PDA

View Full Version : weed control

malliso
12-12-2004, 10:46 AM
I just reseeded a lawn around the 1rst of november here in tennessee and am using the fertilome fert program.My problem is that I have grass growing and just winterized a week ago, but I am wondering if there is anything I can do for weed control now such as clover and dichondra.I know some say to wait till summer and do 2 crabgrass treatments but they are included in the fert apps.....Is there anything I can do now to kill the clover and dichondra without harming the new grass?

dishboy
12-12-2004, 11:31 AM
I just reseeded a lawn around the 1rst of november here in tennessee and am using the fertilome fert program.My problem is that I have grass growing and just winterized a week ago, but I am wondering if there is anything I can do for weed control now such as clover and dichondra.I know some say to wait till summer and do 2 crabgrass treatments but they are included in the fert apps.....Is there anything I can do now to kill the clover and dichondra without harming the new grass?

The information I have is after three mowings it is OK to use a broadleaf weed killer.

malliso
12-12-2004, 12:06 PM
Yeah I have heard that too about broadleaf killers but I just wonder the effects it has on the new grass.I have msma but I cant use it till summer but am curious about using ortho weedbgon just to kill the clover for now,seems that the clover is choking the new grass out I am afraid that it could choke it out right now and next spring ill have a bare spot there if i dont do sumthing

dishboy
12-12-2004, 12:32 PM
Yeah I have heard that too about broadleaf killers but I just wonder the effects it has on the new grass.I have msma but I cant use it till summer but am curious about using ortho weedbgon just to kill the clover for now,seems that the clover is choking the new grass out I am afraid that it could choke it out right now and next spring ill have a bare spot there if i dont do sumthing

You should be OK if the grass is still growing, not stressed and is established enough that you have mowed three times. BTW Weedbgon is a broadleaf weedkiller. I would use a wetting agent on the clover also.

lewdo
12-12-2004, 03:21 PM
I would recommend waiting till next year. I'm assuming you planted Kentucky Bluegrass. If you planted that, it didn't pop up until late November and that isn't very long for the grass to be hitting it with weed killer. I believe you would do more harm than good. If the weeds are really bad, you should have eradicated them before sewing new seed. You'll be able to get 'em next year.

ThreeWide
12-12-2004, 05:15 PM
My guess is that he seeded tall fescue.

That being the case, once you've mowed it about 4 times it is safe to apply a herbicide such as weed-b-gone. The AI in that I believe is 2-4-D which should be effective on your clover.

You should apply it about 2 days after mowing, and then avoid mowing again for a few more days. Since you are treating clover, you will need to use a surfactant.

If you want a more effective product, get Trimec or Threeway herbicide from a local co-op. Those are simply more concentrated than weed-b-gone.

malliso
12-12-2004, 08:47 PM
It was tall fescue turfunlimited,appreciate the info on that..I am running the fert apps but it calls for 1 of the weed apps that contains trimec in feb.

ArizPestWeed
12-12-2004, 09:00 PM
Funny thing
24d is not labeled fpr clover , I believe .

Am I correct ?

Neal Wolbert
12-13-2004, 12:24 AM
2,4-D won't touch clover in the Northwest. If you can still use Confront where you are, that's the ticket. Spotlight is very good also. As was mentioned, use a spreader for best results. Stay away from Speedzone if you don't want to spray again. Neal

ThreeWide
12-13-2004, 08:28 AM
Yes, my bad there. 2-4-D alone is only somewhat effective on clover.

2-4-D is normally marketed as part of a 3-way solution that also includes dicamba. Dicamba is actually the chemical that targets clover.

If he goes with the trimec as mentioned above, the result will be achieved.

Fvstringpicker
12-13-2004, 02:38 PM
TurfUnlimited is absolutely correct.