PDA

View Full Version : Paid Thru Lunch?

bobbygedd
12-13-2004, 01:05 PM
you work from 8-4. half hour lunch break 12:30-1. are you paying your help for 8 hrs or only 7.5?

scott's turf
12-13-2004, 01:21 PM
I pay through there lunch time with the understanding that it is no longer than .5 hr long.

rodfather
12-13-2004, 02:04 PM
I pay through there lunch time with the understanding that it is no longer than .5 hr long.

Ditto...even though most of the time they eat between jobs.

Richard Martin
12-13-2004, 02:53 PM
The few times I use help I pay through lunch. If I were to go the regular employee step I would deduct for lunch. They get enough free time riding between jobs.

FrankenScagMachines
12-13-2004, 03:09 PM
My workers get paid for lunch, provided it is no longer than 1/2 hour break. Often if we are in the area (and usually are) we go through the drive through at Taco Bell (we all like it, and drive throughs save time of parking which is difficult there, and locking everything up as we can't see the equipment from where the seats are) and then go to the park a few blocks away and sit and eat. We have quite a few jobs in the area around taco bell so we don't have time to eat between jobs so we just sit down and break a bit. More peaceful quiet environment than inside taco bell... more restful. i'm around noisy equipment all day long the last thing i want to hear is all the kids from the high school across the road and all their noise at lunch break... otherwise we go to another fast food place and either park and lock everything or else drive through and eat on the way to the next job, usually eat on the way to next job. once every week or two we go to a sit down meal, usually at our favorite mexican restaurant, as a treat. usually that is paid time even though its a few minutes longer than usual.

JimLewis
12-13-2004, 03:16 PM

Same here.

Ditto...even though most of the time they eat between jobs.

Which is why I do it! :D :D :D

Northwest
12-13-2004, 04:26 PM
No!
If they did not stop at Taco Bell, Burger King ect. I guess I could see paying them thru lunch cause you have to pay drive time anyway. My guys stop for a half hour and eat at the restaurant. The majority of businesses out there don't pay for lunch why are you guys giving away money? Maybe you have enough, if so send some my way.

tiedeman
12-13-2004, 04:44 PM
I was totally the opposite. I would not pay for their lunch which was 30 mins. Because I look at it this way, many times during the day they might stop to get a drink or something to snack on, which they were being paid for, so why pay for the long lunch

JimLewis
12-13-2004, 05:08 PM
The majority of businesses out there don't pay for lunch why are you guys giving away money?

To create an incentive for them to get back to work quickly.

It's simple. Because I am paying them all day, but allow them to take up to 30 minute lunch, often they DON'T take the full 30 minutes. Often it's a break between stops or just a quick 15 minute break to eat some tacos from the nearby Taco Truck. Then they are back to work. They're being paid, so I think that creates the idea that they should probably get back to work.

I think NOT paying for lunches creates an incentive for workers to MAKE SURE they take AT LEAST 30 minutes. Sometimes more.

Finally, it's just to be nice. There are few benefits in this industry. I don't provide health insurance for most of my employees, they don't get vacation pay, half of them get laid off every winter, I don't often give out bonuses, they don't have plush expense accounts, they just get to work in the wet grass or mud each and every day. I feel they deserve what few little benefits I CAN afford to give.

coastallandscapesolutions
12-13-2004, 06:15 PM
you work from 8-4. half hour lunch break 12:30-1. are you paying your help for 8 hrs or only 7.5?

7.5 hours. Deduct their lunch time as it is standard practice.

mdb landscaping
12-13-2004, 07:04 PM
we do not pay for lunch time which is half hour. in a sense we are paying, because they are driving our trucks to wherever they want to eat and that cost money. if the guys are busy and want to work through lunch and just snack as they go, we will pay them. usually though, lunch time is subtracted from the hours.

kris
12-13-2004, 07:11 PM
half hour.. not paid.

SodKing
12-13-2004, 07:31 PM
We don't pay for lunch. Federal Law requires that employees be given 1/2 lunch break therefor we require that the take it. By forcing them to take a break, it also lets their engines recharge and the are much better after break.

bobbygedd
12-13-2004, 07:37 PM
We don't pay for lunch. Federal Law requires that employees be given 1/2 lunch break therefor we require that the take it. By forcing them to take a break, it also lets their engines recharge and the are much better after break.
you are 100% wrong. in the crappy place i worked , you WERE NOT ALLOWED to take a lunch break!!! i called every govt and state agency, and they told me flat out, " THERE IS NOT AN ENFORCEABLE LAW THAT SAYS YOUR EMPLOYER MUST GIVE YOU A LUNCH BREAK. IF HE DOES, HE IS DOING IT OUT OF COURTESY.

lawnguyland
12-13-2004, 07:38 PM
I don't currently have employees, but the times I did I would pay them for lunch time, 1/2 hr. max, and many times buy it for them too. Like Mr. Lewis said, it's all about incentive and being good to your employees. It's peanuts in the short run, but worth a lot in the end.

BTW-I forgot to say, ya big buncha cheapo bastages.

treedoc1
12-13-2004, 07:43 PM
We pay when they arrive on first site, no travel time...deduct the half hour lunch, pay ends when they leave the last job, no travel time home. Our crew leaders drive the pickups and transport the crews to a central pickup location. We pay gas and expenses, the crew leaders don't have to worry about getting to the shop.

lawnguyland
12-13-2004, 07:54 PM
We pay when they arrive on first site, no travel time...deduct the half hour lunch, pay ends when they leave the last job, no travel time home. Our crew leaders drive the pickups and transport the crews to a central pickup location. We pay gas and expenses, the crew leaders don't have to worry about getting to the shop.

I hope you pay in gold and diamonds for the time worked.

treedoc1
12-13-2004, 08:03 PM
Depending on traffic, the closest that you might experience is the LIE or trying to cross G W Bridge. On a Saturday morning I can take 40 minutes to travel the same route it takes me over 2 hours on a Tuesday am.
We start labor @$10, bump to $12 after 90, crew leaders are at $16.

You pay for 3 crews to sleep on the ride in and out(12 men x 3 hours avg), thats your salary...you do the math.

Richard Martin
12-13-2004, 08:10 PM
We pay when they arrive on first site, no travel time...deduct the half hour lunch, pay ends when they leave the last job, no travel time home. Our crew leaders drive the pickups and transport the crews to a central pickup location.

You do know that this practice will cost you seriously if one of your employees becomes disgruntled and turns you in don't you? You are required to pay them from the moment they get in your truck at the central pickup location till the moment they get back out of your truck at the end of the day at the same pickup location. You may deduct for lunch time.

Gautreaux's LNG
12-13-2004, 08:10 PM
Don't pay lunch. 3 man crew (Leader $16/hour, 2 hands $10.00/hour each) That's $36.00/hour. Not to mention the overhead tied to that $36.00/hour. That's $90.00/week before overhead. OUCH!

mdb landscaping
12-13-2004, 08:21 PM
BTW-I forgot to say, ya big buncha cheapo bastages.

i know your probably just busting us, but when you got 15 employees, paying for 1/2 lunch each day adds up. my boss picks up the tab a lot after snowstorms and buys beer and food a lot of fridays for the guys, but paying for lunch for that many employees adds up. its not like everyone here has just an employee or two. some companies like the one im at have many employees.

SodKing
12-13-2004, 09:35 PM
you are 100% wrong. in the crappy place i worked , you WERE NOT ALLOWED to take a lunch break!!! i called every govt and state agency, and they told me flat out, " THERE IS NOT AN ENFORCEABLE LAW THAT SAYS YOUR EMPLOYER MUST GIVE YOU A LUNCH BREAK. IF HE DOES, HE IS DOING IT OUT OF COURTESY.

Bobby I stand corrected, You (aaack) are correct. FLSA does NOT require employers to give employees a lunch break. State law may supercede this but according to the Fair Labor Standards Act, Breaks are not mandatory. That being said, and the Government being what it is Breaks are probably regulated by some other agency,...

What does the Fair Labor Standards Act NOT require?

There are a number of employment practices which the FLSA does not regulate. For example, the FLSA does not require:

(1) vacation, holiday, severance, or sick pay;
(2) meal or rest periods, holidays off, or vacations;
(3) premium pay for weekend or holiday work;
(4) pay raises or fringe benefits;
(5) a discharge notice, reason for discharge, or immediate payment of final wages to terminated employees; and
(6) pay stubs or "W-2"s.

The FLSA does not provide wage payment or collection procedures for an employee's usual or promised wages or for commissions in excess of those required by the FLSA. Also, the FLSA does not limit the number of hours in a day, or days in a week, an employee may be required or scheduled to work, including overtime hours, if the employee is at least 16 years old. However, some states do have laws covering some of these issues, such as meal or rest periods, or discharge notices.

The above matters, which are not covered by the FLSA, are generally for agreement between the employer and the employees or their authorized representatives.

SodKing
12-13-2004, 09:37 PM
If you require employees to eat lunch between jobs you may be require to pay the half hour or less that they take.

29 CFR 785.18 - Rest.

* Section Number: 785.18
* Section Name: Rest.

Rest periods of short duration, running from 5 minutes to about 20
minutes, are common in industry. They promote the efficiency of the
employee and are customarily paid for as working time. They must be
counted as hours worked. Compensable time of rest periods may not be
offset against other working time such as compensable waiting time or
on-call time. (Mitchell v. Greinetz, 235 F. 2d 621, 13 W.H. Cases 3
(C.A. 10, 1956); Ballard v. Consolidated Steel Corp., Ltd., 61 F. Supp.
996 (S.D. Cal. 1945))

walker-talker
12-13-2004, 10:19 PM
You are correct. If there is a law, it's not on a federal level, but state rather. Here in the State of KS there is no law that you have to give a break or lunch within the 24hour period that you can work your employee. That's right, you can work someone up to 24 hours in a row with no break or lunch. It is rather a standard practice to work 8 hours with 2 breaks and 1 lunch break.

JCW-G
12-13-2004, 10:21 PM
I don't pay them for their lunch break but, my wife makes them each a bagged lunch, nothing to big but, they like Asian food so they eat our left-overs.

RICHIE K
12-14-2004, 08:55 AM
WE PAY FOR ONLY A 1/2 HR LUNCH BREAK HOWEVER, 99% OF THE TIME MY GUYS EAT IN BETWEEN JOBS

RICHIE K

www.kulakandcompany.com :blob3:

YardPro
12-14-2004, 09:08 AM
we deduct lunches

bobbygedd
12-14-2004, 10:02 AM
we deduct lunches
my god, is a half an hour worth of pay too much to keep a good employee happy?

rodfather
12-14-2004, 10:19 AM
my god, is a half an hour worth of pay too much to keep a good employee happy?

My sentiments exactly. Without my people, my business is nothing...absolutley nothing. Period

Bray
12-14-2004, 10:25 AM
I only have part time employees. My brother and my brother-in-law. I pay them from when they show up till they are leaving. I pay for lunch also. It takes about 20 minutes to eat at the most, and me paying for lunch ensures that I get to pick what, when, and where we eat. If they were able to get their own trucks and go eat where they wanted then I guess I wouldn't pay them for lunch but since I have them stranded I buy everyday. It seems they are more productive when they aren't bothered by their stomachs. So to me it's worth every dollar and I get a 50% tax write off for the food expenses.

kris
12-14-2004, 10:29 AM
Now people are getting knocked for deducting lunch? Geez. ... There are other ways to reward employees..benefits,bonuses,etc etc.

Lets just say Rod, that you had 80 people peek time in one division and 35-40 in another ... 120 x that .5 hour pay.

rodfather
12-14-2004, 10:32 AM
Well kris, if my numbers were that tight I had to worry about that .5 hour every day for ALL my employees, maybe I should be in another line of work, huh?

kris
12-14-2004, 10:37 AM
Wasnt looking for a pissing match Rod ...point I was trying to make is just because a employer doesnt pay lunches doesnt mean money is tight or a bad employer.

walker-talker
12-14-2004, 10:41 AM
Kris makes a point, with 120 people working for you I would not pay a 1/2 hour lunch, but with that many people working for you I am sure you have other benefits offered. I think the conversation was along the lines of a couple crews or less.

rodfather
12-14-2004, 10:50 AM
Wasnt looking for a pissing match Rod ...point I was trying to make is just because a employer doesnt pay lunches doesnt mean money is tight or a bad employer.

Nor was I and I respect AND understood your point. :)

My statement was only to reveal that I hope I never get to the situation where I can't pay someone lunch to stay afloat or have them feel, well, being paid lunch is a bennie...that's all.

kris
12-14-2004, 10:57 AM
being paid lunch is a bennie...that's all.

Fair enough. Have a great day.