PDA

View Full Version : Winter Work Idea's for those who need it!

J Hisch
12-12-2004, 05:45 PM
Again winter is on us and many are wondering what to do with their time. Posted are just a few Idea's some take time and money but many do not. Also feel free to post your Ideas too.

1. Sell Firewood- get your supply from tree companies
2. Clean Carpets- big holiday and post holiday cash(rent a machine)
3. Repair Mail boxes (paint, letter, repair or just updates)
4. Install blown in Insulation ( machine is free when you purchase the inuslation
5. Holiday lighting
6. Interior painting
7. Snow plowing
8. Winterize clients homes( plastic on windows, check drafts under crawls spaces, wrap pipes etc.)
9. Call customer base and ask for odd jobs( be prepared for anything)
10. work as a Sub Teacher go when you want an no school when it snows.

Again, some of this may be too late this winter but plan for next year. Work your customer base. Hope this helps.

BryPaulD
12-12-2004, 05:52 PM
mix up water and food coloring and go paint the snow covered lawns green? ;)

TURF DOCTOR
12-12-2004, 06:47 PM
come by my house the snow is yellow.

Wells
12-12-2004, 07:49 PM
Here's a few more ideas. Again, some of these may be to late for this year.

1. Sharpen mower blades for the homeowner that cuts his own lawn.
2. Hauling Debris (most home builders need someone to clean up the job site and haul debris away)
3. Clean Residential windows (easy money in the winter months)
4. Pressure Washing (alot of fleet trucking companies will hire this service out)
5. Winterize lawn mowers for the homeowner that cuts his own lawn.
6. Distribute fliers for other companies. (most of us do this for ourselves might as well get paid to do it.)
7. Mobile Car Washing.
8. Paint address numbers on curbs.
9. install peep holes in doors.

bobbygedd
12-12-2004, 09:02 PM
lift weights, drink beer, sleep. o wait, you said WINTER, i thought u said summer. ok, winter. lift weights, drink beer. go to movies alot

Albemarle Lawn
12-12-2004, 09:15 PM
We do tax accounting, light dentisty, legal advice, we are a full-service investment banker, architectural services and land planning, treat yeast infections, change car oil, deliver babies, you know, only the high-self esteem profitable stuff. Plus, this year I think I will start a railroad if I have any spare time.

out4now
12-12-2004, 09:23 PM
Did the carpet thing with a commercial company years ago. Was good money if you could get a tight route and sell Scotch guard.

You could also be a Mall Santa or snowbird to Yuma AZ and sell ridiculous looking lawn gnomes and knicknacks to the older tourists, there seems to be no end to them.

Randy Scott
12-12-2004, 09:25 PM
Desperate times create desperate measures, so a person has to do what they have to do. I would just be careful of some of those items. My thought with some of them is they really stray from the industry, and to me, that cheapens the profession, more so, yourself.

I can here it now " yeah, old Buck, our lawn-cutter, came by and hauled all the trash out of our basement before we moved in". Just seems to cheapen yourself. That's only my opinion though. If you have to do it to survive, that's what you have to do. Better than going belly-up.

Steve9
12-12-2004, 09:29 PM
I will be dancing at LeBare and doing some modeling. payup

sildoc
12-12-2004, 10:44 PM
Desperate times create desperate measures, so a person has to do what they have to do. I would just be careful of some of those items. My thought with some of them is they really stray from the industry, and to me, that cheapens the profession, more so, yourself.

I can here it now " yeah, old Buck, our lawn-cutter, came by and hauled all the trash out of our basement before we moved in". Just seems to cheapen yourself. That's only my opinion though. If you have to do it to survive, that's what you have to do. Better than going belly-up.

I have to disagree with you on the hauling trash part. I do this all in my spare time since I still mow and prune throughout the winter.
I would say that trash hauling pulls in % of the annual gross and I mostly do it from dec-feb.
There is a company here that does straight junk hauling. They have 5 trucks going 7 days a week. From a s-10 with a 5x10 trailer to 2 Semi's.
Talked to the owner the other day after I just dumped a load of leaves and they are adding on another semi next spring. Asked him what he grosses a year....... over 500000.00 Said that fuel and dump fees usually add up to 70000 and 5 employees under 200000 including workmans comp and medical ins. for the year. To me that is 230000 in the pocket minus maybe another 30grand for misc. He cant keep up on the requests that he gets and refers some work to me from time to time.
Another LCO here just bought a 10 yard dump this summer and is offering on fridays and saturdays Deliveries of Landscape material. He buys at wholesale costs from one of the Nurseries and marks up 25% then tacks on a 50-200 delivery charge. Talking to him he has paid off the truck to date and put about 10g's in his pocket. He is a solo operator and mows and such monday through thursday.

sanfordandsonfan
12-12-2004, 11:51 PM
junk hauling is serious business for me. I haul for all my commercial property owners and apartments. One of my largest customers says that is why he never goes out for a bid. He can call me all year long to haul away junk or debris. I have a dedicated trailer for hauling, and when it is full, I go to the dump. My minimum is $100.00 and to haul away an entire trailer load, it is $400.00. If I have to go up and down steps or need another man with me, I charge an additional $50.00 per hour. Last Thursday I went to one of my grass accounts and hauled away some debris left from a contractor. Loaded up the trailer in less than two hours and charged $400.00. Dump fee was forty five bucks and the rest went to me. Contractor called the homeowner to get my number and I got a job lined up for this week. I agree it is not the best work, but it is work. My customers love it, and I make money. I recommend it.

dishboy
12-12-2004, 11:58 PM
I like to just stay home and play with the dog and chase the wife.......or is it play with the wife and chase the dog...... I don't know I get so confused,what day is it anyway?

Albemarle Lawn
12-13-2004, 01:23 AM
I hire one of those "TV Attorneys"

Usually they keep a list on file of people who are supposed to be easy to sue. This year I'm taking down Wal*Mart and the local sherriff's office.

KB