shall not constitute a finance charge as determined
under section 1605 of this title if such discount is offered to all
prospective buyers and its availability is disclosed clearly and
conspicuously.

Drew Gemma
12-13-2004, 07:03 PM
Cash money is money plus you save a couple of bucks.

But here is a better one in this big town near me a lawyer used to have his clients pay him with drugs especially cocaine. What a deal if your a crack head. He just lost his job now he's in prison. So next time you adk your customer will that be be cash or crack think twice.

boatdude
01-03-2005, 08:39 PM
When I first read this thread two weeks ago I thought Bobby was going to use it to make a brilliant point. But since he didn't (probably forgot about it while in Florida) I'll pick up the slack ;-) If the plumber offered you that big of a discount you could only assume one thing...it was not going to be reported as taxable income! (I know several of you have rationalized it in other ways but you are kidding yourselves) By paying cash you would be supporting an illegal operator in the plumbing business. Somewhere in cyberspace there is a plumbingsite.com were plumbing company owners go to cry about how people in THEIR industry who don't pay taxes are not legitimate plumbers and they make it tough for the legitimate ones to make a living. To all who said they would pay cash...no more crying about other operators who you suspect are not reporting income...