PDA

View Full Version : B&S Engine help please... Hit a pipe with 21"

boxoffire
12-13-2004, 01:50 PM
doing this cleanup over the weekend. Engine cut off immediately but started afterwards with much smoke at startup. Ran it about another 10 minutes. Took it off trailer just now and tested again and mucho smoke at startup and oil coming out of the muffler area. Is it toast? $99 Murray from Walmart. You need one of these just for these type cleanups, if you're gonna do'em. :help:

beransfixitinc
12-13-2004, 03:04 PM
doing this cleanup over the weekend. Engine cut off immediately but started afterwards with much smoke at startup. Ran it about another 10 minutes. Took it off trailer just now and tested again and mucho smoke at startup and oil coming out of the muffler area. Is it toast? $99 Murray from Walmart. You need one of these just for these type cleanups, if you're gonna do'em. :help:

If you were lucky enough not to bend the crankshaft, you almost certainly bent the blade enough that it will be out of balance. Also, you probably sheared the flywheel key and now have an engine out of time. Unless you are confident that you could do the work to repair it yourself, you'd be better off junking it and purchasing another one. A average shop charge to replace the key and blade would probably run you around $60. But on that little engine (I'm guessing 3.75hp sprint or classic) you probably bent the crank too much to use it anyway.

Buy a new one.. and check in front of you next time.

richard coffman
12-13-2004, 03:09 PM
Mabe you can take it back to walmart for a replacment. i'f not, sounds like you didn't shear any of the split keys that are used for the crankshaft, and that's a problem. I wouldn't think it would be worth your time taking the engine apart and fixing it. possable broken ring(s), bent valve,valve stem. in my opinion, get it replaced, if not, use that one for parts and buy another. I'd go with one that's got a blade clutch. Bet your blade is probably bent and or out of allignment. figure your time or money isn't worth putting into it. Just my 2 cents.

Respectfully,

Richard/Owner :D :D ;) ;) :D

boxoffire
12-13-2004, 03:12 PM
It really doesn't appear that anything is really bent. Mower is steady on startup and sounds normal. Just the smoke out the muffler and of coarse black oil coming out of it as well. Guess I'll junk it though. Thanks.

PTP
12-13-2004, 05:08 PM
It really doesn't appear that anything is really bent. Mower is steady on startup and sounds normal. Just the smoke out the muffler and of coarse black oil coming out of it as well. Guess I'll junk it though. Thanks.

If you are planning on buying the same model again, I recommend keeping the old one for parts. If the new one lasts long enough, you are bound to need wheels, cables and who knows what misc. part.

out4now
12-13-2004, 05:15 PM
Junk it and buy another.

Travis Followell
12-13-2004, 09:19 PM
Definately not worth fixing. There no telling whats damaged inside the moter. probibly a bent valve stem or broken ring or something. There's got to be something major for oil to leak out the muffles. Those little engines are only worth fixing if you know how to do it yourself and have another for parts.

Carolina Cutter
12-14-2004, 03:19 PM

I got this one.............

Bet you tilted it when you went to look under it after the hit, didn't you? I have tilted mine the wrong way before and the same thing happened to me. Smoked like a misqito fogger. It will go away. What happened most likely is that you tilted it toward the muffler and got oil in the muffler. THat explains the oil leak and the smoke. Once all the oil burns out it will stop.

Smalltimer1
12-14-2004, 03:22 PM

I'm collecting parts mowers for the spring, shoot me an email if you're close to Raleigh and I'll come pick it up.

ztoro
12-14-2004, 03:34 PM
I got this one.............

Bet you tilted it when you went to look under it after the hit, didn't you? I have tilted mine the wrong way before and the same thing happened to me. Smoked like a misqito fogger. It will go away. What happened most likely is that you tilted it toward the muffler and got oil in the muffler. THat explains the oil leak and the smoke. Once all the oil burns out it will stop.

I agree with this comment. I tilted a powersprayer way over and when I started it it look like a smoke machine... Let it run for awhile and kept checking the oil.. Went away after awhile.....

Looks like some oil go into the wrong place....

Carolina Cutter
12-14-2004, 03:35 PM
I'm collecting parts mowers for the spring, shoot me an email if you're close to Raleigh and I'll come pick it up.

Don't know what kida shape their in now after sitting behind the shed but I have 2 21" pushmowers(mostly parts) with B & S motors, no wait....make that three. I have a craftsman rider that I want the motor out of but the mower is up for grabs......near Cameron

JKOOPERS
12-14-2004, 04:32 PM
i flipped a skid steer once and it smoked for about 4 hrs

boxoffire
12-14-2004, 05:49 PM
Thanks much merlin and ztoro! You may be right. Think I'll go out and let it burn a while to see if all is well. Let's hope so. Smalltimer1, if it's toast I'll contact you if you want the mower. I'll let you folks know. Hope I don't blow anything up outside. :blush:

boxoffire
12-14-2004, 06:03 PM
You two were exactly right, man. My mower is absolutely fine I think. Ran for several minutes with no smoke or any more oil leaking out. I tilted it like you said. Now I don't have to go and buy my nephews 21" Murray push mower tonite for $75 with the larger rear wheels. May still get it later for a second trimmer and even better mower to do small yards. Thanks again fellas! My blade seems ok on visual inspection and smooth while cutting still. Maybe I lucked up this time.

Carolina Cutter
12-15-2004, 12:12 PM
You two were exactly right, man. My mower is absolutely fine I think. Ran for several minutes with no smoke or any more oil leaking out. I tilted it like you said. Now I don't have to go and buy my nephews 21" Murray push mower tonite for $75 with the larger rear wheels. May still get it later for a second trimmer and even better mower to do small yards. Thanks again fellas! My blade seems ok on visual inspection and smooth while cutting still. Maybe I lucked up this time.

No problem. Since my local mechanic decided to call it quits have had to learn to work on these things myself (as if I have time).

If you can find it I recommend you buy the Briggs and Stratton Interactive Reapir Manual CD. I got one at Wal-Mart last year for about 10 bucks. Been worth that 10 times over.