PDA

View Full Version : Ferris 2005 new deck and 4500 models

aussiegreg
12-12-2004, 10:23 PM
G'day us in aussie land are a bit slow in recieving new equipment. I am looking at a new 60-61inch deck with abig motor preferably diesel.
I have looked at the Ferris IS3000extreme 27hp 61in (demoed a contractors that had 55 hours on it) and it rode smooth cut good quality but not good on thicker/long stuff ie foot high and also cutting from 4 1/2in to 3in it seemed to bog down. I amtrying out Hustler 28efi/60in, Toro 27hp diesel/60in, Kubota zd28 pro 60in deck and Scag turf tiger 29,31hp 60in so I will be able to compare as to if there is a prob in the long grass. BTW I am doing it all on the one 2.5acre vacant block for consistency.

Speaking to the Ferris importer who says that the 27hp kohler has a prob with the carby and there is a fix to a lack of power. An operator had 2 extemes one went great the other no good thats how they worked it out. He is going to let me know the part no.

There is supposedly a new deck for 2005 that gives better dispersion in long grass, anyone heard about it.?????

Also stronger "Hercules" spindles are fitted.

I am interested in the IS4500 with 27hp cat diesel does anyone have experience??

Suppossedly if I order now I won't get to late Feb 2005, are they that popular that they can't make enough or are they made in a small tin shed???

Its the same backlog for the IS5000, does any one have experience of the IS500???

How do they cut at high speed when bumpy ie. when say cutting 1inch off. On my Scag Turf Tiger on say buffalo grass if it is bumpy you can see how the deck rises and falls due to bouncing, does the suspension stop this???

I like the ride and the quality of cut but it seems to bog down on longer grass and that could be a good proprtion of my work ie vacant blocks etc.

Thanks

Greg

Envy Lawn Service
12-12-2004, 10:29 PM
I posted a picture of the IS4500 on here somewhere, which is new for 2005. It does have the new spindles. But I didn't catch anything about a new deck. It seems to me the deck looked the same. However, that does not mean the baffling underneath hasn't been changed for the better. Just haven't heard anything about it.

Travis Followell
12-13-2004, 06:03 AM
are they made in a small tin shed?
No, definately not. They are owned by simplicity manufacturing which is a fairly large company. They are made in a factory in New York and they were the first company to put 4 wheel independent suspension on a mower. The suspension does keep the mower deck from bouncing so you would be able to mow full speed without seeing where the deck bounced. They do have new Hercules spindles coming out that are supposed to be the heavyest spinles on the market. I havn't really heard anything about a deck change for 2005 so I can't comment on that. That 27hp you demoed must have had something wrong with it because we've got a 25 hp and we use it for a bush hog and it hardly ever bogs down. You should demo another Extreme and see how the power compares the first one you used. Good luck.

aussiegreg
12-13-2004, 06:25 AM
Thanks Travis
The dealer does not have one themselves to demo it is a small town etc. The one I demo'd was only 55 hours and the contractor who owned it is none the wiser to lack of power as it is the only ZTR that he has had. I spoke to the australian importer and he says it is a known problem and he will organise the new part to be sent I think for free as the guy was in his own time showing me the machine. Its a carby prob so this will fix it.
BTW what is a bush hog ??I guess in high grass??

Texas Mower Parts
12-13-2004, 07:18 AM
The only new deck I've seen, has been a rear discharge on the 72" Cat.

Travis Followell
12-13-2004, 08:27 PM
BTW, what is a bushog?
A bushog is a rough cut mower that you put behind a tractor and mow tall grass and heavy brush. We use our mowers for bushogs sometimes cutting tall grass where we can't get a tractor.

aussiegreg
12-14-2004, 04:59 AM
A bushog is a rough cut mower that you put behind a tractor and mow tall grass and heavy brush. We use our mowers for bushogs sometimes cutting tall grass where we can't get a tractor.
We call that a slasher in oztrailia.

eclawn
12-14-2004, 04:55 PM
yes, they have done some adjustment to the deck.they are telling us dealers that they will have the best cutting deck next year.I have seen the new 4500 and it is awsome that wont be bouging down on you,and the ride is even beter then the 3000. Maybe even beter then the 5000 but thats still the real beast of the line.

Travis Followell
12-14-2004, 07:07 PM
eclawn, will the deck be changed on the IS3000 extreme next year? We will be getting a new mower in the spring and we'll be looking at Ferris. Mainly for the ride but we want it to cut good too. How is the performance in wet grass? Does it clump badly or not and really, how good does the machine ride over rough ground? Where I work thats all we have is rough ground. Any info is appreciated.

Envy Lawn Service
12-14-2004, 10:26 PM
yes, they have done some adjustment to the deck.they are telling us dealers that they will have the best cutting deck next year.I have seen the new 4500 and it is awsome that wont be bouging down on you,and the ride is even beter then the 3000. Maybe even beter then the 5000 but thats still the real beast of the line.

Ok then, well count me in also. I've always liked the suspension, so I'm 100% interested in them again. Can't wait to see how the new deck performs!

eclawn
12-15-2004, 12:30 PM
I dont beleave you will see any real change on the 3000 right away but ive been told by customers of mine that the 61'' deck on there 3000z has as good of a cut as there exmarks and scags, but have a beter discharge or dispersale in tall and wet grass. As far as levelness over ruff yard I beleave that Ferris wins the deck is hooked up to the frt. A arms and the rear alowing the deck to fallow the wheels-ground. We learnt that on a demo to a golf course this last year.We had a turf tiger and a 3000z same cutting height made 4 passes side by side the ferris never scalped where the scag scalped quite a few times.It realy impressed me.

Travis Followell
12-15-2004, 08:35 PM
Is the ride really as good as they claim it is in their brochures? Can you really run full speed over rough ground without being beat to death? I can't wait to demo one in the spring.

aussiegreg
12-19-2004, 07:17 AM
It sounds like people are happy with the Ferris and I was happy if the hp was larger but the big issue in Australia is tha Ferris is low volume and is distributed it does not have a corporate entity here like a toro or kubota

Envy Lawn Service
02-25-2005, 08:01 PM
MAN!!!! I've been hunting and hunting and hunting this thread.

Take a look at the deck on this Ferris!

http://www.ferrisindustries.com/l_4000.jpg

Is this the new deck design?
It sure ain't the old one!

Travis Followell
02-25-2005, 09:32 PM
That looks kindah like one of those new Husqvarna tunnel ram decks. I've never seen a Ferris mower with that deck on it though. I don't know if they still make those decks or not. You got that pictire out of a 1-2 year old brochure I think because I have a brand new one and none of the mowers have that deck on it. All the decks on the new mowers are the standard type deck without the tunnel in the front. I don't know maybe it didn't perform well enough so they done away with it or something.

Envy Lawn Service
02-25-2005, 09:40 PM
Same exact thing here with the literature, and seen the '05 models in person at GIE, hince my earlier comments.

But no, that picture is a link from the Ferris site. You will find it on the IS4000 page.
It was not there prior to the partial update they did on the site.
Does look like the Tunnel Ram type deck though.

Travis Followell
02-25-2005, 09:47 PM
Is that deck only available on the IS4000 or are they putting it on the IS5000 also? Looks like a very good deck.

Envy Lawn Service
02-25-2005, 10:25 PM
I have no idea!!! That's why I posted and asked.

Travis Followell
02-26-2005, 11:28 AM
I guess i'll find out before long because my dealer has a new IS 5000 coming in. In this brand new brochure i've got it shows this new IS 4500 with the standard deck and the IS 5000 with the standard type deck. If i'm not mistaken they don't make the IS 4000 anymore. The line up goes from the IS 3000 to the new for 2005 IS 4500 with either 28 Cat or 35 LC Vanguard but the 4500 is only available with a 61" deck and the one pictured on the 4000 is a 72". According to this brochure if you want a 72" you'd have to get the Cat diesel on the 5000. That could be a bad thing because someone might want a 72" but not want to spend that extra $ on the diesel.