PDA

View Full Version : charge for travelling time.... TWICE?

bobbygedd
12-13-2004, 11:50 AM
for those who charge hourly, or figure traveling time into thier rates, can you charge twice, for traveling time? example: it is understood the leaf cleanup will be charged hourly, including traveling time. drive time is like 40 min each way. you go, start the job, it starts pouring rain. you leave, you return the next day to finish. can you charge for traveling time for both days?

rodfather
12-13-2004, 11:56 AM
Personally, I wouldn't.

lawnwizards
12-13-2004, 12:02 PM
i have to agree with rodfather.... its a tough situation though. the rain wasn't your fault and the rain wasn't their fault so its hard to justify them paying twice... or you not getting more money.... my solution, do it when you have a big window of sunshine... :D

dishboy
12-13-2004, 12:24 PM
This issue is sort of like taking questionable tax deductions, until someone complains or refuses the charge or deduction you can do what ever you want.

Personally the only travel time I ever charge for is associated with dump fees and is included in the fee.

D Felix
12-13-2004, 04:11 PM
With that much drive time, unless it's an all day job, why not stay and finish it in the first place?

I've worked in more rain in the last couple of months than I care to think about, and there is NO way we'd be where we are at as far as maintenance is concerned if we hadn't....

Yeah, rain makes things harder, and it may take a little longer, but you wouldn't have to go back the next day......... Now to go and start another job in the pouring rain might be a little on the insane side.:)

But to answer your question, I doubt travel time would be charged twice.

Dan

bobbygedd
12-13-2004, 04:21 PM
40 degrees, windy, ice cold rain.....nah, i aint staying to finish. how do you justify NOT charging for travel time twice? it was charged, because it was neccesary to cover this cost. now, the cost just doubled.

Duramax99
12-13-2004, 04:28 PM
Its not the customers problem that you tried to do a clean-up in the rain that was 40 miles away. If there was rain in the forcast you should have stayed closer to your shop or not gone out at all that day. Anyways I wouldnt charge twice for travel time.

bobbygedd
12-13-2004, 04:35 PM
Its not the customers problem that you tried to do a clean-up in the rain that was 40 miles away. If there was rain in the forcast you should have stayed closer to your shop or not gone out at all that day. Anyways I wouldnt charge twice for travel time.
u live pretty close to me. i havn't actually kept track, but in the last 20 days, between hurricane force winds, and rain, there may have been like 5 workable days. so when are you gonna do the cleanup? christmas eve? anyhow these are customers who, by no fault of mine, have waited till mid december to call and inquire about leaf cleanup. i believe it is only fair TO ME AND MY FAMILY, that the customer pay costs associated with the service. BUT, that's just me. i didn't make it rain, and i can't make it stop, and i am certainly not going to give things away because it rained

work_it
12-13-2004, 04:40 PM
If the customer was to send you away for some reason then I could see you charging them extra for an extra trip, but they don't control the weather. If you're in the middle of a job and bad weather hits it's your decision to either suck it up, try to wait it out, or leave and return another day.

dishboy
12-13-2004, 04:41 PM
u live pretty close to me. i havn't actually kept track, but in the last 20 days, between hurricane force winds, and rain, there may have been like 5 workable days. so when are you gonna do the cleanup? christmas eve? anyhow these are customers who, by no fault of mine, have waited till mid december to call and inquire about leaf cleanup. i believe it is only fair TO ME AND MY FAMILY, that the customer pay costs associated with the service. BUT, that's just me. i didn't make it rain, and i can't make it stop, and i am certainly not going to give things away because it rained

No one is asking you give anything away, charge whatever you feel like, it only really matters what your client is willing to pay .You don't need our approval to justify your rates do you?

bobbygedd
12-13-2004, 04:44 PM
no and thank god i don't. i'd be workin for a nickle an hour. ok look, what if a herd of wild wildabeasts trampled the place while you were working, and right behind them was a tribe of vicious natives trying to kill the beasts, and you. your only safety was to drive home and hide. would you charge travel time then? working in freezing cold rain is not a choice, it's a health/safety issue

dishboy
12-13-2004, 04:52 PM
Bob, do you charge travel time when you get rained out half way through you mowing schedule and have to go back to finish?

bobbygedd
12-13-2004, 04:57 PM
that's different. i would never establish a mowing route with that much travel time, it makes no sense. and if i'm halfway through a lawn, and it rains, it still only takes 5 min to finish. now, if it rains for the next 3 days, and wednesday's route could not be completed, yes, they still get charged for that week. that grass didn't stop growing cus i didn't cut it

jbell113
12-13-2004, 04:57 PM
You should charge Mother Nature a surcharge :sleeping:

PTP
12-13-2004, 05:10 PM
that's different. i would never establish a mowing route with that much travel time, it makes no sense. and if i'm halfway through a lawn, and it rains, it still only takes 5 min to finish. now, if it rains for the next 3 days, and wednesday's route could not be completed, yes, they still get charged for that week. that grass didn't stop growing cus i didn't cut it

By the same logic, you would have to charge them less when the grass doesn't grow very much. Why don't you start a thread asking when it would be okay for the customer to pay you less?

bobbygedd
12-13-2004, 05:23 PM
By the same logic, you would have to charge them less when the grass doesn't grow very much. Why don't you start a thread asking when it would be okay for the customer to pay you less?
here is the dealio on that: you sign up for seasonal mowing. 26x30=$780. now, our intention is to get there once a week, but i cannot garentee anything, you still pay the seasonal fee. or, you have choice #2- if it does rain, and i miss a week, you still only get one pass with the mower. if it looks like crap, it looks like crap. choice is thiers

D Felix
12-13-2004, 07:06 PM
anyhow these are customers who, by no fault of mine, have waited till mid december to call and inquire about leaf cleanup. i believe it is only fair TO ME AND MY FAMILY, that the customer pay costs associated with the service. BUT, that's just me. i didn't make it rain, and i can't make it stop, and i am certainly not going to give things away because it rainedWhen you picked up the phone, you should have told them that you will get there when the weather is fit, OR, expect multiple travel time charges....

No, you can't control the weather, but you can most certainly get onto http://www.weather.com and check your local weather forecast. It's not perfect, but it's a starting point.

Only 40 degrees? IIRC, I was standing on a d*mn extension ladder two days before Thanksgiving in blowing wind and rain (soaked through insulated bibs, coat and everything else that I had on underneath) hanging Christmas decorations... And the temperature wasn't any warmer than that.

Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. I can see if you had just gotten started- 15 minutes into a 3 hour job- why you could justify pulling off, but if you had 1/2 hour longer, just finish the friggin job.... If it takes longer to drive there than it will to finish it, it makes sense to me to stay and finish. Just my opinion, take it for what it cost you.......:D

Dan

packerbacker
12-13-2004, 07:09 PM
for those who charge hourly, or figure traveling time into thier rates, can you charge twice, for traveling time? example: it is understood the leaf cleanup will be charged hourly, including traveling time. drive time is like 40 min each way. you go, start the job, it starts pouring rain. you leave, you return the next day to finish. can you charge for traveling time for both days?

Why would anyone take a job almost an hour away? Terrible example to even use therefore it gets no response.

bobbygedd
12-13-2004, 07:15 PM
Why would anyone take a job almost an hour away? Terrible example to even use therefore it gets no response.
if you are getting paid travel time, why WOULDN'T YOU take the job???? :dizzy: oh wait, aren't you the guy that says it's BETTER TO LOWER YOUR PRICES to get work? o yea, i forgot, sorry.

D Felix
12-13-2004, 07:16 PM
Many of our jobs are 30+ minutes away.

In our area, that's just part of it. There's a whopping 35,000 people in our county, so you gotta go where the money is! For example, we've been driving 45 minutes one-way on our current hardscape project... And they are regular landscape maintenance clients.

Dan

packerbacker
12-13-2004, 07:20 PM
if you are getting paid travel time, why WOULDN'T YOU take the job???? :dizzy: oh wait, aren't you the guy that says it's BETTER TO LOWER YOUR PRICES to get work? o yea, i forgot, sorry.

Now i understand why you overcharge and saturate the board with excuses for overcharging. You have to fill up your tank 2 times a day. Your overcharging for gas money. LMAO

Isthmus...ROFLMAO

packerbacker
12-13-2004, 07:21 PM
Many of our jobs are 30+ minutes away.

In our area, that's just part of it. There's a whopping 35,000 people in our county, so you gotta go where the money is! For example, we've been driving 45 minutes one-way on our current hardscape project... And they are regular landscape maintenance clients.

Dan

You dont live in Jersey, theres a HUGE difference.

bobbygedd
12-13-2004, 07:23 PM
you're back on ignore. and, you are sitting in the back of the bus, right behind ric

packerbacker
12-13-2004, 07:23 PM
you're back on ignore. and, you are sitting in the back of the bus, right behind ric

Finally, thank you!

ISTHMUS???? ROFLMAO

grass-scapes
12-13-2004, 09:36 PM

Why not look at it this way...... When you had to pay for that plumber you hired just a while back.. If he came up to you and said....I need to go home....its cold under your house. I will be back in the morning and oh..by the way, Im gonna charge you extra for coming back tomorrow, What would you do? Just shut up and pay him? I don't think so. You cant justify it so you shouldn't charge it.

bobbygedd
12-13-2004, 10:12 PM
i've never heard of an industry, where the business owners work so hard, for so little, and yet are so eager to give thier services away. it's just "par for the course" i guess