PDA

View Full Version : WOW! now we have wild turkeys around here

LawnMower
12-13-2004, 01:17 PM
Last month I was mowing a yard close to mine. I came around the back of the house and I almost mowed over 5 wild turkeys that were there. These birds aren't small. I never saw anything like it in my life. Not around my town anyway. Well ever sinse that day, I see the turkeys all the time. Now there coming up to my front yard. sometimes there's 6 of them, but in this picture there's only 5. One seems to be the dominant Turkey. They don't like donuts. They don't even like carrots. They did however love the corn I put out there. Now I feel I made some new best friends. They don't seem to be afraid of people. Im sure that some of you guys look at this picture and see supper, haha. Every time I see them I think im going crazy.

KathysLGC
12-13-2004, 01:34 PM
We got loads of them around here. Even the dam deer walk around unafriaf of mowers. Do you know what it's like mowing around bushes and all of a sudden a huge deer walks out in front of you?

captaingreen
12-13-2004, 01:42 PM
We have the same problem here. I had a buck run a big circle around me at the end of the year and have seen deer right in town. We also have a problem with Canada geese, they can sure make a mess out of a backyard with all their manure.

Richard Martin
12-13-2004, 01:50 PM
You're lucky there wasn't a Tom there. He would let you know why you shouldn't get near his hens.

beransfixitinc
12-13-2004, 02:00 PM
sometimes there's 6 of them, but in this picture there's only 5. One seems to be the dominant Turkey. .

I'm sorry.. in your photo, I count 6 turkeys... maybe one is something different?

meathead1134
12-13-2004, 03:06 PM
We have the same problem here. I had a buck run a big circle around me at the end of the year and have seen deer right in town. We also have a problem with Canada geese, they can sure make a mess out of a backyard with all their manure.

These things are a pain in &^$ They should somehow be shipped back to Canada

sildoc
12-13-2004, 03:22 PM
You will soon wish that you had never fed them. Now there are six, in a month there will be 14, then 20 then 40 then 100 then 200 then 100000000. Neighbors will hate you! I have several accounts with these annoying little pests (turkeys). They fed them one year. Now they come back every winter. Last years damage came to a total of 6000 to replace some plants and they had to have a carpenter come out and replace some siding and misc stuff that the turkeys tore up. that is just one place. They crap every where and leave their darn feathers all over the place. You will soon hate them.

jbell113
12-13-2004, 03:40 PM
Those had to be someones pets at one time cuz down here you cant get within 100 yards of them and they are gone.

jbell113
12-13-2004, 03:44 PM
We got loads of them around here. Even the dam deer walk around unafriaf of mowers. Do you know what it's like mowing around bushes and all of a sudden a huge deer walks out in front of you?

I havent mowed any out of the bushes lately but last spring I was ridin my bike and I was climbing a huge hill and right on the side of the road there were some low lying junipers that were no more than 18 inches tall and a buck jumped up out of them and scared me silly. Less than 4feet away.

out4now
12-13-2004, 03:55 PM
Ours live in a bottle :p Kidding aside they probably just aren't smart enough to do anything else. We stopped on a mountain raod here in AZ one year and the turkeys and even some elk came straight up to the truck. I convinced that they know the difference between fishing poles and hunting gear.

Q-Team Inc
12-13-2004, 04:10 PM
They are everywhere here in Maine. The wildlife dept. had a re-intruduction(sp) program that has taken off. I have literally seen a flock of turkeys everyday for the past 6 months. A flock around here usally consists of 20+/- turkeys. If you have a few around your yard you will have 10 more the next season. I personally like seeing them around. I just don't feed them!!!! :)

Expert Lawns
12-13-2004, 04:11 PM
I counted six as well. What is that crazy looking tan thing on the ground next to them?

I hit a wild turkey up north near Mio in my Dodge Ram. Damn thing busted in my grill and dented the bumper. This one was quite a bit bigger than the ones in your picture. No, they don't like donuts.

LawnMower
12-13-2004, 04:15 PM
Those had to be someones pets at one time cuz down here you cant get within 100 yards of them and they are gone.

Ya I bet your right. It just seems like all of the sudden, there around. In my 38 years iv never seen them here, then bam, there they are. Almost like they escaped from someone's farm or someone set them free. They come right up to ya, like there used to people. There not really scared of the mowers. They just kind of mosey away to the next yard where I'm not mowing. They don't panic like most birds would. Oh and I must have miscounted the Turkeys in the picture. I guess there are six. Or it could be a wolf in Turkeys clothing. Hes just waiting for the right time to grab supper.

ztoro
12-13-2004, 04:28 PM
Last month I was mowing a yard close to mine. I came around the back of the house and I almost mowed over 5 wild turkeys that were there. These birds aren't small. I never saw anything like it in my life. Not around my town anyway. Well ever sinse that day, I see the turkeys all the time. Now there coming up to my front yard. sometimes there's 6 of them, but in this picture there's only 5. One seems to be the dominant Turkey. They don't like donuts. They don't even like carrots. They did however love the corn I put out there. Now I feel I made some new best friends. They don't seem to be afraid of people. Im sure that some of you guys look at this picture and see supper, haha. Every time I see them I think im going crazy.

Wild turkeys in newport?????? I thought there were only drunks, college kids and sailors in Newport...???????

I attended Salve and live up there for like 6 years... what a place... I was in shock when I moved back to NJ

Evan528
12-13-2004, 04:46 PM
2 days before Thanksgiving I was driving and saw 4 or 5 of them walking down the street. I had to give a second look because I thought maybe I was halusinating......Just something you dont see around here either! ;)

ztoro
12-13-2004, 04:52 PM
they are pretty common by me... I have a pack that lives down by the river... I hear them gobbling everymorning....

The there are a few other packs that you always see thm in the same area....

dfor
12-13-2004, 05:07 PM
1 day before Thanksgiving I was driving down Rt. 2 in E.G. and I saw one limping on the other side of the road. Don't you know, it decides to start flying across the street. They take a long time to gain any altitude. Yup, I caught it with my right front headlight. Not sure what happened to it. I see them all the time on this side of the bay.

geogunn
12-13-2004, 05:36 PM
You're lucky there wasn't a Tom there. He would let you know why you shouldn't get near his hens.

actually richard--there is at least one TOM in the group.

GEO

jim dailey
12-13-2004, 07:30 PM

Maybe it has something to do with your looks...

jim dailey
12-13-2004, 07:32 PM
I havent mowed any out of the bushes lately but last spring I was ridin my bike and I was climbing a huge hill and right on the side of the road there were some low lying junipers that were no more than 18 inches tall and a buck jumped up out of them and scared me silly. Less than 4feet away.

SEE, told You that you were not that handsome, handsome.

beransfixitinc
12-13-2004, 07:55 PM
1 day before Thanksgiving .....Not sure what happened to it. .

I bet once you deep fried it, your family didn't even know it wasn't a butterball from the store...

LawnMower
12-13-2004, 10:10 PM
You know? I bet if you put one of them there Turkeys on the holiday dinner table? The meat would be so tough you wouldn’t be able to cut the gravy.

There’s a 90-year-old woman down the street from me. She was telling me a story of when she was a kid. Dad went out and shot a pheasant for Christmas or Thanks giving. The meat was so tough they couldn’t cut the gravy she said. Boy I laughed at that.

Envy Lawn Service
12-13-2004, 10:19 PM
You know? I bet if you put one of them there Turkeys on the holiday dinner table? The meat would be so tough you wouldn’t be able to cut the gravy.

There’s a 90-year-old woman down the street from me. She was telling me a story of when she was a kid. Dad went out and shot a pheasant for Christmas or Thanks giving. The meat was so tough they couldn’t cut the gravy she said. Boy I laughed at that.
I found that pretty amusing myself... went right over the wife's head though...

BryPaulD
12-13-2004, 10:29 PM
*gets hungry* marinade injected meat with a seasoned skin, deepfried at 350 for a half hour or so. Yuuuummmmy

beransfixitinc
12-13-2004, 11:09 PM
*gets hungry* marinade injected meat with a seasoned skin, deepfried at 350 for a half hour or so. Yuuuummmmy

To ensure thourough cooking of the meat, the rate is 360 degrees, 3 -5 minutes per pound per bird. Meat is considered safe and done when an "instant readout" thermometer reads between 170 and 180.

LawnMower
12-14-2004, 01:58 PM
I was up the town garage today talking with the guys. I mentioned to Tony that theres been wild turkeys around my yard. He said, oh ya...those are from Paul Roderick's farm. They wander around all over the place. Tony has a dear that wonders into his yard every morning at 6 am. The dear is so used to him that it will practically eat out of his hand. It took years for the dear to do that. Every day little by little they get used to you.

But anyway, I know where the Turkeys came from now, and why there so friendly.

LawnMower
12-15-2004, 01:01 PM
Speaking of eating, you know what a sure fire way to upset your stomach and wind up in the bathroom a few more times then usual? A slab of summer sausage. I bought a 10 inch log from Wall-mart yesterday. I'm hereing sounds from my belly like theres something trying to get out.

Oh boy is summer sausage good, its just not meant for human consumption.

beransfixitinc
12-15-2004, 02:09 PM
Speaking of eating, you know what a sure fire way to upset your stomach and wind up in the bathroom a few more times then usual? A slab of summer sausage. I bought a 10 inch log from Wall-mart yesterday. I'm hereing sounds from my belly like theres something trying to get out.

Oh boy is summer sausage good, its just not meant for human consumption.

Well, yeah, when you buy it from Wal-Mart. If you're gonna get summer sausage, or, maybe it's called cervelaet, you gotta get it FROM a meat market. Not talking about a deli in Wal-Mart or some other chain store.. I mean from a "kill em in the back, sell em in the front" market.

LawnMower
12-15-2004, 04:52 PM
I wish we had a place like that around here. My buddy used to live near Pittsburgh, and he used to bring me bear sausage, dear sausage. You kill it and bring it to them, they do what you want to the meat. That too gave me horrendous gas, but it was good eating.

For me right now, I have to settle for a huge Hillshire Farm log of summer sausage. Its good eating, but it goes down sideways.

hzr03
02-19-2005, 03:27 PM
#5 12-13-2004, 02:00 PM
beransfixitinc
Senior Member Join Date: May 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMower
sometimes there's 6 of them, but in this picture there's only 5. One seems to be the dominant Turkey. .

I'm sorry.. in your photo, I count 6 turkeys... maybe one is something different?

Sorry to hear that you are a turkey counting scrub!

beransfixitinc
02-19-2005, 10:37 PM
#5 12-13-2004, 02:00 PM
beransfixitinc
Senior Member Join Date: May 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMower

Sorry to hear that you are a turkey counting scrub!

Turkey counting scrub?

newbies....

David Grass
02-20-2005, 07:21 AM
We have em here in asheville also, come down off the mountain to some of my yards, I love it, it gives me a chance to chase them with my Z mower, I laugh, feel good, I think they actually like it too, because they know how to stay just far enough away, takes the repetitiveness of the job out!

LawnMower
03-03-2005, 10:16 AM
I took this latest picture of them. When a turkey spreads his feathers is it trying to be a tough turkey, or is he being romantic?

Markf
03-03-2005, 11:53 AM
The only thing I see in these pictures is dinner!! Seriously, if you feed them you will be inundated with turkeys. Local paper ran an article about a guy that started feeding them and now the damage to his house is great. Not to mention the feces problem and how the acid can etch the windows and car paint.

LawnMower
03-03-2005, 03:55 PM
Everyone in my neighborhood is so fascinated by them, that they feed them all the time. People put out cracked corn and such. Iv seen them not eat the corn, do to the fact there probably too full from the last yard. I give them a slice of bread ones in a wile if I'm in the mood. Iv seen people pull there car over get out and take pictures of them. Wild turkeys are really bizarre around here, and people are kind of shocked at first.

marko
03-03-2005, 04:20 PM
I used to work as a security contractor for the Department of Energy in Amarillo. One day a bone head was in a security tower (a saturday) practicing his turkey call over the intercom and sure as &%$# the next morning there were 5 roosting on top of the tower. One of them stayed at the plant for at least 6 years and even had the timing down to be waiting at a gate that was only open from 7 to 8 am and 4 to 5pm. He would come in from the low security side, go to the fire department which was in a higher security area and spend the day eating Ralstons Purina Turkey Food (no joke), then leave with the pedestrian traffic at night back to the low security side to go to where ever he lived. He had to cross a busy road to get to the gate and needless to say somebody wacked him one foggy morning as he was going to get some chow!

LawnMower
11-15-2005, 09:18 AM
Well its getting near Thanks Giving and now we have a lot more turkeys. Last year there was about 4 or something. Now theres 2 toms that walk around and intimidate kids and people. Then theres this flock the goes from yard to yard.

I bet a lot of guys see Thanks giving dinner here.

meathead1134
11-15-2005, 09:34 AM
:confused: :confused: Now thats a strange turkey story. I was driving s friend to the airport and saw some wild turkeys on RT 95 south in RI
I used to work as a security contractor for the Department of Energy in Amarillo. One day a bone head was in a security tower (a saturday) practicing his turkey call over the intercom and sure as &%$# the next morning there were 5 roosting on top of the tower. One of them stayed at the plant for at least 6 years and even had the timing down to be waiting at a gate that was only open from 7 to 8 am and 4 to 5pm. He would come in from the low security side, go to the fire department which was in a higher security area and spend the day eating Ralstons Purina Turkey Food (no joke), then leave with the pedestrian traffic at night back to the low security side to go to where ever he lived. He had to cross a busy road to get to the gate and needless to say somebody wacked him one foggy morning as he was going to get some chow!

METRO 36
11-15-2005, 09:54 AM
we have a lot of turkeys here in the hills of southdakota. In the winter when a storm comes up or when it starts to snow in the higher elavation's the bighorn sheep come down out of the mountains.If you think turkeys are aggrasive try doing a fall clean up with a bighorn sheep trying to put a horn up your well you get the picture and if you try to chase them witha z they'll probaly end up in your lap.

mkwl
11-15-2005, 08:47 PM
We've got LOTS of them here in Northern, NJ! I counted 67 once, which was just ONE group of them.

liquidforcedude7
11-15-2005, 09:46 PM
My neighborhood is being like overtaken with deer. It used to be if you lived much past my neighborhood you lived in the country or in the woods. But now we've had like 12 more huge devolopments coming in and now to get outa the suburbs you need to go another 10 miles or so, all were doing is pushing these wild animals out of their homes and there coming into ours, its becoming redicules...

No Lawncares
11-15-2005, 11:10 PM
Here in Michigan we got a couple cougars running around my area.

EXspyguy
11-16-2005, 08:48 AM
I like to watch when the local farm spreads manure, The wild turkeys are waiting with anticipation. They love to root around in the s%$t for leftover corn. Sometimes close to 100 birds in one flock.

LawnMower
11-22-2005, 01:31 PM
What do you think is going through my cats mind right now? lol

METRO 36
11-22-2005, 08:56 PM
How Can I Get Tat In My Mouth.........

P & L Turf
11-25-2005, 04:24 PM
Sounds like you should invest in a gun and a turkey deep fryer!!!!! Wild turkeys are some good eatin!

sildoc
11-25-2005, 07:15 PM
What do you think is going through my cats mind right now? lol
I have seen wild turkeys fight. I have also seen cats fight. Unless your cat is a mountain lion in disguise it will loose. a few flaps of those powerful wings and a spur and a peck. Little kitty goes a running for cover.
But ohhhhh the American way. drooooolin over something we know we cant have.

Roger
11-25-2005, 09:06 PM
[I have seen wild turkeys fight. I have also seen cats fight. Unless your cat is a mountain lion in disguise it will loose.]

The Wall St Journal had a front page story last Wednesday regarding the agressive behaviors of wild turkeys, especially the toms. Reading the stories was funny, but undoubtedly not so funny for those people involved in the altercations. Message of the story: beware of the agression and take them seriously.

sildoc
11-25-2005, 09:16 PM
[I have seen wild turkeys fight. I have also seen cats fight. Unless your cat is a mountain lion in disguise it will loose.]

The Wall St Journal had a front page story last Wednesday regarding the agressive behaviors of wild turkeys, especially the toms. Reading the stories was funny, but undoubtedly not so funny for those people involved in the altercations. Message of the story: beware of the agression and take them seriously.

I have a property that has wild turkeys reguarly. I will mow around them anytime other than spring when they are mating. At that point just about any thing will set them off. we usually try to run them off the property before we start working.