PDA

View Full Version : Proved you wrong rodfather

tiedeman
12-12-2004, 09:25 PM
Well, you thought that I was going to be sticking in the snow removal, well I just gave 9 accounts away to dcondon on the site here. With another possible 2-3 on the way.

Today was the final straw. I was taking care of a driveway with a snow blower and sucked up a newspaper (the buyers guide section) and jammed up my machine. Took almost 2 1/2 hours later to get it unjammed. I said, "That's it, I am done!"

I have about 8 accounts that I am going to take care of the rest of the season, (maybe minus 2-3) and that will be all.

rodfather
12-13-2004, 07:29 AM
Well, all I can say tiedeman is that you're a man of your word. Don't get too bored LOL :D

65hoss
12-13-2004, 07:53 AM
Not exactly wrong, you are still keeping 8.

tiedeman
12-13-2004, 07:58 AM
Well, all I can say tiedeman is that you're a man of your word. Don't get too bored LOL :D

I shouldn't be too bored. Three of the accounts are commerical, so those always keep me busy.

There are 4 accounts (2 commerical and 2 residenital) that signed on for 3 years, which are good lawn care customers so I think that I will stick around and finish up the contract on those. Out of the 4, two have already pre-paid for 3 years.

I can see myself being down to only 6 accounts by January.

fga
12-13-2004, 08:04 AM
Well, you thought that I was going to be sticking in the snow removal, well I just gave 9 accounts away to dcondon on the site here. With another possible 2-3 on the way.

Today was the final straw. I was taking care of a driveway with a snow blower and sucked up a newspaper (the buyers guide section) and jammed up my machine. Took almost 2 1/2 hours later to get it unjammed. I said, "That's it, I am done!"

I have about 8 accounts that I am going to take care of the rest of the season, (maybe minus 2-3) and that will be all.
maybe you have a wussy snow blower.. :)
i've sucked up and spit out many a paper. now one of those heavy, rubber door mats took a minute to unlodge. :cool: :)

BobR
12-13-2004, 09:11 AM
My Toro Power Shift 13 hp tried to process a bag of neatly folded papers placed out for the recycle guy, I was able to release the auger drive before the shear pins let go but the mess was really wedged into the serrated primary auger. Had to shut it down and back the mess out by reversing the rotation of the second stage blower and it took quite a while. Needless to say I am now tuned in to lumps near the curb. Good time to remind everyone (not just newbies) to be very careful when clearing the second stage fan on these labor savers, even with the engine OFF that second stage blower can BITE you under special circumstances. I always use a old wooden tool handle or stick when poking around in that area.

BobR

Turfdude
12-13-2004, 09:16 AM
BobR,

THere is a service guy in our area who works for a lot of LCO's (even snow service). He had a similar situation w/ a blower - his solution, although not recommended by me, was to pour 1/2 gal. of gas & light a match. 15 mins later.... machine was running.

BobR
12-13-2004, 09:37 AM
TURFDUDE - A bit radical but I suspect it would do the job.

BobR

mmacsek
12-13-2004, 11:39 AM
Last year I sucked a newspaper and it got wedged in the first stage of a 8hp. 24" Toro. Tideman , You are good!!! It took me a lot longer than 2.5 hours. Turfdude, I tried rubbing alcohol and lighting it. It did squat. My you know whats aren't brass so I didn't use gas. The only thing that was enlightening with this thread, someone else had the same problems. Matt

rodfather
12-13-2004, 11:55 AM
Snow Blowing? NFW! You're lucky to get me out of my truck unless something stopped working.

Evan528
12-13-2004, 12:06 PM
That is what I hate about the toro 2 stage blowers. When you hit a newspaper or welcome mat it gets jammed terribly. Any other brand and the sheer bolts just breaks and you can pull the paper right out and replace the shearbolts in 10 minutes. It has taken me as long as 90 minutes to get my toro unclogged. :realmad:

tiedeman
12-13-2004, 03:30 PM
maybe you have a wussy snow blower.. :)
i've sucked up and spit out many a paper. now one of those heavy, rubber door mats took a minute to unlodge. :cool: :)

its not bad, 8.5 HP 28"

lawnguyland
12-13-2004, 05:40 PM
I've had the same problem with a 5 hp toro and an 8hp like tideman's. F'in newspapers. Also had a 10" long bolt jammed in once. Took like an hour with a hacksaw for the bolt. Now I have back-up snowblowers just in case. I also tell all customers to make sure the paper is inside and if not to tell me if they can't find it if possible. If I do suck up a newspaper my contract says they are liable for any damages to snowblower. I'd charge for downtime too, but now I have another blower so I won't really be slowed down.

I've found that a small folding pruining saw can help free papers. Tried gas and fire too, but that's no good.